Heretic

UK Box Office Thread

DH2 opening 3-days made £23.5m, which was a Friday-Sunday. 

TFA's opening 3-days made £25.4m, which was a Thursday-Saturday.

I don't know what Ian meant because by that logic TFA set a new 3-day record. On the Fri-sun period, TFA would have done £23.2m if estimates hold, after burning off major demand on Thursday. I find it a bit silly if DH2 is considered to be 'keeping the record' just because it did its numbers on a true weekend WHEN IT'S EASIER TO MAKE MORE MONEY. 

So, DH2 has the highest opening WEEKEND based on 3 days.

Spectre has the highest opening weekend based on a technicality of counting every day up until a movie's first Fri-Sun as it's opening period (of which is had 7)

The Force Awakens has the highest opening 3-days. 

38 minutes ago, Rth said:

UK is looking like it could stay flat on sunday (Similar to Aus)maybe just a few % drop

AMAZING. That would push it nearer to £34m and easily over $50m if that holds. And could take DH2's insignificant Friday-Sunday record despite burning off almost £10m of demand on Thursday. :P

Edited by Dan9
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rth said:

UK is looking like it could stay flat on sunday (Similar to Aus)maybe just a few % drop

AMAZING. That would push it nearer to £34m and easily over $50m if that holds. And could take DH2's insignificant Friday-Sunday record despite burning off almost £10m of demand on Thursday. [emoji38] 

Butthurt much?[emoji14]

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

1 minute ago, James said:

Butthurt much?[emoji14]

Trimis de pe al meu SM-J100H folosind Tapatalk

Aha not at all! I love Harry Potter, but records are there to be broken so technicalities are irritating [emoji14] 

Not that record. And it's not really a technicality. When we talk about 3-day weekends we talk Fri-Sun. It's like that in all markets, not only in the UK. It's general BO knowledge. Disneys fault it didnt open on Fri.

7 minutes ago, James said:

Not that record. And it's not really a technicality. When we talk about 3-day weekends we talk Fri-Sun. It's like that in all markets, not only in the UK. It's general BO knowledge. Disneys fault it didnt open on Fri.

Well yeah, like I said above. DH2 does have highest opening weekend (If TFA actuals don't go up). TFA has highest 3-days. Spectre has highest opening in general due to opening on a Monday. I was just clarifying. I'm sure Disney will be happy with (probably) #1 grossing movie of all time in the country.

Edited by Dan9

51 minutes ago, Heretic said:

That is crazy! Sunday record must have been obliterated. Should e huge this week with holidays. £4m+ Monday? 

I imagine £4m every day apart from Christmas Eve which will be lower.

The second weekend drop will be interesting since due to most cinemas being closed on Christmas Day, it'll be heavy but I'm thinking £12-13m which would be very good.

Edited by Jonwo

Having posted the biggest ever day at the UK box office on Thursday, Star Wars: The Force Awakens recorded the second biggest opening of all time and the biggest-ever Fri-Sun tally.

Disney’s continuation of the space saga scored a tremendous $50.5m (£33.9m) debut from its 660 sites (a record wide release), including $14.46m (£9.7m) from Thursday [Dec 17]. That marks the biggest ever four-day opening ahead of Jurassic World’s $28.8m (£19.35m).

And having taken Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Part 2’s record of biggest day ever, The Force Awakenshas now overtaken that film’s biggest-ever Fri-Sun tally of $35.38m (£23.75m) with a stunning haul of $36.06m (£24.2m) over Fri-Sun. It’s all the more impressive given how big the film’s Thursday was.

Second to Spectre, but three of the biggest days ever

The Force Awakens did, however, fall short of the all-time record opening achieved by Spectre of $61.5m (£41.3m), but that did come from seven days. Officially,The Force Awakens will rank as the second biggest opening ever, but will likely still make more across its first seven days than Spectre.

The Force Awakens posted the biggest Saturday of all time with $12.96m (£8.7m) and the biggest Sunday of all time with $12.67m (£8.5m). They also rank as the third and fourth biggest days of all time according to figures from Rentrak, meaning it has three of the top five days ever at the UK box office.

The film also achieved the biggest IMAX weekend of all time with $5.03m (£3.38m) from its 42 sites, with every single day bigger than IMAX’s biggest day of all time which was Jurassic World’s $849,000 (£570,000) on its first Saturday.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/the-force-awakens-scores-record-breaking-505m-uk-debut/5098272.article?blocktitle=LATEST-UK-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40073

• Like 7