Eric Atreides

Halloween Ends | October 14, 2022 | Uni/Blumhouse | In theaters and Peacock on the same day...again!

Just now, DAJK said:

Let’s all be fair, yea I hate that this is day-and-date too. But we all thought it would doom kills, and that piece of garbage still managed to open to 50 million dollars lol.

Kills was coming off a really well liked and reviewed predecessor tbf. This one is coming off Kills otoh. Will definitely be interesting to track.

• Like 3

Halloween Kills and The Conjuring 3 both did pretty well at the box office last year on day and date (TC3 was WB's #3 movie of 2021 globally, only behind Dune and Godzilla v Kong). I think most of the horror audience will still show up for these movies despite the availability at home, because they enjoy the theater experience (that's why the genre didn't die at the box office like other small budget genres).

So I think a movie like Halloween Ends is actually ideal for a release like this, because it will boost Peacock (Kills did very well there according to Samba TV numbers) but it won't do that big of a damage on its box office run. It's not like it was going to have a fantastic run anyway, considering how divisive the previous film was, and word is that this one might too. I understand that as box office nerds we're frustrated when studios don't give movies their best chance at ticket sales but for Universal as a company that's also investing in streaming I think this is not a bad strategy.

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

Did you censor the word Peacock??

You also seem to be forgetting Black Adam the week after this one. With this one going to Peacock, Black Adam is now the first big theatrical and PG-13 movie since... Thor 4 way back in July.

… Ticket to Paradise > Black Adam domestic

• Astonished 1

This reads as a vote of no confidence in the movie itself and that they're using streaming as a possible excuse in the event this sees a pretty notable decline from the previous one even with much better market conditions. On the other hand, in the event this ends up being another Kills I can feel good about not having to spend money to see this.

Would a club that predicts one (or both?) of Bros and/or Ticket to Paradise finishing with higher totals than this be an especially bold one now should they overperform? Seems like it could be fun one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

This reads as a vote of no confidence in the movie itself and that they're using streaming as a possible excuse in the event this sees a pretty notable decline from the previous one even with much better market conditions. On the other hand, in the event this ends up being another Kills I can feel good about not having to spend money to see this.

Would a club that predicts one (or both?) of Bros and/or Ticket to Paradise finishing with higher totals than this be an especially bold one now should they overperform? Seems like it could be fun one.

I would take Bros over Halloween

Ticket To Paradise... I don't know. Oct 21 is a weird date for it. I doubt reviews will be very good. Feels more like a summer or spring release. But the fall is lacking until Thanksgiving when Fabelmans expands. BP2 is a different demo. Amsterdam was pushed to Oct 7th. Banshees of Inisherin is limited the 21st. Til expands wide the 28th. The Son is limited Nov 11th. And then She Said is the 18th but that's a heavy drama compared to light dramaedy coasting off A-list appeal

10 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Well it's a horror so you'll probably like it regardless but Kills got terrible reviews and there's not much of a reason to assume much better for this. The Unviersal peacock releases have been mostly bad movies

Actually, I wasn’t big on Halloween Kills. I’m just optimistic they’ve learned from the response. 

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I wonder what Christopher Nolan has to say about all this. 

I don't see why he would care since they obviously won't touch his movie lol. There were already reports of plenty of bad blood between him and WB re: Tenet before their official breakup.

Just now, filmlover said:

I don't see why he would care since they obviously won't touch his movie lol. There were already reports of plenty of bad blood between him and WB re: Tenet before their official breakup.

I just think there’s a certain irony that he was mad about the HBO Max day and date decision, when Universal are the ones who keep dumping their movies onto their streaming service that nobody cares about, regardless of how much money they make in theaters. If Nolan was really that mad on behalf of movie theaters, he might as well have gone to Sony. 

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I just think there’s a certain irony that he was mad about the HBO Max day and date decision, when Universal are the ones who keep dumping their movies onto their streaming service that nobody cares about, regardless of how much money they make in theaters. If Nolan was really that mad on behalf of movie theaters, he might as well have gone to Sony. 

To be fair, Universal's not been dropping any of their heavy hitters on Peacock, and the stuff they have been doing so are relatively inconsequential projects like Marry Me or Firestarter (now there's a movie that should have been given the Batgirl treatment). Even with Halloween Ends being a hybrid release, they still seem to have given firm theatrical commitments to their remaining six releases (an impressively diverse mix that consists of comedies, prestige dramas, an R-rated Christmas-themed hybrid, and an extension of a powerful animated franchise) for the year, which is probably reassuring enough for the chains.

• Like 1