TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

34 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Heard this is the best ant man movie till date and one of the best MCU films. The person said he feels it is top 5. 

Heard this about Eternals aswell... Is he within Marvel? Cause their judgment have been off lately. The reports of Thor 4 being loved in test screenings and Eternals being a masterpiece bs. 

16 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Didn't an insider say Quantumania is one of the best scripts they've read? 

Charles Murphy said that but I wouldn´t call him reliable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Heard this about Eternals aswell... Is he within Marvel? Cause their judgment have been off lately. The reports of Thor 4 being loved in test screenings and Eternals being a masterpiece bs. 

Charles Murphy said that but I wouldn´t call him reliable. 

Not within marvel.

28 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

One of the best script they’ve read for a Marvel movie, or one of the best scripts they’ve read in general? 

This claim was referring to the script supposedly being the singular best one in the MCU, but given that it came from a "scooper" with no way to verify I have given it very little credence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

My hype has officially peaked. I think this is the most angst I’ve felt for a MCU film since Endgame. AMQ will lay the foundation of the culmination of the Multiverse Saga (KD/SW) whether it’s great, mid, or trash. 

Right?! I'm feeling this one big time.

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Social Embargo lift is 9pm PST/Midnight EST, or a little under 9 hours from now.

This is something of a point I wanted to make (and confirm for that matter).

When the social media embargo date/time was originally announced, the premiere at the time was scheduled for the 13th.  Now with the premiere being moved up to today, the very very first reactions we get will be from folks who weren't/aren't at the world premiere.

In fact I wanted to double check to see if the social media embargo lift got pushed back because of the premiere, but scanning entertainment outlets, doesn't look like it.

Now I don't know exactly how many folks, if any, have actually seen AM3 before the premiere.  But if there isn't many reactions at exactly 9pm PT/Midnight ET (a little more than five hours from now), that'll be why.

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Can't wait to see those honest "Best Marvel movie ever" reactions.

And how often does that actually happen?  Especially post Engame?  Maybe once or twice per movie?  If that?

Not exactly a common occurrence, despite what you're trying to claim.

• Like 9

Like, I get the jaded cynicism. But one can actually get a pretty good sense of where reviews will land even from the over-enthusiastic tenor of the post-premiere rush.  

Basically it's just lazy criticism, IMO.  And, frankly, it's getting boring hearing it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. there is a high profile world premiere.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 12

42 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And how often does that actually happen?  Especially post Engame?  Maybe once or twice per movie?  If that?

Not exactly a common occurrence, despite what you're trying to claim.

Maybe not very common as word to word quote, but most MCU flicks get the same over-enthusiastic reactions which don't mean anything in the end.

18 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Maybe not very common as word to word quote, but most MCU flicks get the same over-enthusiastic reactions which don't mean anything in the end.

So not really any different from many other premieres, then. We all know that the very environment of a world premiere lends itself to hype. It's just the buzz and the energy of the crowd and the very nature of the event.  Even see it at places like Cannes or other film festivals where the initial reaction from hardened critics in attendance doesn't always actually match critical reception from those who see it later (never mind GA reception).

So just adjust for hype and move on.  Or if reactions post-premiere irritate you that much, just ignore them and read the social reactions made the following day.

But, like, I hear a variation of this complaint almost every time before an anticipated world premiere, no matter what the property is.  It's not just Marvel films which get this treatment.  And, like, WE KNOW.  All of us here know not to read into the hype but interpret what is said, or even isn't said.  And in fact, pay extra attention to the cautionary notes made.

Like, "fun" became a Scarlet Letter Phrase for a while here for a reason as whenever we saw the word "fun" said over and over again after a premiere, that often (though naturally not always) led to a lesser RT score.  BOT did collectively get it out of its system, thankfully, but the overall Interpretation of What Is Actually Being Said is alive and well.  Call it reading between the lines.  

So, okay.  Don't believe the hype, as Public Enemy once said.  Fine.  But, again, all of us know this.  So what's the point in harping about the fact that reactions post-world premiere don't match actual reception?  Just the nature of the beast.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

My hype has officially peaked. I think this is the most angst I’ve felt for a MCU film since Endgame. AMQ will lay the foundation of the culmination of the Multiverse Saga (KD/SW) whether it’s great, mid, or trash. 

did someone forget to turn on the lights? (obligatory avatar 2 comment after that)

Edited by interiorgatordecorator