Eric Loves Rey

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

Just now, Eternal Legion said:

One pretty interesting factor that we will learn before preview lock is preview start time. 3 vs 7 have some pretty different implications.

Also the sheer number of initial showtimes in a market/individual theater is something of a tell. Not a perfect tell, but there are historical ranges that can be used for broad range shortening.

• Like 1

Just now, Porthos said:

Also the sheer number of initial showtimes in a market/individual theater is something of a tell. Not a perfect tell, but there are historical ranges that can be used for broad range shortening.

Generally speaking — yes, absolutely. In this specific case I don’t think we’ll be able to distinguish a “megamonstrous+” showtime allocation from a “megamonstrous-“ showtime allocation because comps in the range are so sparse.

• Like 1

I am sorry, but how is a $150m OW a disappointment. There’s still a pandemic going on and even though it won’t deter the main demographic, we still don’t know if families are 100% back. There’s also a huge issue in staffing theaters as we know most theaters aren’t opening until midday at the earliest and 3 pm at the latest. I think this will likely open above $175m as I think this will be like how NTTD was big in the UK as I do believe the theaters will do their best to meet the demand, but for the US. I wouldn’t be disappointed in a $150m OW or even a OW just over $100m. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I am sorry, but how is a $150m OW a disappointment. There’s still a pandemic going on and even though it won’t deter the main demographic, we still don’t know if families are 100% back. There’s also a huge issue in staffing theaters as we know most theaters aren’t opening until midday at the earliest and 3 pm at the latest. I think this will likely open above $175m as I think this will be like how NTTD was big in the UK as I do believe the theaters will do their best to meet the demand, but for the US. I wouldn’t be disappointed in a $150m OW or even a OW just over $100m. 

150 would be ok I suppose (as long as legs are good) but just over 100 after Venom did 90??? That would be insanely disappointing.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Menor said:

150 would be ok I suppose (as long as legs are good) but just over 100 after Venom did 90??? That would be insanely disappointing.

You also got to factor in runtime as well, this is also a 2.5 hour movie. I do believe theaters will go into overdrive to meet the demand but it’s kind of hard to factor in a movie of that length with limited supply. Granted that didn’t stop Endgame lol.

• Like 2

I agree 100m OW especially given hype would be disappointing. 150 with really strong legs like 150/475 or something crazy is still awesome.

That second week will tell us alot and as long as the film is good I think we say excellent numbers after OW the entire next week

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

You also got to factor in runtime as well, this is also a 2.5 hour movie. I do believe theaters will go into overdrive to meet the demand but it’s kind of hard to factor in a movie of that length with limited supply. Granted that didn’t stop Endgame lol.

Runtime matters if movies are of the same level, here the hype is way bigger than Venom. 

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Runtime matters if movies are of the same level, here the hype is way bigger than Venom. 

Of course, this is probably the most hyped blockbuster since Endgame. I’m just saying a scenario of theaters not being able to meet the demands of audiences due to limited staffing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Of course, this is probably the most hyped blockbuster since Endgame. I’m just saying a scenario of theaters not being able to meet the demands of audiences due to limited staffing.

I think the occupancy can mostly make up for lower showtimes when a movie has this much anticipation. I don't think Eternals (for an example of a movie with a similar length) had particularly huge occupancy or sellouts. So even if NWH got a similar show count to Eternals (and I'm sure it will get way more) it could still go way over 100 imo. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

so... wtf

Most likely would be some opportunity for LA people to get premiere tickets?

Well, supposedly "everyone" will get something out of it, but what does that even mean? I bet it's something fairly minor. If it was a trailer then nobody would talk about it like this. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1