eddyxx

Fantastic Four | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

What a weird choice, just totally middle-of-the-road -- I'm sure this was one of the 100 projects offered to Clooney that he's recently talked about -- and what about the long-rumored-involved John Krasinski and Emily Blunt?  His directing talent is clearly shown with A QUIET PLACE.  But perhaps they just couldn't get him to commit to directing, either... sounds like they don't have script quite ready, yet.  

Peyton Reed is basically undistinctive, also, but that dude had been attached to developing this for years, and is seemingly in good stead with Marvel (otherwise he wouldn't be coming back for Ant-Man 3) -- so what's the deal, here?  The fact that Watts' movies grossed more?  Well, SPIDER-MAN is more of an iconic property than ANT-MAN.  

Bizarre.  

13 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Fuck you marvel for getting the most boring and uninspired director for this. 

Bombs away.

Yeah, this might bomb as bad as FFH.   

Or even as bad its sequel will? :thinking:

Edited by WandaLegion

On 9/16/2020 at 6:41 PM, Napoleon said:

There was no hate for Marvel in my previous comment. I'm just saying the Fox films made global audiences aware of the Fantastic Four in a way that they will be much more excited for this reboot than if no film adaptation had been made.

Homecoming had to lift Spider-Man from the ditch which Sony left him in with TASM. FF are even deeper in ditch.

On 12/11/2020 at 2:07 AM, marveldcfox said:

Fuck you marvel for getting the most boring and uninspired director for this. 

Bombs away.

Sad thing is that it won’t bomb so he’ll continue to get projects he doesn’t deserve lol. I’m gonna play devil’s advocate here and say that the script, casting, and story they go with is more important for this than the director choice. Lets all be honest here that Kevin Feige is gonna ghost direct this movie. 

Edited by eddyxx
  • Like 1

Can someone explain the Jon Watts hate? I don't get it. Spider-Man in general doesn't do much for me but both of his SM films were good, with high approval from audience and critics. Seems like it's become the MCU fan de jour to cap on him. 

Edited by VenomXXR

21 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Can someone explain the Jon Watts hate? I don't get it. Spider-Man in general doesn't do much for me but both of his SM films were good, with high approval from audience and critics. Seems like it's become the MCU fan de jour to cap on him. 

He’s just a mediocre choice. I don’t hate him but I wish they had gone with a more visually creative director. With Jon Watts the chances of this being on the level of Winter Soldier/Ragnarok just sunk and we have to hope for something better than Captain Marvel or TIH at best.

If they had gone with Peyton Reed then just as many people would’ve been hating that choice.  They can’t all be Sam Raimi folks!

Edited by eddyxx

49 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Lets all be honest here that Kevin Feige is gonna ghost direct this movie. 

Was just going to say the same thing.  I think this and Spidey are obviously Feige's dream projects to "get right."  He's been waiting years to get his hands back on this property.  And Watts is the perfect company man, apparently (still don't know why Reed wasn't first choice,though).  

Edited by Macleod

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Was just going to say the same thing.  I think this and Spidey are obviously Feige's dream projects to "get right."  He's been waiting years to get his hands back on this property.  And Watts is the perfect company man, apparently (still don't know why Reed wasn't first choice,though).  

For all we know it could’ve been something as simple as scheduling. SM3 is filming right now and will be done in a few months while AM3 will be in post when FF probably starts rolling.

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:

For all we know it could’ve been something as simple as scheduling. SM3 is filming right now and will be done in a few months while AM3 will be in post when FF probably starts rolling.

Yep.  I bet Reed is still bummed, though... but I'm sure he'll still be "consulting" on it officially or unofficially (probably gets a Exec Producer credit).  They probably gave him "Kang" as a consolation prize...  

Doom will obviously be introduced into the MCU at some point during the next 5-10 years --On one hand, it may seem obvious for Feige to hold Doom for FF.  On the other hand...it's been done twice now, already... so I could also see them going a different direction, like Spidey, just to switch it up...

Edited by Macleod