Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

10 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

People have been going crazy for this lion king thing for years in this forum writing essay after essay about why it would break every record imaginable. So yeah it is not going to “flop” but everything is compared to expectations esp. expectations from 2018. Bragging about how it will do “over a billion” is silly.

Could be worse though, this could have been Detective Pikachu all over again.

Or you know Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Edited by Yandereprime101189

5 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

A 2.82 multi for a SW saga film opening the week before Christmas? No way..

and yet it happened ;) 

SW7 3.8x

RO 3.2x

SW8 2.8x

FRZ1 had a Wed od so comps are skewed but guesstimating that it would have had a 80 ow with a Fri od and managed 400 dom, that's 5x. How much will FRZ2 drop from that multi.

Edited by a2k

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lion-king-weekend-box-office-july-records-1202648944/

‘The Lion King’ Ruling B.O. With $192M-$200M: Record Opening For July & Jon Favreau

Jon Favreau’s Lion King gets an A CinemaScore and 4 stars throughout with general audiences, parents, and kids under 12 on PostTrak.

• Like 1

Either Deadline know something extra about Sat or they revised the weekend estimate up after lower Friday.

Deadline "$81M estimated Friday and a weekend that’s north of $186M, but could even go higher at north of $200M."

Also Deadline "the pic after clocking an estimated $78M yesterday, is now headed to $192M-$200M for the weekend"

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

SW7 3.8x

RO 3.2x

SW8 2.8x

FRZ1 had a Wed od so comps are skewed but guesstimating that it would have had a 80 ow with a Fri od and managed 400 dom, that's 5x. How much will FRZ2 drop from that multi.

Its opening could be twice the size and still be seen by roughly the same amount of people through its total run. Presales and front loading are getting more and more prevalent. With that being said, I didn't say it was doing 140/400, just that's where my ranges start. It could easily do 140/460 and then we're looking at a 3.3x multiplier. My point is, the only OW we've seen of that size in November all finished under 3x, so it stands to reason that it's fairly possible for Frozen 2 to do the same, even if it doesn't. 

44 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Disappointing #s for TLK. This was a strong contender for biggest opening weekend of all time. I blame the National Geographic lions creepily singing with no facial expressions. I also blame poor casting choices like Beyonce who lacks the talent to be anything but Beyonce. People want to hear their beloved Nala, not some tacky popstar. 

Why are you singling out Beyonce when Gambino and Chiwetel are getting much worse reviews? Last time I checked she didn't butcher Be Prepared or was barely heard in Can't You Feel? And that's just songs. Her voice work definitely isn't considered the worst of lambasted lion cast. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Why are you singling out Beyonce when Gambino and Chiwetel are getting much worse reviews? Last time I checked she didn't butcher Be Prepared or was barely heard in Can't You Feel? And that's just songs. Her voice work definitely isn't considered the worst of lambasted lion cast. 

You clearly don't know Binoche.

5 minutes ago, a2k said:

Either Deadline know something extra about Sat or they revised the weekend estimate up after lower Friday.

Deadline "$81M estimated Friday and a weekend that’s north of $186M, but could even go higher at north of $200M."

Also Deadline "the pic after clocking an estimated $78M yesterday, is now headed to $192M-$200M for the weekend"

Read the wording again. When they estimated 81M they said "north of 200M". Now they clock it at 192-200M meaning they don't expect over 200M anymore but cannot call where it would fall between those 2 numbers. In roundabout way, they are distancing from 200M without looking like they are.

• Like 1