Eric Duncan

THE LION KING WEEKEND THREAD l WITH DIGITAL FUR TECHNOLOGY | 191.8M OW (July OW Record, 8th biggest OW of all time) | Endgame beats Avatar. Disney keeps on winning! | SALE: One Month of Gold 50% Off!

Some of the hot takes in this thread…..yikes. 

I'll be honest I haven't been following box office lately because of my busy schedule but also because Ive found it absolutely boring. Every big movie this year has been a Disney one and there haven't really been any surprises (except for Aladdin…which is a Disney movie so yea again with Disney owning the box office this year). So I just haven't found the box office all that interesting. But the reality is that Disney has found a way to make a boat load of money by just releasing live action remakes of their Disney classics. Nothing disappointing about The Lion King's numbers. Our expectations on this forum lead people (myself included in this) to call an opening weekend of $190M as "disappointing." I'm sorry but I have to laugh. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

Some of the hot takes in this thread…..yikes. 

I'll be honest I haven't been following box office lately because of my busy schedule but also because Ive found it absolutely boring. Every big movie this year has been a Disney one and there haven't really been any surprises (except for Aladdin…which is a Disney movie so yea again with Disney owning the box office this year). So I just haven't found the box office all that interesting. But the reality is that Disney has found a way to make a boat load of money by just releasing live action remakes of their Disney classics. Nothing disappointing about The Lion King's numbers. Our expectations on this forum lead people (myself included in this) to call an opening weekend of $190M as "disappointing." I'm sorry but I have to laugh. 

I believe this forum has no idea what they're talking about half the time these days. Some need meds for all the doom and gloom they spew.

Like in what goddamn universe is 180-190 million bad. That's huge money. But but, tracking suggested. . .just stop.

The Lion King is not going to flop, it's going to do well over a billion worldwide, and be one of the biggest films of the year. And, as nature always intended, Disney will be top dog of the year.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Every studio does this with Double Features.  Sony just did it with MIBI when SM opened.

Fudging is Paramount pretending Transformers 4 opened to $100m when every B.O. expert was saying $97m.

Fudging is when Paramount in reporting O/S grosses kept pretending Venezuela's currency and exchange rates were what they were before the biggest latest collapse (before this last one) while every other studio was reporting a fraction of the revenue with far better performing films.

Venezuela Yearly Box Office

2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008

Rank Movie Title Distributor Gross Release
1 Office Christmas Party PPI $19,131,685 12/9
2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows PPI $7,306,069 6/3
3 Moana Disney $6,271,997 11/25
4 Jack Reacher: Never Go Back PPI $5,570,780 11/25
5 Star Trek Beyond PPI $4,874,184 9/2
6 Point Break (2015) WB $4,539,227 1/8
7 Finding Dory Disney $3,319,862 6/17
8 Ben-Hur (2016) PPI $2,533,605 8/19
9 Doctor Strange Disney $1,680,938 11/4
10 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Disney $1,635,844 12/16
11 Zootopia Disney $1,628,000 2/19
12 The Jungle Book (2016) Disney $1,517,326 4/15
13 The Secret Life of Pets UPI $994,212 8/5
14 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $950,317 3/25

Thank you really

Finally someone brought out Paramount obvious fudging for transformers cause I hear all the time that Disney is fudging their numbers, now some say EG numbers are fudged by Disney lol.

Ah the  normal flip flopping, hypocrisy and mental gymnastics on both sides when a blockbuster movie comes out.  BOT, never change 😛

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sunny Max said:

Amazing film DH2 was ... even the whole franchise ...

1 minute ago, Sunny Max said:

Amazing film DH2 was ... even the whole franchise ...

Final Potter film, 3D and summer being a summer weeknight all helped inflate the OW number. Remarkable number but there were very real signifiers that it would jump enormously.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Yeah this isn't a bad number sadly.  I was definitely hoping for it to come in a lot lower before the weekend.  Oh well, at least it had a pretty weak Thursday to Friday increase.

It's going to make so much money, just like Aladdin.

11 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

I believe this forum has no idea what they're talking about half the time these days. Some need meds for all the doom and gloom they spew.

Like in what goddamn universe is 180-190 million bad. That's huge money. But but, tracking suggested. . .just stop.

The Lion King is not going to flop, it's going to do well over a billion worldwide, and be one of the biggest films of the year. And, as nature always intended, Disney will be top dog of the year.

People have been going crazy for this lion king thing for years in this forum writing essay after essay about why it would break every record imaginable. So yeah it is not going to “flop” but everything is compared to expectations esp. expectations from 2018. Bragging about how it will do “over a billion” is silly.

• Disbelief 1

33 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

A  2.86 (140/400) multi for an animated movie behemoth opening the week before Thanksgiving?    No way.

A 2.82 multi for a SW saga film opening the week before Christmas? No way..

and yet it happened ;) 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Final Potter film, 3D and summer being a summer weeknight all helped inflate the OW number. Remarkable number but there were very real signifiers that it would jump enormously.

Extra-ordinary Buzz & Hype as well ... 

• Like 1