Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

12 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm 5 minutes drive from a 15 screen cineworld, and I'm pretty open to watching most things that are on. Plus I'm happy to pop in to London for the Prince Charles Cinema on a dime as well. 

Oh, and Another Round is fantastic! 

one of the best movie experiences for me in years. I absolutely loved it

7 hours ago, LPLC said:

Are you ok in the UK 😅 ? It's a whole country that must be sad and disappointed tonight, which may perhaps be a less strong box office for films this week.

I have a feeling that's not how human behaviour works...

8 hours ago, LPLC said:

Are you ok in the UK 😅 ? It's a whole country that must be sad and disappointed tonight, which may perhaps be a less strong box office for films this week.

Well the Scottish and Welsh were rooting for England to lose so box office should be fine there. We have bitter, insignificant neighbours when it comes to football lol

8 hours ago, LPLC said:

Absolutely fine. I’m in Scotland lol. Plus I had Italy in my work’s sweepstakes 😂

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Game day impact that day only, people move on next day. Winning may have some after affect.

UK will be upset today, but the UK is used to disappointment in international tournaments. 

Still dont see people caring to watch BW though 

19 minutes ago, Chicago said:

UK will be upset today, but the UK is used to disappointment in international tournaments. 

Still dont see people caring to watch BW though 

Yup. And good for them, you gain literally nothing from watching it. It’s like F9, stuff happens that means nothing and then it ends. Time wasted.

• Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

14 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Yup. And good for them, you gain literally nothing from watching it. It’s like F9, stuff happens that means nothing and then it ends. Time wasted.

It just seems like a gap filler to a franchise that's already peaked. A bit like hobbs and shaw

• Like 1

Looks like people did go and see it.

1. Black Widow £6.9m (£11,077 pta)

2. F9 £1.1m £13m -58.9%

3. Peter Rabbit 2 £510k £18.2m -38.6%

4. A Quiet Place 2 £254k £10.9m -40%

5. In The Heights £232k £3.8m -50%

6. Cruella £232k £8.9m -45.7%

7. Hitman’s Wife £129k -56.9% £3.5m

8. Conjuring 3 £128k £9.1m -43.8%

9. Freaky £106k £689k -68%
10. Another Round £97k £424k -25%

5th out of 10 for MCU first solo outings. 16th out of all 24.  

The Conjuring 3 and A Quiet Place 2 are both just ~£1.2m-£1.4m under their predecessors released without a pandemic. Impressive. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Quigley said:

So BW opened higher than F9 right?

In the 5-day vs 4-day opening, Black Widow grossed £6.9M vs. F9's £6M

In terms of actual FSS, Black Widow opened to £4.6M vs. £4.8M for F9 making it the second biggest 3-day opening since the beginning of the pandemic. (according to Screen Daily, who tend to be quite close with estimates Article found here)

Of course, the main reason is due to the final of the Euro's having an effect on Sunday business as well as opening day possible being hampered by the semi-final game as has been discussed already.

I think it is safe to assume that Black Widow would have opened higher than F9 if there wasn't a finals football match on Sunday, personally I could have seen £5M weekend with £7.5M for the 5-day had the two football matches not effected the total. But, given the easing of restrictions in 6 days on the 19th I think it may make it up in the long run.

For a look at what kind of effect football can have on the box office - Another Round fell 25% this weekend, but on Friday the film was up 3%, Saturday was up 23%, while Sunday was down 71% from last week. All films fell more than normal this weekend with Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway which has been seeing miniscule drops the past couple weeks dropped 38.6%, not a bad drop by any means but most likely one that has been worsened by the Final of the Euros

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Opening this weekend: 

The Forever Purge - 300+ locations

Escape Room 2 - 300+ locations

Space Jam 2 - 300+ locations

The Croods 2 - 300+ locations

Summer of Soul - 100+ locations

We are all still sad it didn't come home. Box office needs more time to recover from this tragic event

Edited by Chicago
  • Haha 1