eddyxx

Fantastic Four | Marvel Studios | July 25, 2025 | Matt Shakman directs

Moderation

We're not doing this sexist nonsense. If you can't handle women being cast in a silly kids movie about superheroes, go somewhere else. We're not the only place on the Internet where you can talk about Marvel. Don't know why I have to keep reiterating this stuff, but I guess I'll keep doing it until some folks get the message.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

No one wants this version of silver surfer. Bombs away. 

What do you mean by no one? The majority of people who watch superhero movies aren't even hardcore Marvel fans nor have picked up a single comic book in their entire life. Moreover, even within the hardcore fans luckily some of us have common sense and don't get offended when they cast a woman lol 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

What do you mean by no one? The majority of people who watch superhero movies aren't even hardcore Marvel fans nor have picked up a single comic book in their entire life. Moreover, even within the hardcore fans luckily some of us have common sense and don't get offended when they cast a woman lol 

I've even seen some comic book fans (as in nerds who actually read comic books) defend this decision to have a female silver surfer.

2 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

Moreover, even within the hardcore fans luckily some of us have common sense and don't get offended when they cast a woman lol

Plenty of "true fans" got angry at James Bond for being blond in 2006. It's been completely memory holed because the reaction didn't match people's actual experience of the Craig films. Fan anxiety that adaptation will not match their desires is also just a thing in-and-of-itself that's just hard to engage with before you actually have a finished product to unveil. Culture war stuff supercharges it but there's also just a more banal anxiety at play. 

"This character you've been anticipating will not actually appear but his love interest will and she will have his powers" has a culture war valance but also just has a raw text valance. I'm probably the only person in the world who experienced confusion and annoyance at encountering Basil Karlo as Clayface instead of Matt Hagen, an objectively inferior version of the character (in this case it's less the name than the basic characterization/backstory) because there's a small but real hook to the character from a goofy comic book I read as a 9 year old. 

latest?cb=20160617213654

This is a very stupid objection from an "objective canon" approach (both gold and post-silver age versions use the version with a more dramatically relevant backstory but it's also just an obviously real gut reaction. It's just goofy how we pretend this doesn't exist when culture war stuff is layered on top. 

49 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

The whole text/subtext of this being a morally significant act (often combined with a claim to correcting a past injustice) is not unrelated to the rest of the discourse. That's actually a different dynamic than if audiences will in practice accept or reject an adaptation. Both are interesting but they're obviously separable even if people's rhetoric will never admit that. 

Ultimately, adaptations can play by Whose-line-is-it-anyways rules as seen by both TDK and Joker having wildly successful Jokers with a strained connection to the character's target image (including visually for TDK) but it ends up being completely accepted by strength of adaptation. 

2 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

Why does this always happen when I'm asleep?

Unless a load of posts got deleted before I saw them, nothing happened. Comic book movie discourse is increasingly concerned with imagined outrage way more than actual outrage. Joker really opened the floodgates on that one.

anyway, no idea about silver surfer lore but garner almost single-handedly made ozark watchable so this is a win for marvel as far as I’m concerned 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Unless a load of posts got deleted before I saw them, nothing happened. Comic book movie discourse is increasingly concerned with imagined outrage way more than actual outrage. Joker really opened the floodgates on that one.

anyway, no idea about silver surfer lore but garner almost single-handedly made ozark watchable so this is a win for marvel as far as I’m concerned 

There was at least one deleted post that called Disney “woke” for the Julia Garner casting. 

20 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

GKU3oksbYAAA6Tp?format=jpg&name=large

So considering the futuristic city in the background, I'm pretty sure the movie takes place in a separate universe.

47 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

GKU3oksbYAAA6Tp?format=jpg&name=large

So Reed and Sues outfits really are the uniforms then!

Edit: I just noticed Johnny's face also has the lines on it. Definitely didn't expect them to adapt it so literally

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by SpiderByte

Actually, the bottom right corner of the Torch poster has a credit for 20th Century Studios...hm

Just checked and the Deadpool poster also has it, but much smaller in font. Guess it's a holdover from the Fox acquisition?

3 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Actually, the bottom right corner of the Torch poster has a credit for 20th Century Studios...hm

Just checked and the Deadpool poster also has it, but much smaller in font. Guess it's a holdover from the Fox acquisition?

Giver the full name of the Studio they acquired was 20th Century FOx, that is a very safe guess.

20th Century will be Disney's Touchstone and Hollywood Films for the new miiilinium:Handling material they do not want going out under the Disney label to keep the Disney family friendly thing intact, though R rated movies will not be the only thing Disney will release with the 20th Century label.

Wonder if we will get the famous 20th Century Fanfare with the new 20th cenutry releases.

I think the first film  Disney released with the 20th label was "West Side Story"..though why they did that I don't  know nothing in it that would not have fit under the Disney label.

Edited by dudalb