TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

51 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

"struggling" is extremely relative and subjective. While Internet discourse is only divided into "best ever" and "worst ever" the cast, vast majority of audiences have liked the shows and movies.

Doctor Strange 2 WOM  is definitely MixEd at best. Have to wait and see for Thor 4.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/07/the-marvel-machine-breaks-down-in-thor-love-and-thunder

'There were many die-hard fans at my screening, excited moviegoers in costumes, ginned up by free swag and the giddiness of sneak-preview exclusivity. A radio DJ from a big New York station acted as a hype man for the event, doing a little Thor trivia game with the audience before the credits rolled, aided by the two new stars of ABC’s The Bachelorette. That was a bizarre bit of corporate synergy (Disney owns both Marvel and ABC), but one that, I suppose, was appropriately weird and out-of-left-field for the pre-show at a Taika Waititi movie. Once the film started, though, I could feel the crowd’s enthusiasm swiftly waning—hearty, appreciative laughs gave way to dutiful chuckles, which gave way to unnerving silence. I’m no defender of corporatized fandom, but I did feel a bit sad for the loyalists in the audience, so palpable was their disappointment.'

😬

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

Saw this today, 1st Marvel movie I have genuinely disliked in a long long time, even Eternals was passable. The movie is just plain boring for long stretches and that's all I am going to say. There's some definite course correction required otherwise the ROI will keep on decreasing with new movies.

i will say it was only a midday showing with like 20 people but the movie didn't inspire anything more than some polite chuckles with my audience. though at the end some youths in front of me were like "that was CRAZY" like they loved it so idk.

I think it's been so long since Batman & Robin people have forgotten what it looks like when you lean too heavily into farce/comedy/camp. Thor isn't Ant-Man or Guardians of the Galaxy, he oughta be taken a bit more seriously than what Waititi's been doing. 

• Like 1

It has fleeting moments that really work, but it's overall a dud. Hems, Portman and Bale all really go for it and deserved a better movie.

I never once bought into the idea that Ragnarok undercut its serious with comedy. With the exception of the Korg gag after Asgard is destroyed, the drama is played pretty straight and the comedy is all about revealing character. Here it's just gag after gag, thrown at the wall in the hope that they stick, and almost none of them land. I ended up chuckling a few times because Hems was really, really going for it and I felt I had to give something. Because it's so relentless with poking fun at itself, I found it hard to commit to the drama. 

The internet is going to hate this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Saw this today, 1st Marvel movie I have genuinely disliked in a long long time, even Eternals was passable. The movie is just plain boring for long stretches and that's all I am going to say. There's some definite course correction required otherwise the ROI will keep on decreasing with new movies.

People keep saying "roi is decreasing" with zero actual evidence. Doctor Strange 2 did 300+ the first one, this is tracking higher than Ragnarok, is people's baseline for bombing these days literally "not a billion dollars and 90 RT"??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrPink said:

That seems....not good. Where did Multiverse of Madness start?

It was about 90% if I'm not wrong. It's always over 90% for almost all MCU movies and they end up dropping about 10%.

FDdHNsfXsAAqqxH?format=png&name=900x900

Eternals debuted with 86%... so yeah, not good at all.

EDIT:

Just found this screenshot when it had 5,000 ratings at 88%

FSIXpPiWUAAI3Nx?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by belblazer