RealLyre

Madame Web | February 14, 2024 | Sony Spider-Man Movie I SJ Clarkson to direct

9 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I still don’t get what these Sony films are hoping to build to. The Sinister Six vs. Tom Holland? Is that really it? 

It seemed.like they wanted at least Venom vs Spider-Man but they've said Venom 3 is the last so...who knows?

12 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I still don’t get what these Sony films are hoping to build to. The Sinister Six vs. Tom Holland? Is that really it? 

I don't know but I'm 100% confident whatever Sony's doing is tied into the Disney-Marvel/MCU Spider-Man contract. My uninformed read of the situation is that they were using the Sinister Six/Sonyverse as leverage when Marvel tried to own half of future Spider-Man films. As long as Sony and the MCU are connected, there's real financial reasons for Disney to not want the general audience to believe that bad SUMC films are really MCU films. 

Given Morbius; reception and the bad signs from Kraven and Madame Webb, I suspect we're going to eventually get a Spider-Man and/versus Venom film (note that crossover in NWH) with the rest of the universe sort of quietly dying and/or rebooting out of Spider-Man 5 or something like that.  

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

I'm still really curious about this movie. I don't think it's going to be any good and I'm not sure people's under $10 mill predictions are necessarily inaccurate but, I don't know, it's fascinating. 

The movie actually has a pretty decent cast for what it is, they have Uncle Ben and Mary Parker, it's directly related to Spider-Man and yet if you've heard of it, it's probably due to a random meme about a terrible trailer. It was never going to do well but they could have tried to get some traction on the cast at least. I guess Sony doesn't care at this point. 

14th Feb seems like counter programming with added "hey remember 10 years ago when DJ was in a big movie that came out on Valentine's?" 😉 They don't seem to be trying to work with the recent traction Sydney Sweeney has either. Not that this will get the attention of the fans of ABY. 

Yeh this is a strange one. It’ll be interesting to watch it unfold. It had a great release date but if the interest isnt there, they’re not doing much to build any. 

Could the Bob Marley film beat it to #1?

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh this is a strange one. It’ll be interesting to watch it unfold. It had a great release date but if the interest isnt there, they’re not doing much to build any. 

Could the Bob Marley film beat it to #1?

Bob Marley: One Love hardly has any buzz either (reasonable to speculate it's not great given the release date choice). Feels destined to be much closer to Get On Up/Respect/I Wanna Dance with Somebody than to a Rocketman or Elvis.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dudalb said:

Problem is nobody but the hard core Spidey fans care about these  really obscure charecters in the Spidey Verse.You have to make a r eally good movie to have a chance when you do that.

Venom did well becuase he has GA name recognition but Madame Web? Forget about it.

I think Kraven the Hunter is more likely to get eyes on screens than this movie and it isn't just because Kraven is a better known comic villain.

This film really feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be based on the marketing we've gotten thus far. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

Edited by NoobSaibot

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Bob Marley: One Love hardly has any buzz either (reasonable to speculate it's not great given the release date choice). Feels destined to be much closer to Get On Up/Respect/I Wanna Dance with Somebody than to a Rocketman or Elvis.

Those could be enough to beat this. $9-14m seems a similar to range to what this could do. 

2 hours ago, NoobSaibot said:

This film really feels like it doesn't know what it wants to be based on the marketing we've gotten thus far. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

I don't know if I agree. If anything, I'd argue it has the opposite problem. I don't think the "CW" sneer is quite capturing it but people are, I think, correctly picking up that they've seen this type of movie released before. I can't define it but it really feels like the film knows it's part of a specific subgenre of trashy movie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't know but I'm 100% confident whatever Sony's doing is tied into the Disney-Marvel/MCU Spider-Man contract. My uninformed read of the situation is that they were using the Sinister Six/Sonyverse as leverage when Marvel tried to own half of future Spider-Man films.

They’re doing it because, when done right, Super-Hero’s are hot and Sony has the film rights to Super-Hero’s. That’s it.  There’s pressure on them to use their Marvel characters so they have to use them.

Sony’s problem is that they only have the rights to the Spider-Man franchise, which sadly (for them) is mostly filled with supporting characters that exist solely to benefit a Spider-Man story. Ends up with a promotional run for these films coming across as if they’re straining to justify the films existence.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 8:16 PM, SpiderByte said:

I'm also surprised at how like...little they reference the actual Spider-Man connections at all. Unless he's actually playing someone else, Adam Scott's character is literally Uncle Ben and he has been shown maybe once

It's apparently because he may not longer be Uncle Ben.

• Haha 1