Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: Downton Abbey 31M, Ad Astra 19.2M Rambo 19M, It2 17.2M, Hustlers 17M

23 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Disney fumbling the ball how, exactly?

More like they inherited a really weak 2019 Fox slate.

Wrong choice of words on my part. More like being dealt a terrible hand and not being able to salvage it.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

Yeah, Rambo: Last Blood was great and amazing, but it was also dark, sad and brutal. So, the B CinemaScore probably is good for that kind of movie.  John Wick 1 also got a B, and Dredd also got a B. I would look at these movies to check Rambo's performance.

Ad Astra's CinemaScore is way too high, I think. XD

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I was expecting worse Cinemascore for Ad Astra considering the public reception on rotten tomatoes

RT Audience Score is incredibly flawed, idk why people keep holding it to a high standard. OUATIH had great legs, and that had a bad RT audience score, while Alita had an incredible RT audience score, and look at that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

is it recommended to watch Downton Abbey (the series) in order to "get" the movie?

You’ll have more emotional connection to the characters, appreciate certain details more, and maybe catch some Easter eggs, but it’s not required. The first 10 minutes of the movie are kind of recappy.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

is it recommended to watch Downton Abbey (the series) in order to "get" the movie?

One poster's opinion, but from the Downton Abbey thread:

On 9/8/2019 at 3:35 PM, SnokesLegs said:

Saw this earlier today, thought it was great. Never seen the show but it does a decent job of letting you know who people are so you never feel lost. I’d imagine the fans will love it.

Maggie Smith and her snarky comments are the highlight.

On 9/9/2019 at 5:11 AM, SnokesLegs said:

You’d be fine. I’ve never seen a single episode of the show but the movie made perfect sense to me. They do a good job of reintroducing the characters to audiences who may be unfamiliar with the show.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, it seems there are 2 different cuts of Rambo depending on where you live.

I watched the 100 minute version, but many people are reporting a 89 minute version. 

Spoiler

By the way, the movie started with a storm scene where Rambo saved a girl. However, some people are reporting that this scene isn't in the movie.

There are other differences like frames and a little more violence and a scene featuring the villains that was cut in the 89 minute version. 

• Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, it seems there are 2 different cuts of Rambo depending on where you live.

I watched the 100 minute version, but many people are reporting a 89 minute version. 

Hide contents

By the way, the movie started with a storm scene where Rambo saved a girl. However, some people are reporting that this scene isn't in the movie.

There are other differences like frames and a little more violence and a scene featuring the villains that was cut in the 89 minute version. 

What region are you in?

1 hour ago, TMP said:

RT Audience Score is incredibly flawed, idk why people keep holding it to a high standard. OUATIH had great legs, and that had a bad RT audience score, while Alita had an incredible RT audience score, and look at that.

OUATIH had an average RT audience score that correlates with the B cinemascore. should we stop trusting CS as a metric to gauge audience reception? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

OUATIH had an average RT audience score that correlates with the B cinemascore. should we stop trusting CS as a metric to gauge audience reception? 

CinemaScore's a flawed metric, but it's still more accurate than RT's audience scores. Captain Marvel also had an RT audience score in the 50's and an A cinemascore.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Agree. Older audiences that movies like Ad Astra and Hollywood are aimed at and enjoyed by simply don’t use RT. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

CinemaScore's a flawed metric, but it's still more accurate than RT's audience scores. Captain Marvel also had an RT audience score in the 50's and an A cinemascore.

wasn't that before they implemented the verified section? it was known that Captain Marvel score was attacked by trolls like with TLJ and it literally was the reason why RT started asking users to verify their tickets. from what i've seen recently movies with high audience scores usually end up with similar cinemascores.

few examples:

Angel Has Fallen 93%/A-
 IT Chapter II  79%/B+
Good Boys 86%/B+

Hustlers 67%/B-
Hobbs & Shaw 88%/A-
Lion King 88%/A
Dora 88%/A

Overcomer 98%/A+

The Art of Racing in the Rain 96%/A-

Spider-Man FFH 94%/A
Unplanned 91%/A+ 
The Goldfinch 74%/B
Where'd You Go, Bernadette 74%/B
The Kitchen 69%/B-

Ad Astra 50%/B- (still early so it might it go up when more votes are added)

now I don't think the good audiences score from RT or CS will always translate to good bo legs but both of them give an idea on how the movies were received (at least by a small sample of americans on OW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1