Eric the Ape

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

I will say, The Lion King was set up for a $200M+ number, so that's where a lot of the earlier thread disappointment was probably coming from...

It wasn't just number of theaters, although it did get a record.

It was also the showings and screens at those theaters.  With the emptiness heading into the weekend, ala Endgame, TLK got Endgame sets at many places, with as many showings given as Endgame in presale sets.  That doesn't happen, and yet it did for TLK.  

And the presales.  It does turn out they were lifted probably unnaturally by the deals and subscriber bases  b/c the presale to OD % was just so low for a family movie.   I know Charlie has taken heat for his 1st prediction, but he doesn't live in the US, and may not fully grasp the possibility of the presale deals for movies and the way they can move the market.  For this one, I'm betting it was higher than normal, b/c it was the type of movie that would be - not great, but not bad either...good enough to pay for a sale ticket, but maybe not a full price one.  He also doesn't have access to the subscriber bases and their presales towards movies.  Deep Wang cautioned his presale number earlier in the week, and I think (b/c he didn't say) that he was also worried about subscriber sales vs walk up sales...as in, loads of subscribers had bought presold tickets, but not as many moms and pops...

If this movie doesn't turn around on weekdays, midsize and smaller theaters might be in a bind...they really cleared out for this one, and there's not a lot coming quickly...Angry Birds 2 probably made a great call with their Aug 3 prerelease day...they probably should have just moved up and off the late August date to get some screens early...and get more of summer break...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

The Lion King $78,000,000
Spider-Man: Far from Home $6,050,000
Toy Story 4 $4,150,000

Surprising hold for TS4. Were there double showings or something, cause it's gonna drop less than 40% with July weekdays facing huge comp!

FFH weekend drop could be 53-54%. Must have lost premium screens too I guess.

Edited by a2k

3 minutes ago, a2k said:

Surprising hold for TS4. Were there double showings or something, cause it's gonna drop less than 40% with July weekdays facing huge comp!

FFH weekend drop could be 53-54%. Must have lost premium screens too I guess.

yes however, thats a great drop in the face of a 185-200 opener , hc dropped 50% on its third weekend without no competition at all

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

F2 > TLK OW and DOM?

How does Frozen2 double Frozen1's 5-day ow over 3-days? Sorry I don't see the ow part at all.

Dom am thinking it maxes under 550 am guessing 475-525 but weirder things have happened. If it does manage 600 will digest it like we digested BP and I2 - shock, awe and that's Disney being Disney.

Edited by a2k

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

Will be extending its lead over Toy Story 3 if that Friday holds. $400M DOM would be locked with a decent shot of finishing above Toy Story 3's DOM Total which not sure many would have predicted after some of the meltdowns on Toy Story 4's OW. 

Disappointing #s for TLK. This was a strong contender for biggest opening weekend of all time. I blame the National Geographic lions creepily singing with no facial expressions. I also blame poor casting choices like Beyonce who lacks the talent to be anything but Beyonce. People want to hear their beloved Nala, not some tacky popstar. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, La Binoche said:

Disappointing #s for TLK. This was a strong contender for biggest opening weekend of all time. I blame the National Geographic lions creepily singing with no facial expressions. I also blame poor casting choices like Beyonce who lacks the talent to be anything but Beyonce. People want to hear their beloved Nala, not some tacky popstar. 

so you thought that this could challenge 357 ow ? what are you smoking ?

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Will be extending its lead over Toy Story 3 if that Friday holds. $400M DOM would be locked with a decent shot of finishing above Toy Story 3's DOM Total which not sure many would have predicted after some of the meltdowns on Toy Story 4's OW. 

It's looking at 3.45-3.5x+ multi compared to TS3's 3.77x - considering how many years have gone by with increasing front-loading and previews getting huge, that's a great multi TS4's getting.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A  2.86 (140/400) multi for an animated movie behemoth opening the week before Thanksgiving?    No way.

If Elsa will have digital fur then it is a possibility