TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, AdamKendall said:

I rarely go to movies in the theater anymore ... but I loved the first movie and was excited to see this in theaters all year

... and now ... I will not be seeing it ... my excitement got so low due to bad buzz that I just allowed myself to have the film spoiled and I'm glad I did.

... not every film needs a sequel ... and this CLEARLY seems to be one of those examples.

I saw it and I can say you just made one of the best decisions in your life. 

• Like 3

It's impossible for this movie not to be an intentional joke, how did they have the courage to approve this? 

Congratulations Warner Brothers and Todd Phillips, I haven't seen anyone shot yourself in the foot like this in many years, must have been a lot of effort to ruin this movie like that 

2/10 being generous because the cinematography is at least pleasing sometimes 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

BMS score 4.9.

Worst ever for a Hollywood film in India I have seen.

This is specially bad because India is filled with pretentious "Yo Joker so Rad" type Bros.

Edited by THUNDER BIRD
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

lmao at Matrix 4 being a cult movie, a bunch of people on twitter liking it doesn't make it a cult movie

And what does? Sometimes it feels like words lost their meaning.

Cult movies are precisely movies that aren’t beloved overall but have a very strong impact in some groups. It always has been a niche sub-culture. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Firepower said:

This is minority, like there are poorly received films I absolutely love, but I'm not gonna pretend they are gonna be cult films down the line.

Well, that's right, being loved by vocal and devoted minority is kinda the definition of a cult movie. The one difference between M4 and Southland Tales is the latter was more hated by critics

Since i saw some comparissons by some reviewers on letterboxd, it’s being discussed here and i like to wrap things up in a way that makes the whole discussion not fall into “derailing thread” mode, i’ll say this. 

Joker 2 is Matrix 4, they’re the same movie, but from different sides.

In one side we have a director who actually loves cinema and loves her work to a point that the meta aspect is only a mean to an end: reclaim her ideas, reclaim  her franchise, reclaim the queerness of her concepts that has been co-opted by bad people. It’s a beautiful sincere movie about love and rebuild.

In the other side we have a director who hates his work to a point that the meta aspect is also a mean to an end: destroy what he did since he presumed no one get it right. His movie has been co-opted as well, but instead of reclaim it somehow, he take it from them and burned it. 

It’s a bold and daring proposition, i respect it a lot and personally found this miles better than boring executive sequels. Yet, it’s an approach that ends up producing exactly what people accused the first movie: cynical and nihilism to a point of no return. 

You know what would be better? Take it back by actually creating another new thing on top of it instead of destroying it. It would piss off the fans and maybe critics, but it would have a soul in it’s provoking approach.

• Haha 1

4 twitter accounts posting about Matrix 4 twice a year doesn't make it a cult classic. The way that term is thrown around so freely now is funny. The only film in recent times that's remotely a cult classic would be Blade Runner 2049 and maybe Furiosa from this year but it remains to be seen.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Blade Runner 2049 and maybe Furiosa from this year but it remains to be seen.

Both these movies are wildly acclaimed and beloved by pretty much everyone who saw. Is just that most people simply didn’t bother to saw them at all lol 

Edited by ThomasNicole

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t see Matrix 4, or 3, because Reloaded was one of the worst films I’ve ever seen. 

I remember the cinema being so buzzy just before it and just dead throughout and after. Such a let down. 

Matrix Reloaded was actually good for the action. It was the 3rd one that shit the bed for me and the 4th one is just “lol, of course they intentionally made a shitty film, of course!”

• Like 1

I don't know if Matrix 4 or Joker 2 will became a cult or something i just meant right now this seems like a new Matrix situation.

Trailers with huge views, people thinking there is big hype, critics so- so, pre sales start low, audience scores are bad and the fans of the franchise feel insulted, bad box office and bad legs (last two are still not a fact for joker but seems like this the scenario is coming).

Edited by vale9001

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Since i saw some comparissons by some reviewers on letterboxd, it’s being discussed here and i like to wrap things up in a way that makes the whole discussion not fall into “derailing thread” mode, i’ll say this. 

Joker 2 is Matrix 4, they’re the same movie, but from different sides.

In one side we have a director who actually loves cinema and loves her work to a point that the meta aspect is only a mean to an end: reclaim her ideas, reclaim  her franchise, reclaim the queerness of her concepts that has been co-opted by bad people. It’s a beautiful sincere movie about love and rebuild.

In the other side we have a director who hates his work to a point that the meta aspect is also a mean to an end: destroy what he did since he presumed no one get it right. His movie has been co-opted as well, but instead of reclaim it somehow, he take it from them and burned it. 

It’s a bold and daring proposition, i respect it a lot and personally found this miles better than boring executive sequels. Yet, it’s an approach that ends up producing exactly what people accused the first movie: cynical and nihilism to a point of no return. 

You know what would be better? Take it back by actually creating another new thing on top of it instead of destroying it. It would piss off the fans and maybe critics, but it would have a soul in it’s provoking approach.

This would make sense IF Joker Folie a Deux was a provocative movie, which it isn't. The movie is flat, with a poorly written script, with a very poorly written and personality-less female character (which is even an affront to Lady Gaga as an actress). Matrix 4 with all its flaws, makes you think, makes you feel something, Joker Folie a Deux on the other hand, is a movie that feels like an endless epilogue that goes from nowhere to nowhere at all.