TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

I stopped going into the movies (or like watching movies honestly) sometime in November.

This will be an appointment viewing.

i don’t really care about Joker, nor am I interested in the rest of it, but those musical sequences look amazing. The lighting is kind of perfect.  There is a good old school Freed feel without it feeling forced. Perfect last shot of the trailer.

Although I don’t understand why she’s not a doctor. Hate that for her. That’s disappointing. But I’m ready for a musical. 

• Like 4

Blown away at how incredible this looks, the cinematography and production design are actually insane

I think the cultural zeitgeist is absolutely back here, gonna absolutely be the most talked about movie of the year bar none

Basically everyone is gonna go see it, it’s like if you synthesized the audiences for Barbie and Oppenheimer and CBMs and musicals and everything else in between 

Highest grossing live-action film of the year on lock 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Relevation said:

Blown away at how incredible this looks, the cinematography and production design are actually insane

I think the cultural zeitgeist is absolutely back here, gonna absolutely be the most talked about movie of the year bar none

Basically everyone is gonna go see it, it’s like if you synthesized the audiences for Barbie and Oppenheimer and CBMs and musicals and everything else in between 

Highest grossing live-action film of the year on lock 

So then it's probably gonna happen

Let's just say, you have an amazing track record predicting DC movies

32 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Are there two versions of this trailer? The one I saw was a complete mess. It looks like a movie suffering from an identity crisis. 

You might have accidentally watched the trailer for The People's Joker. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Cap said:

i don’t really care about Joker, nor am I interested in the rest of it, but those musical sequences look amazing. The lighting is kind of perfect.  There is a good old school Freed feel without it feeling forced. Perfect last shot of the trailer.

The more I think about it, the more I realize they not only aren't hiding the musical aspect, they're leaning heavily into it.

The opening shots of the color coded umbrellas are highly reminiscent of a choreographed musical number. 

The opening dialogue talks about The Power (and Importance) of Music.

The opening notes lead up to an iconic song of the 20th century.

Hell, the entire middle of the trailer is straight out of a song and dance number, right down to the spotlighted buildup of a main character. 

The only thing the film didn't do is have one of the characters turn to camera and say "THIS *IS* SPARTA A MUSICAL!!!"

Now unlike you, I don't know enough about the History of Musicals to be able to tell just exactly what they were channeling here.  But it was clear as day to me what type of film this is gonna be.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I don't exactly think they can be accused of "hiding" the musical aspect here.

RIP (that part) of The Discourse.

From some of the shots I saw, I am more  convinced then ever that some of the musical numbers will be homages to famous musical numbers from the classic musicals.

And Burt Bachharch's "What the World Needs Now" was one of the last songs I could imagine the Joker singing. Which is no doubt why Phillips is using it.

My wife noticied something: Gaga was actually leading in the waltz sequence though they used the camera to mimimize it. Makes sense. Gaga is probably a much more experienced dancer then Phoenix. 

I do share the concern that Harley is not a psychologist who was seduced to the dark side by the Joker. That is an essential part of the character.

But I am really looking forward to this one.

I also put more credence in the :"Wandavision" theory.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

La La Land, Singing in the Rain?  Looks like a couple big song and dance set pieces

I also spotted one sequence that screams 'Homage of the final Ballet in An American In Paris",

• Like 1

looks ok, I guess, but I really wanted to see a musical sequence in action

the callback to the stair dance (they both do the exact same kick dance move) is embarrassing and has me worried that they might be taking itself too seriously; all the nominations might have gone to Philips's  head

without the absurdity and the humor that is derived from it, joker is a bang average scorcese-wannabe crazy person drama; if they are really going to start treating the staircase scene as this super strong dramatic moment worth referencing as anything more than a fun/funny moment, then I think they've gotten the wrong message from joker's success

• Knock It Off 1

45 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The more I think about it, the more I realize they not only aren't hiding the musical aspect, they're leaning heavily into it.

The opening shots of the color coded umbrellas are highly reminiscent of a choreographed musical number. 

The opening dialogue talks about The Power (and Importance) of Music.

The opening notes lead up to an iconic song of the 20th century.

Hell, the entire middle of the trailer is straight out of a song and dance number, right down to the spotlighted buildup of a main character. 

The only thing the film didn't do is have one of the characters turn to camera and say "THIS *IS* SPARTA A MUSICAL!!!"

Now unlike you, I don't know enough about the History of Musicals to be able to tell just exactly what they were channeling here.  But it was clear as day to me what type of film this is gonna be.

That Todd Phillips really, really, loves musicals is pretty clear.

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

La La Land, Singing in the Rain?  Looks like a couple big song and dance set pieces

Somebody in another thread already coined the term “Ha Ha Land” and it fits lmao

from reddit.

====

I'm only upset that *I* didn't think of this. :kitschjob:

edit:

*checks*

Yep. It's A Thing, alright.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I stopped going into the movies (or like watching movies honestly) sometime in November.

This will be an appointment viewing.

Although I don’t understand why she’s not a doctor. Hate that for her. That’s disappointing. But I’m ready for a musical. 

Just realized in addition to plagiarizing some other classic, I can’t shake the feeling that Phillips will romanticize the Joker x Harley relationship, unironically.

Oh well, the musical sequences look very great.

• Knock It Off 1