Eric the Ape

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

He can't be a high-schooler forever (they all look their 20s and 30s - Ned - so that's that) and if college is the next phase I hope no MJ or Gwen (enough is enough) but Black Cat. 

Rumors have fired about corpses in NWH, and that's one way to effectively clear the deck for the next series of movies. 

Deal with Venom, Kraven, etc. Hell use this opportunity to get back to work on that aborted Black Cat spin-off. And while people moan about wider MCU universe cross-overs, haha they're going to keep doing that but hey with street heroes and especially younger heroes running around now....just saying. 

But don't worry, I'm sure such folks will nerd out when they throw in a fan service reference to that OS time Tom's Spidey had to deliver pizza or something. 

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Yeah, I mean, just because she has Cat in the name and is one of the hero's love interests, it doesn't mean she's automatically Bargain Bin Catwoman. Marvel elevated shitton of D and lower listers into A list status surpassing the boxoffice of old A listers. Just sayin. 

For whatever reason, that planned Silver & Black spin-off died which was a shame because a buddy girl spandex version of Midnight Run is something that potentially could work. (Then again after Birds of Prey's box office, that might've killed their enthusiasm for such a pitch.)

Honestly at this point, don't be shocked if they do bring Gwen into the MCU, but it'll be Spider-Gwen. 

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

For whatever reason, that planned Silver & Black spin-off died which was a shame because a buddy girl spandex version of Midnight Run is something that potentially could work. (Then again after Birds of Prey's box office, that might've killed their enthusiasm for such a pitch.)

Honestly at this point, don't be shocked if they do bring Gwen into the MCU, but it'll be Spider-Gwen. 

Spider-Gwen would be fine. It's regular girlfriend who needs saving and basically just contributes to filler (MJ in all versions) that grates on me. Skip button material. But Spider Gwen was awesome in Into the Spiderverse so live action version would rock.

Just now, Valonqar said:

Spider-Gwen would be fine. It's regular girlfriend who needs saving and basically just contributes to filler (MJ in all versions) that grates on me. Skip button material. But Spider Gwen was awesome in Into the Spiderverse so live action version would rock.

I would think SG would happen because among other things (besides Sony going "oh we liked Spiderverse, lets do that again in live-action!") the Garfield movies already did the traditional Gwen stuff.

Here's a thought: What if during all that multiversal turmoil in Phase 4, she's a refugee from one of those dimensions* and she's stuck in MCU world? You can (if they want) do the girlfriend thing, but (1) she doesn't need help getting saved and (2) the weirdness you could play into since in her reality (at least from comics) Peter was a friend of hers that tragically died, with obvious shades of sorts of reference to how Gwen's death affected 616 Parker. Heck even play into the 

*=I liked the idea that in her reality, Matt Murdock was a baddie and he was Kingpin's lawyer.

5 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I think they should not rush the next Spidey let Holland go do some other stuff and come back in 3 years time ready for another trilogy.

Considering his terrible career choices (unlike Zendaya who smartly picked Euphoria and Dune and basically doesn't depend on Spiderman/MCU for visibility and work), it's more likely he'll place another drunken crying call for more movies like he did to Iger when there was a dispute about SM between Sony and Marvel. 

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not sure what a new Spider-Man trilogy is supposed to entail at this point. You already have him fighting alternate versions of some of his biggest villains in this movie. What’s there left to do, other than having him fight Tom Hardy’s Venom?

Mentoring another, younger web-slinger!

People love :Venom: but especially Hardy's one so that's the selling point. There's a feeling that Raimi's SM 3 wasted the character so this should be how it's done. As others already said, Holland SM movies did well with villains so far. 

Edited by Valonqar

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not sure what a new Spider-Man trilogy is supposed to entail at this point. You already have him fighting alternate versions of some of his biggest villains in this movie. What’s there left to do, other than having him fight Tom Hardy’s Venom?

There are still villains not used in the films yet (he's got a Rogues Gallery that's a good #2 behind Batman) and lets remember who else allegedly is joining the MCU that we've already seen before that comes handy for your street vigilantes to contend with. 

A shame Marvel seems to want to ignore Punisher because of his stupid psychotic fans, since I always enjoyed his relationship as the ultra-grit non-powered dude with the super powered wise cracking Spidey (at one point I remember as a kid one of those Punisher Annuals published his Enemies list and Spidey was on it simply because he was annoying and got in his way lol.) 

Wasn't it rumored at one point Marvel wanted Deadpool for Spidey 3 and Reynolds said eat me? 

I think ultimately if the arc of MCU Spidey is to grow up, he has to continue emerging from outside of Stark's shadow and perhaps even linked to the Avengers (save for the inevitable Secret Wars movie) since his one link to them is a corpse now. Hell what if to play into Spider-Man's traditional outsider-among-heroes persona in the comics, he hangs out with the X-Men when they inevitably pop up? I mean Peter in the comics did teach at Xavier's school at one point and some Mutants assumed he was like them. 

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

People love :Venom: but especially Hardy's one so that's the selling point. There's a feeling that Raimi's SM 3 wasted the character so this should be how it's done. As others already said, Holland SM movies did well with villains so far. 

As much as Marvelites resent the Venom franchise's existence, Hardy and how he interprets that character would fit the MCU sandbox naturally. I can imagine a buddy movie where he and Tom gotta work together, but Venom wants to eat him and Hardy has to stop that. 

A shame Sony already fired the Carnage bullet since Carnage in his original comics storyline was a great (terrifying) adversary for both to team up against. But Sony gotta Sony. 

7 minutes ago, RRA said:

As much as Marvelites resent the Venom franchise's existence, Hardy and how he interprets that character would fit the MCU sandbox naturally. I can imagine a buddy movie where he and Tom gotta work together, but Venom wants to eat him and Hardy has to stop that. 

A shame Sony already fired the Carnage bullet since Carnage in his original comics storyline was a great (terrifying) adversary for both to team up against. But Sony gotta Sony. 

So much this! That's why I'm excited about it cause Hardy's take is such an MCU fit. I could see Feige going "damn, how can we get this guy in our universe?" and now it's happening.

Also, good point about Carnage. Like, why, Sony why? 

• Like 1