Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Downton Abbey 31M, Ad Astra 19.2M Rambo 19M, It2 17.2M, Hustlers 17M

Good to see Rambo getting some love.  I was so sure this movie would be bad, but I think I'm starting to like it. I liked the idea of Rambo coming back and doing something heroic. After all, we all knew that he would come back, and it only shows the greatness of the series. But it doesn't make sense. 
I'm not complaining.  I guess I'm glad a small percentage of people still enjoy this movie.  I'm actually glad there is even more discussion about the subject. And I'll see if I can even tell this from the other reviews.

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Younger audiences aren’t going to respond to a movie like Ad Astra in the same way. That’s always been true of at least the last generation. 

The issue is that older audiences are just not showing up in the same numbers as they used to. Further compounded by internet chatter from said youngsters whom it’s not aimed at purporting this narrative it’s no good. 

Older audiences might show up consistently in the coming weeks for it to end up with a solid final gross. Yet we just have to expect most won’t - staying at home like they have been for a long time. Sad as it is. My dad is the same. I’m always complaining to him that he’s part of the problem. 

We’ll get the occasional breakout - like OUIH - which will have us proclaim the problem isn’t what it is. Truth be told, that movie did great because that younger audience were interested in it. If you don’t get them in, then you’re not getting close to $100 million. 

So the even further cretinization of world cinema is down to the age profile of audiences? It could be. I will look into it.

3 hours ago, RealLyre said:

or maybe just MAYBE, Ad Astra isn't anywhere as good as Gravity or Interstellar. 

Have you seen it? What is your view? In my opinion, Ad Astra is easily better than Interstellar (which as epic and beautiful as it is at times, has some clunky moments, uneven pacing and cheesy dialogue) 

It's more or less as good as Gravity (both quite unconventional in their narrative approach) But Gravity being more economical and more action-focused definitely is an easier sell to the infantile general audience. 

Ad Astra is far worse then Interstellar, Gravity, Fury Road, 12 Monkeys, 2001, Apocalypse Now, Arrival, Oblivion, First Man etc etc. I’ve been struggling to think of a film it tries to imitate that it’s better then. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

35 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Ad Astra is far worse then Interstellar, Gravity, Fury Road, 12 Monkeys, 2001, Apocalypse Now, Arrival, Oblivion, First Man etc etc. I’ve been struggling to think of a film it tries to imitate that it’s better then. 

Better than more than half of those.

• Like 1

@a2k last weekend I mentioned more than once that IT1s 134% weekend 3 was abnormal given its full run. 

As was mentioned obviously we need more time to have a defined view of the run itself, but I still find it weird that the obvious F13 overage (again which IT1 had as well during its run) could be ignored. 

It was obvious heading into the weekend that the over the top Friday last week influenced predictions on the sites we have access too as 19 was popular and it isnt touching that without a miracle Saturday / Sunday. 

Not hating on the film or the boards view one way or another, just perplexed why all of a sudden actual data is thrown out. 

Anyone assuming that DA auto hits 30m this weekend and 100m is forgetting the extra 2.2m that is inflating Friday. Saturday has to increase a bit better than normal to make up for the extra sneaks being in its numbers. 

Also means the hold next weekend may look considerably worse overall than it is in reality. 

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

With all due respect. You are gravely mistaken. It's easily better than most of those. 

Interstellar: Flawed but epic.

Gravity: Simply awesome

Fury Road: Mediocre and astonishingly overrated

12 Monkeys: Very, very good and intelligent. 

2001: Maybe the best film of all time

Apocalypse Now: One of the best ever

Arrival: Interesting and well-crafted, compromised by post-modernist gibberish 

Oblivion: Okayish 

First Man: The only Ryan Gosling film I could not see through to the end

It's easily better than 6 of those. 

And since this is a BO thread, will it open over $20M? What can it do internationally? 

26 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

With all due respect. You are gravely mistaken. It's easily better than most of those. 

Interstellar: Flawed but epic.

Gravity: Simply awesome

Fury Road: Mediocre and astonishingly overrated

12 Monkeys: Very, very good and intelligent. 

2001: Maybe the best film of all time

Apocalypse Now: One of the best ever

Arrival: Interesting and well-crafted, compromised by post-modernist gibberish 

Oblivion: Okayish 

First Man: The only Ryan Gosling film I could not see through to the end

It's easily better than 6 of those. 

And since this is a BO thread, will it open over $20M? What can it do internationally? 

It will open to 18-19 at best if 7M fri holds