Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: No Way Home | December 17, 2021 | The More Fun Stuff Version (yes, that's what it's called) comes to theaters September 2nd!

2 hours ago, JWR said:

Zendaya found success after her Disney Channel years. Andrew Garfield has done pretty well for himself too. 

Yes, I always emphasize that, unlike Holland, Zendaya took career risks which is very good. Euphoria is a stark departure from wholesome Disney Girl roles (Disney Channel years, Spiderman). I assume she turned down the Little Mermaid for that reason for it would bring nothing new to her career-wise. She produced Malcolm&Marie which, while it didn't deliver, is still a producer credit on her resume at a very young age. And it was an adult role, so not another teenager. She took a small role in Dune Part 1 at the risk that Part 2, which would expand her role, would never be made. Now that's gonna pay off. All in all, very strong career management on her part. 

Garfield has done great but this year in particular is very big for him. Raves for performances in Eyes of Tammy Faye and Tik Tak Boom and then the biggest movie of the pandemic. 

3 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Even 99% fans in China knows three spider boys stuff, no way western world don't aware of that.

Yep. Realistically speaking, Tobey talk started as soon as JK Simmonds appeared in FFH. Everyone was saying it was going to be multiverse and Tobey would return. Then Jamie Foxx return as Elector confirmed that Andy would be in it too. I don't remember if it was Molina or Foxx casting that was first announced but both confirmed their respective Spideys. So it's really a buzz 2 years in the making, not something that people discovered overnight. J Jonah Jamison started the widespread conversation and then returning cast members left no doubt about what was going on. You didn't have to be a nerd to pick up on that. 

• Like 2

Bloody hell, whichever dummy was in charge of putting up the sessions at midnight this morning failed, they put them all up except the goddamn theatre that has IMAX. I stayed up until 1:20am hoping they'd realise their mistake but they didn't. Just got up about 30 mins ago for work (after having checked at 5am and 7am) and they're fucking up now finally.

Maybe it's a blessing, there were a bunch of people complaining that IMAX wasn't up on insta and FB so it might've been more work if they hadn't been incompetent. Managed to pick up Thursday night and Friday night tickets without much fuss, now I can relax. Also, it felt so good buying tickets after 3.5 months of lockdown. :cloud9:

2 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

ok Tobey, ok Andrew, ok Holland but i cant wait to see Dafoe

First real "trade" confirmation I've seen here of acknowledging Dafoe officially in print at the very end of the piece -- although the trailer seems to tell us, yes!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/spider-man-movies-marvel-sony-no-way-home-1235054015/

Also, on Pascal's typically brash "producer" claims:

Sony insiders note though the studio has a strong relationship with Holland and Feige and hopes to continue their collaboration, there are no official plans for a trilogy at this phase.

But of course they're just playing down expectations until they see that this one becomes a massive success...

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

With the the Corona situation in Europe and a not so sure China release, i predict UNDER 1B WW. It will do great in the US

Aha,by the way it seems like the chinese release is jan 14 but ok not that it will need it.......

Edited by john2000

6 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I guess I’ll post my prediction for the domestic box office. I won’t even try to predict the worldwide gross.

OW: $230 million

Domestic Total: $680 million

Basically the same as mine right now. Worldwide is a difficult prediction but I can’t see it making under $500 million overseas even with some countries facing restrictions and possibly missing China.

Bit late to the discussion, @Cmasterclay, but here's something to consider.

By and large the General Audience ain't dummies.  They see Alfred Molina's Doc Ock say "you're not Peter Parker" in a trailer and hear that "multiverse" and "other universes" are a major part of the plot and it isn't hard to put two and two together even without hearing rumors/reports about T&A.

To put it another way, I think a very large chunk of the GA has either heard the reports of T(&A) or expects to get some T&A action in the film, hence the hype.

And that's without factoring in the reach of "geek culture" through direct or indirect means.

Sure someone's random friend/family member may have no to little idea.  Or they may suspect, but not know.  But I tend to think marketing hasn't exactly been subtle on the probability of it, leading to the explosion in hype.

==

Would the hype be bigger if Sony was flashing its T&A all over the screens in trailers and TV spots?  MAYBE!  But is plenty big enough right now.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Basically the same as mine right now. Worldwide is a difficult prediction but I can’t see it making under $500 million overseas even with some countries facing restrictions and possibly missing China.

Based on what i am seeing in the os markets presales that seems like an easy goal  for os-china...

17 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Based on what i am seeing in the os markets presales that seems like an easy goal  for os-china...

it’s not so much the goal as it is a crashing minimum should there be a lot more restrictions in a few months and if the movie has bad word of mouth. Right now my goal number for OS minus China is about $800 million. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Bit late to the discussion, @Cmasterclay, but here's something to consider.

By and large the General Audience ain't dummies.  They see Alfred Molina's Doc Ock say "you're not Peter Parker" in a trailer and hear that "multiverse" and "other universes" are a major part of the plot and it isn't hard to put two and two together even without hearing rumors/reports about T&A.

To put it another way, I think a very large chunk of the GA has either heard the reports of T(&A) or expects to get some T&A action in the film, hence the hype.

And that's without factoring in the reach of "geek culture" through direct or indirect means.

Sure someone's random friend/family member may have no to little idea.  Or they may suspect, but not know.  But I tend to think marketing hasn't exactly been subtle on the probability of it, leading to the explosion in hype.

==

Would the hype be bigger if Sony was flashing its T&A all over the screens in trailers and TV spots?  MAYBE!  But is plenty big enough right now.

Stop getting me hot with your dirty talk, @Porthos 🤣

• Like 1

Yeah I definitely take some what I said back about the two trailers (as trailers I still personally meh on them) but definitely it shows the GA is all in on the multiverse aspect and the promise of T&A. In hindsight it's probably better for WOM they are not in the trailer so there are no expectations about what their roles are besides being in the movie. You put them in the trailer confirming them then the question becomes how big their roles are which the movie may disappoint in.