TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is not getting the Madame Web CinemaScore, like come on

The lowest it's going is B-

CS is hardly only about the quality of the movie, it can be about expectations being meeted or frustrated. 

The big fans of the first is the likely crowd to participate on that CS. If they feel the movie is calling them dumb, the score will be very low. 

Unless the ending i read is a lie, that is a straight up trollish on top of a whole movie that basically try to respond to the media and audience reception over the events of the previous movie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

CS is hardly only about the quality of the movie, it can be about expectations being meeted or frustrated. 

The big fans of the first is the likely crowd to participate on that CS. If they feel the movie is calling them dumb, the score will be very low. 

Unless the ending i read is a lie, that is a straight up trollish on top of a whole movie that basically try to respond to the media and audience reception over the events of the previous movie.

If it somehow does get a C+ CinemaScore, then I will come back and congratulate you

Also, speaking of C+ CinemaScore, Morbius did $5.7M previews, $39.0M OW, and $73.9M DOM. This is looking similar-ish, maybe like +10-15%

Edited by HummingLemon496

From a personal point the belly flop that is happening here does not bother me since I was not crazy about the first movie but from a BO follower/nerd kind of a bummer.  It's kind of crazy that Zaslav basically gave Phillips 200 million to deliver a big middle finger to the fans of the first movie. Someone who already had a reputation doing that with the Hangover sequels.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That is the thing about a lot of genre fans; THey say they want a fresh, new daring take on the genre, but if somebody gives them one they often hate it.

Granted, this one seems to have been badly executed but still the principals holds,

Yes, honestly i kind of respect the swing for the fences here. I´m more excited to watch it now than i was a month ago when i expected to be highly succesful but play it safe lol.

It´s more interesting to me if it´s more of a response than a sequel, but commercially is just a bad idea. Philips took a lot of money and burned in the face of the executives, and he isn´t talented enough imo to pull it off completely quality-wise. 

It´ll likely go down as a respectable idea with shaky execution that ended up managing to alienate pretty much everyone.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yes, honestly i kind of respect the swing for the fences here. I´m more excited to watch it now than i was a month ago when i expected to be highly succesful but play it safe lol.

It´s more interesting to me if it´s more of a response than a sequel, but commercially is just a bad idea. Philips took a lot of money and burned in the face of the executives, and he isn´t talented enough imo to pull it off completely quality-wise. 

It´ll likely go down as a respectable idea with shaky execution that ended up managing to alienate pretty much everyone.

with what just happened with Megalopolis,not a good month for directors swinging for the fences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

From a personal point the belly flop that is happening here does not bother me since I was not crazy about the first movie but from a BO follower/nerd kind of a bummer.  It's kind of crazy that Zaslav basically gave Phillips 200 million to deliver a big middle finger to the fans of the first movie. Someone who already had a reputation doing that with the Hangover sequels.

Now that you mentioned, Hangover 3 truly is a middle finger to fans isn´t it lol 

But it was easier to do that in a middle budget movie, with a blockbuster this can cost his career. 

Gaga will obviously be fine, Phoenix despite all the bad press and being exposed as an asshole on many sets should still be fine. The one person that i genuinely think can be destroyed if this bombs, it´s Todd.

17 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Giving a huge budget for this film never made sense to begin with given that a big appeal of movie one was that it was a mid budget and smaller take on a genre that’s known for its large scale. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This is not getting the Madame Web CinemaScore, like come on

The lowest it's going is B-

I mean...kr audience reception is on madame web level

I don't know how US reception will be, especially since they don't always correlate (korea hated deadpool3 for instance), but it wouldn't shock me if it was down there

Edited by JustLurking

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

I don't know how US reception will be, especially since they don't always correlate (korea hated deadpool3 for instance), but it wouldn't shock me if it was down there

You're one of the most neutral users on this forum so. . .damn

Jesus Fucking Christ. . .

really didnt like the trailers and was initially planning to skip this, and even though I'm worried about the court scenes, some of the leaked plot details sound pretty intriguing 

20 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I just checked the cgv site...good lord. And it'll go lower since this is just the first wave of reactions. It's not always a 1:1 correlation of course we just had two big differences with Deadpool and Beetlejuice. But that's one market where it's definitely DOA.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

If true, then so much for the whole "Critics hated it but the people loved it" routine, which I think it what a number fo the films stans were hoping for.

Gaga stans and DC stans are on copium, there's a lot of intersection between them it seems. WB could used this film for blind dates!

Jokes aside, even 2 weeks ago people were bullish the reviews won't affect this one at all. I mean the whole hype about the first before release was it got all those accolades increasing its OW, this film was getting nowhere near the same acclaim.

Found Joker 1 perfectly fine, neither worthy of praise or scorn, haven't revisited it since 2019.

The idea of doing a sequel always seemed lame imo but the musical angle was at least SO out of left field that I was intrigued...and the musical angle is the worst part! It's SO half assed and awkwardly inserted that you could cut it all out and no one would be the wiser, it drags the movie out to a punishing 140 minutes.

I almost wanna tip my hat off to it and praise it for being weirder and more ambitious than the first even if it fails but...it goes about it's (admittedly intriguing concept) in the least interesting and shallow way possible. It's such a slog after the first act and you could sense the audience slowly turning on it the further it went along.

4/10 general audiences are going to HATE this

• Like 2