AndyK

The Boys: Amazon Prime SuperHero series.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

Carl Urbans accent is a bit grating, the rest do well.

This is sttaight piss take of Justice League right?

They even got Diana's smile in there.

I think they are meaning for Karl Urban’s accent to be awful, they even make fun of it a couple of times in the episodes I’ve seen.

I’d say there is for sure some Marvel/Disney shade thrown in there as well, especially early on with the economic stuff. 

This premise sounds awesome. I keep seeing online ads for this. Might do as above ^ and watch it this weekend.

The Boys is set in a universe where superpowered individuals are recognized as heroes by the general public and owned by powerful corporation Vought International, who ensures that they are properly marketed and monetized.

It’s a pretty good show. Definitely some shocking scenes. Great characters. And Homelander is a great villain. I really thought he was the sole good superhero at first. The Deep has me simultaneously feeling sorry for him and thinking he got what he deserved.  The finale had a good cliffhanger too. Can’t wait for season 2. 

• Like 1

Finished watching it last night. Great show with great characters. I love how almost everyone is shades of (fairly dark) grey, and it would take only a tiny change in perspective for Butcher to clearly be the villain (and a pretty scary one).

I also like how Homelander’s constant stream of platitudes seemed at least somewhat more genuine when we saw him during the flashbacks from events from several years before, and increasingly rote and even forced when we see him now. By the end he was my favorite character.

Edit - It’s also fun to compare Homelander with The Tick’s Superian as somewhat alarming takes on Superman. Superian is a genuinely good person, but he’s an alien who came to Earth as an adult. He *loves* humanity but like a really good person loves their pet hamsters. If something happened to humanity (or he accidentally killed us all), he’d be SUPER sad about it, like if your dog died, and then move onto another planet to look after.

Homelander isn’t a good person and he looks down on humanity, but he’s still human. Both are hugely overconfident (for good reason) and have serious psychological issues, but Superian is kind of an idiot (even for that show) while Homelander isn’t.

Edited by Wrath

5 episodes in and its great. One of the best superhero shows on television. Homelander (plays evil superman very well) is the standout but all he characters range from very good to great. Always good to see Karl Urban even though Butcher comes off as unlikable plenty of times. The rest of the boys are better and have a good dynamic. The worldbuilding and the way the show presents the corporation's effect on the Seven's personal and moral values (especially Homelander, Starlight, A-Train and The Deep) is the most interesting part of the show for me. 

Lots of crazy/dark/funny moments so far. Airplane scene in episode 4 and the aftermath was particularity memorable. Reading that they toned down the edgyness from the comics alot which seems like the right call since the show is working well so far without appearing too tryhard. 

Amazon didn't skimp on the budget which is nice to see. Only issues were some quick cuts during some the fight scenes (Like the fight at the end of episode 5). 

• Like 2

Finished season 1. Wow that cliffhanger does change the whole plot for Butcher and Homelander. Can't wait to see where it goes next season. The finale was great overall. 

Hoping for more Black Noir next season too.  He's the one of the 7 who got the least screentime but was still good for comic relief and that one fight scene.

Image result for the boys black noir gifs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AndyK said:

Just finished, can't believe i did the whole series thinking how much  Hughies dad looks like Simon Pegg :hahaha:

The accent really threw me !

Apparently in the comics Hughie looks like Simon Pegg (deliberately).

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 11:35 PM, Deja23 said:

The Deep has me simultaneously feeling sorry for him and thinking he got what he deserved.

The Deep's arc is one of the most quietly impressive things about this show.  They set him up as a real d-bag then manage to make him sympathetic without going all the way to really any sort of redemption.  It was an expertly threaded needle.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1

loved this.

19 hours ago, Horner said:

The Deep's arc is one of the most quietly impressive things about this show.  They set him up as a real d-bag then manage to make him sympathetic without going all the way to really any sort of redemption.  It was an expertly threaded needle.

yeah, I agree, very well done.