Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

Can someone tell the full Weekend box office of all films in this most recent Weekend?

https://www.empirecinemas.co.uk/nowshowing/swindon_greenbridge/2D/t30

The screen difference here for the Grinch/Ralph and Aquaman so odd want to know the differences in most recent weekend. 

On the 28th FB2 has 4 screen's i thought that film is basically done already? 

Edited by Wotad

54 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Much as I am delighted by the insinuation that not posting that much on this particular forum before means that I am not capable of discussing these matters, you're arguing against yourself here. Bohemian Rhapsody didn't open to the number of screens that Poppins is doing.

Your whole post is a long description and justification of why MPR shouldn't be expecting to open spectacularly highly and should simply expect to be the equivalent of a successful family movie. Mid 60s should be okayish. Over 75 would be a big success.

I agree.

Which is why it begs the question of why MPR has been granted the enormous amount of screens it has compared to those other movies. 

I think you did not understood what I tried to show.

I do not care what other movies did nor when.... no movie's release situation is the same as the one of others.

Also to compare material like Bohemian Rhapsody (only one of many big differences: as pointed already out, with a ton of fans still living and waiting, but beforehand maybe seen/guessed as not as big in numbers as e.g James Bond fans) makes no sense to me at all, one will get other numbers (OW and mp) as a movie special aimed on certain ages of family members, and especial around Christmas might not aim for a high OW, but a nice stable holiday run. And during that first and second week of its run (beside 25th December) it might 'need' the screens more than another movie.

Especially as a few days after MPs release the next big-ish release is coming (today = Bumblebee).

In my POV its way too generalizing to compare in such a way

Its not about to maximise the possible results of another film, they all try to get conditions for maximising their own product on the distributor side. E.g. per ( short IMAX) very wide spread start to get awareness for the upcoming important days, when the next movie also interesting for the young ones get released = distributor = only one side of the coin. The few days before 24 December = typically preparation, travelling to relatives,....

During holiday they (cinemas) need to serve very different customers than during other times of the years.

Widest release.... during times families with younger kids even goes to the cinema. Like Heretic already suggested, the later dates might be blocked for Bank holiday. Or to a degree for when (time of day) which movie is 'needed'.

Way too early, we do not even have details for that but already some judge. We will see.

In a few weeks we can see if some ppl at booking films (the cinema owner side) guessed right or not, its not the first time they were right, wrong or middle ground. Booking for those conditions happens a very long time before release. A long time earlier there are usually other tracking numbers... as time-near to the release....

And e.g. the recent success of music related material might have played too in the rather wide release situation, there is always hope for more, constant income for the cinema owners, not only the big budget tent-poles.

In general, it's not like in China, where cinema owners decide day per day.

= in my POV especially a lot of the new ones all over BOT do react way over the top way too early (but some of the older members too, see fan wars thread in dom)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/uk-cinema-admissions-poised-hit-almost-50-year-high-1171337

2018 has been a big year for cinema in the U.K. So big, in fact, that it's about to break a nearly 50-year record for the number of admissions. 

According to the U.K. Cinema Association, admissions in November reached 14.8 million, up 5 percent from the same month in 2017 and leaving the sector "tantalizingly close" (just 14 million admissions) to the 176 million mark for 2018, the highest figure since 1970.

While 2018 hasn't included a James Bond title, which generally tops the box office, and the summer saw England's unexpectedly lengthy run in the soccer World Cup keep cinemagoers out of theaters, the number has been buoyed by a bumper crop of films surpassing the $40 million mark, including Deadpool 2, Peter Rabbit, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther, Incredibles 2, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again and Avengers: Infinity War (which tops the year's list with $96.6 million).

Aquaman, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Mary Poppins Returns are all expected to join the $40 million club soon.

• Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

2018 has been a big year for cinema in the U.K. So big, in fact, that it's about to break a nearly 50-year record for the number of admissions. 

According to the U.K. Cinema Association, admissions in November reached 14.8 million, up 5 percent from the same month in 2017 and leaving the sector "tantalizingly close" (just 14 million admissions) to the 176 million mark for 2018, the highest figure since 1970.

While 2018 hasn't included a James Bond title, which generally tops the box office, and the summer saw England's unexpectedly lengthy run in the soccer World Cup keep cinemagoers out of theaters, the number has been buoyed by a bumper crop of films surpassing the $40 million mark, including Deadpool 2, Peter Rabbit, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Bohemian Rhapsody, Black Panther, Incredibles 2, Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again and Avengers: Infinity War (which tops the year's list with $96.6 million).

Aquaman, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and Mary Poppins Returns are all expected to join the $40 million club soon.

No original HP, James Bond, LotR, Star Wars,.... (the old and ~ actual big hitters) and (o.K. he MCU is a big hitter, but was also releasing the last decade) still surpassing such an old admission record. Its spread out more and that is very healthy for the survival (and at some places revival) of the cinemas, I love it.

Thanks for that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, this screen debate is silly now. I saw Aquaman on the 12th in IMAX, 7.30 PM and it was less than half full. A second time last Thursday, to take advantage of its last day in IMAX, and there were maybe 30 of us in there (again, 7.30-ish showing). Forget Star Wars - this was mediocre by most superhero movie standards. I really do think they should have continued showing Aquaman in IMAX, on a sharing basis with MPR, as I believe it would be more attractive to people in that format compared to 2D/3D, but in all honesty, the demand for Aquaman just hasn't been there in the market.

Whenever I got the trailer, the responses were minimal, and even my friends that are interested in superhero movies or cinema in general had little excitement for it. In all honesty, I think there was little excitement about ANY movie this season. I had to write a friggin essay to convince a friend to go see Into The Spiderverse - this is someone who LOVES superhero movies, and I had to rant numerous times about how it's the best Spiderman movie and one of my favorite superhero movies ever before beating him into submission. And even MPR - yes, I believe it will do REALLY well, with a very leggy run, but I never got a real sense of excitement around it when speaking to people.

I think Star Wars and before that to a lesser extent the Hobbit movies have spoiled us and now movies meeting expectations is somehow disappointing and that causes us to come up with silly arguments such as the screen discussion. 

None of the Christmas releases are having a "must-see" effect in Western, traditional markets, hence the lower openings, but one or two of them could very well leg it out. Conversely, the expanding markets in Asia and Eastern Europe will embrace the big, CG-heavy, fun and stupid action-adventure superhero movie that embraces its silliness, just like Venom earlier this year...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yeah, this screen debate is silly now. I saw Aquaman on the 12th in IMAX, 7.30 PM and it was less than half full. A second time last Thursday, to take advantage of its last day in IMAX, and there were maybe 30 of us in there (again, 7.30-ish showing). Forget Star Wars - this was mediocre by most superhero movie standards. I really do think they should have continued showing Aquaman in IMAX, on a sharing basis with MPR, as I believe it would be more attractive to people in that format compared to 2D/3D, but in all honesty, the demand for Aquaman just hasn't been there in the market.

Whenever I got the trailer, the responses were minimal, and even my friends that are interested in superhero movies or cinema in general had little excitement for it. In all honesty, I think there was little excitement about ANY movie this season. I had to write a friggin essay to convince a friend to go see Into The Spiderverse - this is someone who LOVES superhero movies, and I had to rant numerous times about how it's the best Spiderman movie and one of my favorite superhero movies ever before beating him into submission. And even MPR - yes, I believe it will do REALLY well, with a very leggy run, but I never got a real sense of excitement around it when speaking to people.

I think Star Wars and before that to a lesser extent the Hobbit movies have spoiled us and now movies meeting expectations is somehow disappointing and that causes us to come up with silly arguments such as the screen discussion. 

None of the Christmas releases are having a "must-see" effect in Western, traditional markets, hence the lower openings, but one or two of them could very well leg it out. Conversely, the expanding markets in Asia and Eastern Europe will embrace the big, CG-heavy, fun and stupid action-adventure superhero movie that embraces its silliness, just like Venom earlier this year...

Keep trying to sell that MPR is not a flop 

Just now, Brinatico said:

Keep trying to sell that MPR is not a flop 

I literally have zero attachment to the property and my post was more addressing the fact that Aquaman losing screens is not some grave injustice - whether the screens going to MPR or another movie is a completely different point. I haven't seen nor do I have any interest in seeing MPR anytime soon, but if there's one market where I am certain it will have a leggy run over Christmas, it's the UK. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Paddington 2 made £43m. Only 33 films have ever made above £50m in the U.K and over half of them are Potter/SW/Bond/LotR sequels, and the majority of others are monster hits like Titanic/Avatar/Mamma Mia.

Maybe I’m completely out of touch but what were people expecting for MPR? £70m?

Also the screen argument is a bit boring now why can’t people get over it. It’s not like anything else is lighting up the box office right now. Hilarious how offended some are. 

Americans have been in this thread displaying a very strange inability to grasp that not every country are losing their shit to see the eighth comic book movie of the year and that a musical might take priority over a superhero film.

Fanboyism needs to die in 2019. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 6

48 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/uk-cinema-admissions-poised-hit-almost-50-year-high-1171337

Highest since 1970? wow.

In germany the year will be the lowest since either 1992 or 1990 or if it's even worse 1989, and if it is below 1989 than the worst ever.

• Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Americans have been in this thread displaying a very strange inability to grasp that not every country are losing their shit to see the eighth comic book movie of the year and that a musical might take priority over a superhero film.

So true.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Americans have been in this thread displaying a very strange inability to grasp that not every country are losing their shit to see the eighth comic book movie of the year. 

And what you want us to see.

The musicals and animal talking dumb movies.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

With another 8-ish superhero movies next year, not to mention some Disney releases that are bound to generate all kinds of discussions (Aladdin and TLK in particular), not to mention Episode IX... Let's just say that's not gonna happen.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I am old enough for the first MP, I do not know anyone who saw it then and so on beside MP being in the top 10 in my country of 1964. (edit: including myself)

For part 2 I did not see one advertisement, have no idea why ppl expect it to be successful at all nor why ppl would be even be interested into it (no modern music, no familiar music,.. playing in a past that is quite a bit back,...) but I am aware about a lot of people not being me wanting something else at Christmas.

I think you are right, we seem a bit too used to the big ones, a lot seem to get jaded by the record breakers, are seemingly not satisfied by many mid-sized ones, only want records. Funnily since years there are also complaints about not enough diverse movies, too many big-earners not letting earn the smaller ones also.

But as the admissions count show, its a good year for UK cinemas (US too, some other countries had very bad ones) and that is all that counts in my POV

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I will say it's insane how I keep hearing songs from The Greatest Showman every 30 minutes on the radio (I am subjected to Heart in the office), and I've not heard any snippets of MPR songs anywhere so far.

lol i mean TGS song is current song that teenage can sing-along and have fun,it fits in radio too,meanwhile mary poppin song is boring and outdate,no mainstream and pop radio wants to play that.....

11 minutes ago, Brinatico said:

And what you want us to see.

The musicals and animal talking dumb movies.

“I can’t believe the British aren’t that bothered about watching a movie about a fish-man created to improve the reading skills of poor 5 year olds in the 1940’s!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, boyamama said:

lol i mean TGS song is current song that teenage can sing-along and have fun,it fits in radio too,meanwhile mary poppin song is boring and outdate,no mainstream and pop radio wants to play that.....

Yes, but big musicals should have at least one breakout song - be it a ballad, or a pop type of song - to keep them relevant in the conversation. I just find it interesting and perhaps explanatory as to MPR's relative lack of success. Whether it's TGS, Moana, ASIB or...*choke* Frozen... you can understand their box office success by pointing to a song or two that resonate. This doesn't have that, apparently.