cannastop

D23 Expo 2019 Aug 23-25 | DONE

1 minute ago, Ocho said:

It went 2 1/2 hours two years ago....even though just scheduled 2 hours.

This stuff is usually just estimates. It's Disney saying we have two hours worth of content to show, not that it'll take exactly two hours.

47 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why do you think that?

I'm worried about the continuity of ththe current Spider-Man films with Tom Holland. Hopefully they continue the current Peter Parker story, because if they were to stop, the Tom Holland films would feel even more unfinished story-wise than the Andrew Garfield ones.

3 minutes ago, SLAM! said:

I'm worried about the continuity of ththe current Spider-Man films with Tom Holland. Hopefully they continue the current Peter Parker story, because if they were to stop, the Tom Holland films would feel even more unfinished story-wise than the Andrew Garfield ones.

I think the plan is to do it without the rest of the MCU.

47 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Why do you think that?

Anythong that increases Rothmans influence is bad. He is the $%&%$§ for any creative in my POV.

Like to order to change the colours ... of a complete set (FOX times) without even informing the director, changing the mood of a movie, but holding the director responsible, if the final product isn't ~ fluid anymore.

When a money man thinks he is creative (I do not give anything about that sentence him 'helping' to make another movie 'better'), and has a grudge against Feige (there is another one connected to the Sony - Marvel productions who was against the idea of the MCU whilst still with Marvel). Grudge in the meaning if someone thinks only macho behaviour gets results and another one gets better results without those. There was a reason e had to leave FOX.

• Like 2

Just now, cannastop said:

I think the plan is to do it without the rest of the MCU.

Okay, I think I feel better now... I'm really eager to see how the next Holland film approaches the story after the Cliffhanger Ending Which Shall Not Be Spoiled. Hopefully Sony is, too.

1 hour ago, cookie said:

This stuff is usually just estimates. It's Disney saying we have two hours worth of content to show, not that it'll take exactly two hours.

At a place like SDCC, there's usually a different panel scheduled to start when yours is done, so you can't run over.

But at D23, they can run over for as long as they like.

That said, all the big Marvel news was at SDCC this year, so it won't take up a super huge amount of time. The highlight from the MCU this weekend will probably be new Black Widow footage.

22 hours ago, cannastop said:

Sounds like it runs the risk of being a retread of Inside Out.

I really hope it’s not from the announcement on Twitter I’m getting vibes that it may be a space setting, with musical elements (Soul could be a play on words and mean the type of music as well as the inner workings of a person.) But I’m probably dead wrong. 

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

You think Holland has the say here? Disney asked for unreasonable terms that Sony doesn't need. And why does the MCU need Spider-Man?

he's the star so he has some leverage and he certainly wants to be part of MCU for that's where Spiderman renewed popularity comes from. Disney terms aren't that unreasonable given they pulled Spiderman out of doldrums and Sony will agree to them in some form or the other. MCU needs all their properties because they are Marvel. And listening to CB fans, Spidey teaming up with X Men is a big deal or something. 

Agreement will be reached. As AJG said originally, this is James Gun Firing Redux. Spiderman actors already unfollowed Sony to show they stand with Marvel. Pressure is on and Sony won't withstand it. 

Edited by Valonqar

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

You think Holland has the say here? Disney asked for unreasonable terms that Sony doesn't need. And why does the MCU need Spider-Man?

MCU has woven its story to have Spider-Man quite important to the universe. He is the one that Iron Man chose to lead the Avengers. 

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

MCU has woven its story to have Spider-Man quite important to the universe. He is the one that Iron Man chose to lead the Avengers. 

Thank goodness. None of new characters fits the bill for he has more charm and charisma than any of them. 

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I as an Avenger wouldn't let a YA lead me 😉

As IM wasn't the leader neither in a way, its a bit difficult to hand over a position that is not a position like in a company, but the voluntary respect of the other members to someone.

In my POV he gave him his part in the Avenger in a way, but not all, see Pepper and daughter too still exist.

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thank goodness. None of new characters fits the bill for he has more charm and charisma than any of them. 

Which is what Sony is banking on...

Thing is, though, both sides are coming from fairly strong negotiating positions. Sony had Venom, with half the budget of an MCU Spidey movie, deliver huge numbers and Spidery-Verse was adored by critics and audiences alike. Plus, the first two Raimi movies were fantastic. They CAN deliver the goods, both critically and commercially and they feel like they have the foundation finally laid out.

On the other hand, Marvel has positioned Spidey to be a central figure, sure, but, in the grand scheme of things, none of the events in FFH truly impact the MCU. Given there are no big team-up events schedules, Marvel can easily slot in the FF and X-Men after DS2, Thor 4, BP2... Any big team-up involving them would easily compensate for the lack of Spider-Man. It would kinda suck, sure, but they can yadda-yadda it away and with some inspired casting for Reed Richards, Storm (to cross-over with BP and make THAT character more interesting as well), Cyclops and Wolverine, people will easily embrace them as the new faces of the franchise.

Hell, with what's currently happening in the X-Men comics, I would literally give a standing ovation if Marvel announces a huge name for Moira and uses that device to not only introduce the X-Men but completely realign the MCU.

There are endless options and sure, Marvel might have it easier to go on without Spider-man than Sony without the MCU, but they've done it for years and with some care, they can continue to do it. And I think both sides know this already and after more posturing, an agreement will probably be reached...

• Like 1

@reddevil18 excellent analysis! I think that deal will be reached for Holland, Zendaya, etc have obviously been coached to support Marvel (unfollowing Sony) which in translation means Spidey isn't leaving MCU so it's safe to show support for that side. It's like James Gunn firing where GOTG actors were coached that it was safe to show solidarity while the rest of MCU actors were coached to stay mum. It's a big PR game going on so one just has to watch how the players act to gauge the outcome.