Blankments

PSA: Box Office Mojo Redesign ... Numbers Saves The Day With Theater Counts

• Community Manager

It's too late to save BOM. But the BOT community will prevail one way or another. They shut down our forums, we create our own forums (and then we went to a magazine's website then they kicked us but now we pay our own way). They killed the derby, we created our derby. The contributions our forum members make is impressive. Don't doubt the power and will of the box office theory community.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, FTF said:

Holy shit is the new site horrible!  This is fucking depressing.  

We'll always have this though, they can't take away the past at least!

https://web.archive.org/web/20191023033914/https://www.boxofficemojo.com/

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

literally SAME, at least three times today I subconsciously went to BOM

"what did Training Day gross adjusted again?"

"what did Enemy of the State gross adjusted?"

"How many theatres is Addams Family in?"

Nothing mandatory to get through the day or anything, but it's scary how much I took the site for granted, and how much of an adjustment this is going to be. 

THIS, so much. Everytime I try to absently look up something historical, it's like a fresh kick in the teeth when the page starts loading.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

But then again, I’ve probably visited BOM like 3-4 times since April. 

So glad to see you're taking a stand alongside Marty and all these other old guys about how tentpoles are ruining theaters. When's the Netflix denouncement coming?

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, filmlover said:

So glad to see you're taking a stand alongside Marty and all these other old guys about how tentpoles are ruining theaters. When's the Netflix denouncement coming?

They canceled No Good Nick. Those bastards.

• Like 1

They've completely fucked a good thing that worked and worked easy and well.

I just wanted to see Arnold Schwarzenegger's box office history and also to see the inflation list for them and that's all gone. It just wants me to go to IMDB Pro.

Things like checking out the franchise's for Marvel or James Bond and seeing how they rank and also with inflation and worldwide...gone.

They just couldn't leave something alone when it was fine. 

• Like 2

Man, what's even going to happen to the future of Charting With Dan. I enjoy that show, but now that everything from BOM's old site is gone and has been placed into a paywall, it makes me wonder how it'll continue as the weeks go by.

• Like 1

@Plain Old Tele I wasn't around there for it, but I found info regarding it:

In 2014, Box Office Mojo unexpectedly disappeared from the Internet, with the site’s URL redirecting to IMDb’s box office page. After a massive backlash, the site was restored the next day without explanation from Amazon or IMDb.

....Could this actually happen again this year?

Just now, Xftg123 said:

@Plain Old Tele I wasn't around there for it, but I found info regarding it:

....Could this actually happen again this year?

Doubtful. The backend data is surely still there.  But money and resources were obviously poured into the redesign and unlike flipping a switch back on, companies are loath to admit they made a mistake.  Sunk Cost fallacy and all that.

At most, they might listen to some of the complaints and bring back functionality, but I doubt it.

I won't say it's impossible.  But it'd require them to flush the money they spent on the redesign down the drain AND spend money/time/resources on a different redesign as it's pretty obvious they want to upgrade the way it looks/underlying security.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Doubtful. The backend data is surely still there.  But money and resources were obviously poured into the redesign and unlike flipping a switch back on, companies are loath to admit they made a mistake.  Sunk Cost fallacy and all that.

At most, they might listen to some of the complaints and bring back functionality, but I doubt it.

I won't say it's impossible.  But it'd require them to flush the money they spent on the redesign down the drain AND spend money/time/resources on a different redesign as it's pretty obvious they want to upgrade the way it looks/underlying security.

I’ll say it’s impossible. 🧐

They’re a data aggregator that sells data (among other things). The writing was on the wall since ‘08 (and especially since 2011). We just didn’t wanna see it.