TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

34 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Domestically it did poorly. Internationally it did similar.

$341 Dom gross is no poor performance. SM HC did 330M & SM FFH did 390M in July & both movies were better received than Thor L&T. I think Marvel should consider a December release date instead of July. Aquaman 2 in March or summer would have grossed $250-350M but now it can even gross $500M  because of Christmas date.

Edited by Factcheck

Just now, Factcheck said:

$341 Dom gross is no poor performance. SM HC did 330M & SM FFH did 390M in July & both movies were better received than Thor L&T. I think Marvel should consider a December release date instead July. Aquaman 2 in March or summer would have grossed $250-350M but now it can even gross $500M  because of Christmas date.

340 ain’t what it used to be. Going to end ~16% down from Homecoming in admits and 27% down from FFH. Most relevantly it is ~11% down from Ragnarok admits, when at minimum it should have increased.   

I agree that Marvel should take xmas, but can keep the mid summer slot too, it’s also good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

340 ain’t what it used to be. Going to end ~16% down from Homecoming in admits and 27% down from FFH. Most relevantly it is ~11% down from Ragnarok admits, when at minimum it should have increased.   

I agree that Marvel should take xmas, but can keep the mid summer slot too, it’s also good.

Yea, people seem to forget how big ticket price inflation (domestically) has been in the last 12-16 months. Prices have gone up more in that timeframe than in the preceding decade combined. 

8 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Yea, people seem to forget how big ticket price inflation (domestically) has been in the last 12-16 months. Prices have gone up more in that timeframe than in the preceding decade combined. 

ERs are getting really hit right now tbf. I guess if the DOM:OS-C-R-middle East ratio is similar to Rag that actually represents doing better OS in real terms.

24 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Spider-Man is more popular than Thor & we shouldn't have expected L&T to do opening like MoM when his importance in MCU has been reduced. Thor 4 opening was good considering his reduced importance in MCU now but with better reception it could have done 400M total instead of 340M total.

5 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

ERs are getting really hit right now tbf. I guess if the DOM:OS-C-R-middle East ratio is similar to Rag that actually represents doing better OS in real terms.

Yea I'm sure OS is doing better in similar markets when adjusting for ER, but DOM certainly isn't and a lot of people haven't adjusted to the new domestic pricing dynamic. This is part of the reason I'm becoming more bullish on Avatar 2. With the 3D ratio it's going to have and month long PLF run it's getting, it could average $14-15 a ticket. 

14 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

Spider-Man is more popular than Thor & we shouldn't have expected L&T to do opening like MoM when his importance in MCU has been reduced. Thor 4 opening was good considering his reduced importance in MCU now but with better reception it could have done 400M total instead of 340M total.

Sure, it shouldn’t be held to the standards of spidey or DS2 — but held to th standard of Ragnarok is more than fair.   

The OW was worse than Ragnarok when it should have improved. Good-not-great run would have looked like 160->410 or so perhaps.

17 minutes ago, The More Fun XXR said:

Yea I'm sure OS is doing better in similar markets when adjusting for ER, but DOM certainly isn't and a lot of people haven't adjusted to the new domestic pricing dynamic. This is part of the reason I'm becoming more bullish on Avatar 2. With the 3D ratio it's going to have and month long PLF run it's getting, it could average $14-15 a ticket. 

A1 atp was very inflated relative to the time though. More than A2 will be. So inflation  A1 tickets to A2 tickets will probably be less than 2009:2022 general atp growth, not more.

It’s like Taika just did not give a shit when he made this movie. The talking to the hammer shit would’ve been cringe for just one scene but then it just kept going. Who the fuck approved that? And the part where he rides stormbreaker like a fucking witch? I know Thor fans have always said Thor gets the short end of the stick but this movie was downright disrespectful to the character.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eddyxx said:

It’s like Taika just did not give a shit when he made this movie. The talking to the hammer shit would’ve been cringe for just one scene but then it just kept going. Who the fuck approved that? And the part where he rides stormbreaker like a fucking witch? I know Thor fans have always said Thor gets the short end of the stick but this movie was downright disrespectful to the character.

He's supposed to be the god of thunder and he's giant doofus.

This is the one MCU film - out of what, 30? - I literally try to erase from canon in my head.