Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

#AvatarTheWayOfWater crossed £50 million at the UK & Ireland box office on Wednesday, becoming the second title of 2022 to do so, after TOP GUN: MAVERICK.It is currently 41% ahead of the original AVATAR's gross at the same point of release (3 weeks).

So is ahead 41% from the first one after only £11m opening

£90m doable?

Total box office revenue across the U.K. and Irelandin 2022 was £978.5 million ($1.17 billion), an increase of 64% versus 2021’s total of £597 million ($719.8 million), according to Comscore Movies’ review of the year. 

Prior to the pandemic, annual box office in the territory had exceeded £1.3 billion in each of the five years up to and including 2019. The review anticipates a full recovery by 2024. 

A total of 911 new titles were released theatrically in 2022, up from 503 in 2021 and almost returning to the peak of 938 in 2019. However, there remains a marked reduction in blockbuster releases due to production delays, the review notes. 2019 saw 186 ‘saturation’ releases i.e. films opening in 250+ cinemas, which dropped in 2022 to 135. As the average revenue for each saturation release was £6.4 million in 2022 and £6.9 million in 2019, the review estimates that a return to 2019 levels of saturation releases could add £325–£350 million to annual box office totals.

Final 2022 admission figures are not yet available but are likely to exceed 125 million, up from 80 million in 2021, the review said. 

Of the five nations making up the U.K. and Ireland territory, the Republic of Ireland had the strongest recovery in 2022 with its box office 89% higher than 2021 after being subject to the strongest winter COVID-19 restrictions a year ago, including a 50% capacity cap and 8pm curfew. Northern Ireland box office rose by 73% year-on-year, with Scotland up 68%, Wales up 63% and England up 61%.

While Paramount’s Tom Cruise vehicle “Top Gun: Maverick” was the highest earner in 2022 with £83.6 million, Disney had the most titles in the top 10, led by “Avatar: The Way Of Water” in second position with a running total of £51.4 million. The top 10 films accounted for 43.8% of 2022’s total revenue.

Across 18 new releases and 40 pre-2022 holdovers, Disney accounted for £221.8 million (22.7% of the total market), just above Universal’s £219.3 million (22.4%). Warner Bros and Paramount were in third and fourth positions with 16% and 15.5% share respectively and Sony was fifth with 12%. In all, 136 different distributors released films this year. The top 10 distributors’ films accounted for 93.6%, compared to 2021’s 95.7%.

Top 10 films in U.K. and Ireland in 2022:

1. “Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount): £83.6 million
2. “Avatar: The Way Of Water” (Disney): £51.4 million – still on release
3. “Minions: The Rise Of Gru” (Universal): £46.9 million
4. “Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness” (Disney): £42 million
5. “The Batman” (Warner Bros): £40.7 million
6. “Thor: Love And Thunder” (Disney): £37.4 million
7. “Jurassic World: Dominion” (Universal): £35.1 million
8. “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Disney): £33.6 million – still on release 
9. “Sing 2” (Universal): £32.9 million
10. “Elvis” (Warner Bros): £27.6 million

Top 10 British/Irish films in U.K. and Ireland in 2022: 

1. “Roald Dahl’s Matilda The Musical” (Sony): £22.7 million – still on release 
2. “Belfast” (Universal): £15.6 million
3. “Downton Abbey: A New Era” (Universal): £15.1 million
4. “The Banshees Of Inisherin” (Disney): £9.1 million – still on release
5. “Prima Facie – NT Live” [Theater] (National Theatre): £5.4 million 
6. “Operation Mincemeat” (Warner Bros): £5.3 million
7. “The Duke” (Warner Bros): £5.2 million
8. “Mrs. Harris Goes To Paris” (Universal): £4.9 million
9. “See How They Run” (Disney): £4.8 million
10. “Living” (Lionsgate): £3.6 million – still on release

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strong recovery for the UK box office. 9 films above £30m is a fantastic result. This also matches the 9 films that hit the mark in 2019.

Wouldn’t be surprised if 2023 overall BO is down though due to a weaker slate of films, but can still see at least 6 or 7 topping £30m. Don’t see any mega hits though (£50m+).

Films with £30m potential:

Ant Man

Guardians of the Galaxy 

Little Mermaid 

Indiana Jones 

Mission impossible 

Elemental

Oppenheimer 

Barbie (really not sure about this)

The Marvels

Dune Part Two

Hunger Games 

Wish

Wonka

Aquaman 

Not all these films will reach £30m ofcourse, in-fact I’d say some like the Pixar films are unlikely to, and there are some big wild cards like Oppenheimer and Barbie.

13 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I feel like we shouldn't sleep on Wonka, if that's good I think it's making an all time top 10 run

Given the popularity of the Paddington films here, I guess there is scope for a £50m grosser but top 10 of all time (ie £80m+)? I HIGHLY doubt it.

8 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

He must’ve been living in a cave then, because there were adverts literally everywhere for Avatar prior to release. Billboards, bus ads, TV spots, etc… it’s the most promotion I’ve seen for a film over here in quite a while.

Actually this isn't hyperbola. The similar happened with my social circle too. Many didn't know the movie is coming out until WOM start spreading.  

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Given the popularity of the Paddington films here, I guess there is scope for a £50m grosser but top 10 of all time (ie £80m+)? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Feels like a combination of a proper big budget Roald Dahl movie, a hot star like Chalamet and King's quality as a director so far could carry this to me. Plus Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is THE Dahl novel to beat all Dahl novels. It's unlikely for sure, but if Mamma Mia can become our biggest of all time.... 

I would argue the chances of Barbie hitting $30m is significantly higher than the chances for Oppenheimer. Interstellar did $34m and I don't see Oppenheimer as as commercial as that. I may be wrong.

Little Women did $28m and Uk loves itself some camp.

Really don't see Hunger Games making it big here. Seems like a forgotten property.

PS: I don't gather Chalamet as particularly popular or even well know here, my students don't really bring him up when discussing hot (both figuratively and literally) young male stars. But I'd still say Wonka on its own as a brand name pulls it towards 50m.

Correction: OP was talking £ not $ - although I think that means Oppenheimers chances are even lower but not sure about Barbie either. Though I think the camp factor really will help it.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

5 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I would argue the chances of Barbie hitting $30m is significantly higher than the chances for Oppenheimer. Interstellar did $34m and I don't see Oppenheimer as as commercial as that. I may be wrong.

Little Women did $28m and Uk loves itself some camp.

Really don't see Hunger Games making it big here. Seems like a forgotten property.

PS: I don't gather Chalamet as particularly popular or even well know here, my students don't really bring him up when discussing hot (both figuratively and literally) young male stars. But I'd still say Wonka on its own as a brand name pulls it towards 50m.

Correction: OP was talking £ not $ - although I think that means Oppenheimers chances are even lower but not sure about Barbie either. Though I think the camp factor really will help it.

Oppenheimer has a pretty high cap to me, world War movies based on the British rarely fail to find an audience. Look at 1917, scratching £50m even with covid kneecapping it's run somewhat. Or something like Darkest Hour being huge with little to no action in it at all. Plus with Nolan himself being a big draw, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pretty comfortably pass £40m.

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Oppenheimer has a pretty high cap to me, world War movies based on the British rarely fail to find an audience. Look at 1917, scratching £50m even with covid kneecapping it's run somewhat. Or something like Darkest Hour being huge with little to no action in it at all. Plus with Nolan himself being a big draw, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't pretty comfortably pass £40m.

"World War movies based on the British" is probably my perspective there.

Dunkirk, 1917 and Darkest Hour are all fundamentally British stories and say so right in every element of the marketing and narrative.

Oppenheimer is a story about an American Physicist who worked in California. Or even if it isn't, that's what all the marketing has implied that it is. None of the real-world people presented in the cast list are British.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose

4 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

"World War movies based on the British" is probably my perspective there.

Dunkirk, 1917 and Darkest Hour are all fundamentally British stories and say so right in every element of the marketing and narrative.

Oppenheimer is a story about an American Physicist who worked in California. Or even if it isn't, that's what all the marketing has implied that it is. None of the real-world people presented in the cast list are British.

How the fuck did I forget that 🤣 history wasn't my strongest subject. 

11 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

How the fuck did I forget that 🤣 history wasn't my strongest subject. 

Don’t worry, I hadn’t heard of Oppenheimer til the trailer came out. Still no idea what it’s about, despite the second trailer lol. 

16 minutes ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Thursday was the first day below £1m for Avatar - £990k

back up to £1.3m yesterday.

Other films yesterday:

Whitney £413k

Otto £270k

Matilda £189k

Till £73k

Whitney week for the person asking

Monday £519k

Tuesday £345k

Wednesday £343k

Thursday £346k

Thank you for all of the numbers :) 

Whitney up to £5.2m then. Should be over £6m by the end of the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Other films yesterday:

Whitney £413k

Otto £270k

Matilda £189k

Till £73k

Monday £519k

Tuesday £345k

Wednesday £343k

Thursday £346k

A2 £75M is still possible? 

20 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Not as much as the first film of course. 

But it was advertised heavily. The cinemas have been blue since November lol. He’s maybe being hyperbolic, as I doubt he’d be with classmates 1 week after release (second weekend was Christmas, third new year- so no classes of any kind those two weeks really). 

I wouldn’t say it’s the most advertised film of the year though. Top Gun Maverick & Minions 2 were relentless for months on end. 

I’d actually say Top Gun Maverick received more of an advertising spend after it was released, than 90% of films to prior to release. 

I wouldn't ignore it away. I have the impression for a long time, that Hollywood fails to target younger people effectively every now and then. Social Media campaigns sometimes are just very weak and unfortunately, young people rely veryy much to be influenced by certain peopla nowadays. 

So if there's no hype in that bubble, I wouldn't be suprised that some kids really don't know that it's out already. 

6 hours ago, UKBoxOffice said:

Other films yesterday:

Whitney £413k

Otto £270k

Matilda £189k

Till £73k

Monday £519k

Tuesday £345k

Wednesday £343k