TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

2 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

I mean I know it's a much smaller niche audience thing, but you should see what film twitter was saying about Alex Garland lmao.  Like they were basically implying he was racist for the story decisions in Men, which okay sure is a bad movie, but it's not that serious idt. I think film twitter is just prone to overreaction, like it's not just that a director made a stinker movie, he has to be the WORST person ever as well. 

Thor is a much bigger movie so the reactions get amplified. Plus Taika is more of a celebrity director and more in the public eye from his other projects/acting/etc. 

I watched Men last week and i'm still trying to understand what people saw on that movie to get so offended lol 

18 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I watched Men last week and i'm still trying to understand what people saw on that movie to get so offended lol 

I mean it’s a bad movie imo but people were reading waaaay too much into it. Some of the letterboxd reviews are just insane lol 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I used to read the Deuxmoi subreddit, someone was always ranting about Taika abandoning his New Zealander wife and kids to go party it up with starlets. Whatever, internet randoms don't know what happened in someone else's marriage and they split years ago, but that was part of the backlash.

I do think it's a bit...interesting that we live a time where people on Twitter constantly question age gaps of any sort, if movies should even have love scenes and overall "power dynamics", but attractive actor/directors making out with their cast members (on or offscreen) is totally fine, apparently. Would everyone who was all, "Chill out, they're adults!" about the Taika/Rita/Tessa pics have been as blasé about photos of James Gunn/Karen Gillan or Zendaya and Jon Watts getting similarly cosy? I'm going to say no.

The movie didn't turn out amazingly but at least they seem to have had a good time making it? Oh well..

Rita and Tessa are both in their 30's. Taika is in his 40's. At that point, people are more or less like date whoever you want. If it was an early 20s actress involved, I'm sure the reaction would've been different. Let's be honest, being attractive helps a lot cause everyone on earth can imagine why Taika/Rita/Tessa would wanna all bang each other but when its an unattractive man, you start questioning whether people are there by choice or cause it's their boss. Men get into trouble when their attentions are unwanted. Don't think that's an issue for Taika by and large lol. 

• Like 1

Next Goals Wins isn't ready, simple as that

They reshoot it recently because they kick Armie from the cast, and then Taika had Thor post and OOMD to shoot, so he didn't have time to focus on NGW. 

Just because it won't release this year doesn't mean it's bad. 

It tested recently in fact, to great responses

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Next Goals Wins isn't ready, simple as that

They reshoot it recently because they kick Armie from the cast, and then Taika had Thor post and OOMD to shoot, so he didn't have time to focus on NGW. 

Just because it won't release this year doesn't mean it's bad. 

It tested recently in fact, to great responses

FWIW this is what the Playlist writer said, who I trust more than VA

11 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

It is fair to say that the MCU was considered doomed by many because of continuity lockout. 
Now, many say they are concerned they don’t know what parts 28 and 29 are leading to. 
It is a little funny. Shows how much Endgame stuck the landing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

It is fair to say that the MCU was considered doomed by many because of continuity lockout. 
Now, many say they are concerned they don’t know what parts 28 and 29 are leading to. 
It is a little funny. Shows how much Endgame stuck the landing. 

Even if it's far out maybe they should announce the Russo's doing Secret Wars early at SDCC next week, just so people stop complaining about having not reached the next Endgame yet.

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

He didn't said anything contradicting ViewerAnon tho? 

The post was Taika confirming the movie is coming in 2022, Gregory said it's not and Taika was mistaken because it's still on editing room (which is true, Waititi corrected himself and said 2023 days after that).

But he didn't said anything regards the quality of the movie, VA did and he have a great track on this, if he said it tested very well than it did.

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

He didn't said anything contradicting ViewerAnon tho? 

The post was Taika confirming the movie is coming in 2022, Gregory said it's not and Taika was mistaken because it's still on editing room (which is true, Waititi corrected himself and said 2023 days after that).

But he didn't said anything regards the quality of the movie, VA did and he have a great track on this, if he said it tested very well than it did.

VA is an attention whore sometimes, so I don't trust him. "Not an awards play" is all I needed to see. I don't think movie will be bad but if it's released in spring 2023 instead of a prime awards schedule, it likely means it's just... fine, good, more commercial, etc

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

VA is an attention whore sometimes, so I don't trust him. "Not an awards play" is all I needed to see. I don't think movie will be bad but if it's released in spring 2023 instead of a prime awards schedule, it likely means it's just... fine, good, more commercial, etc

I see, yeah i just want a good movie, it doesn't really need to be an awards contender to me. It doesn't even sound like one indeed to be honest, it could've tried TIFF or something but i doubt it will ended up nominated for an Oscar anyway, doesn't look like something with appeal for them like Jojo.

Maybe it's for the best, people on twitter is already fuming at every breath he did, better to not enter in another Oscar campaign right now.

Why are people expecting every Taika Waititi film to be an awards contender, and then when they’re not (like Next Goal Wins seemingly might not be) they automatically assume that it means it’s probably trash? What We Do in the Shadows and The Hunt for the Wilderpeople are hardly awards contenders, and those are arguably his best films. No awards doesn’t always mean something is bad.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sports comedies basically never get awards nominations. Comedies in general don’t, so I don’t see how this is a problem. I think Fighting with my Family is an absolute delight and riot but it would never in a million years have gotten nominated for anything important. 

I do think this will still go to TIFF, and based on the reactions there they may decide to either give it a qualifying run or not. I mean I can’t imagine they wouldn’t if it won the TIFF audience award again but if it’s just like an 85 on RT type of thing, I don’t think they’ll campaign it especially if Taika won’t even be in the country for most of the season. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Ellwood is already 100% wrong in this thread about something though. He’s saying it won’t be done until end of 2022 but the film is actually completed (see Eric Kohn’s indiewire interview), so I wouldn’t say he’s reliable and he has a fairly spotty history of reporting when it comes to awards. 

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 1

B+ CS

7.0 IMDB (57K)

5.5 Metacritic Audience (239)

81% RT Verified Audience (5000+)

74% RT All Audience (10,000+)

Social media reactions really missfired. They sounded like it would be much better received. Remember "better than Ragnarok" "best Phase 4 movie", etc? Overt enthusiasm over being the one to see something first plus shills created inflated expectations for how it would play with larger audience. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Just now, Valonqar said:

B+ CS

7.0 IMDB (57K)

Social media reactions really missfired. They sounded like it would be much better received. Over enthusiasm over being the one to see something first plus shills created inflated expectations for how it would play with larger audience. 

WW84 exactly. At this point I think if Kathleen Kennedy announces a SW movie, we should just assume the director’s next film will be a flop. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

B+ CS

7.0 IMDB (57K)

Social media reactions really missfired. They sounded like it would be much better received. Remember "better than Ragnarok" "best Phase 4 movie", etc? Overt enthusiasm over being the one to see something first plus shills created inflated expectations for how it would play with larger audience. 

Weirdly reactions were better than DS2 (I checked tweets by the same people), but the actual reception was in fact worse. Only time I saw such a similar disconnect was WW84, it's possible that maybe the world premiere boost helps campy films to be taken more seriously. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

B+ CS

7.0 IMDB (57K)

22 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Weirdly reactions were better than DS2 (I checked tweets by the same people), but the actual reception was in fact worse. Only time I saw such a similar disconnect was WW84, it's possible that maybe the world premiere boost helps campy films to be taken more seriously. 

Yep. This all ended up being very strange to me. The reactions read to me as over 85% on RT, and certainly not worse than Doctor Strange 2's reception. Very weird.