TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

A Marvels like drop at the box office mixed with critic and audience reception on par with Dark Phoenix.  Anyways, Im seeing the movie after work at 7.  Cinemark - XD only around 20 seats sold at the moment.  Can't be as bad as Megalopolis, right?

People didn't want a Joker sequel, and really bad reviews and being a musical made it worst.

DC brand is badly tarnished right now. They have lost the trust of the audience after so many bad movies.

There is so much riding on Superman now.

Edited by Mojoguy

12 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

People didn't want a Joker sequel, and really bad reviews and being a musical made it worst.

DC brand is badly tarnished right now. They have lost the trust of the audience after so many bad movies.

There is so much riding on Superman now.

I'm not writing off The Batman Part II, though.

The insane potential they had in this sequel with the casting of Gaga and  the captivating stories they could have created with the Joker, Harley, and Dent is infinite. You could have had two musical set pieces without making it a musical and have Gaga front and center in those pieces. Whatever. Not only would you have a much better film on your hands, you would have been able to market it better. I mean, seriously, the fact that Gaga is so fucking underutilized not just in the film but also in the marketing is a travesty.

I'm watching the film tomorrow, and I'm avoiding spoilers, but god damn, this might be one of the most disastrous campaigns I've ever seen for a blockbuster.  

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 3

Just watched the movie and I feel dazed that sure was something. What it was I couldn't tell you, but it was something for sure. I want to study Todd Phillips brain in a lab so I can understand how he approached this movie and why. What did he think he was going for exactly. I don't know so I can't say whether he did it or not.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

The insane potential they had in this sequel with the casting of Gaga and the stories the captivating stories they could have created with the Joker, Harley, and Dent is infinite. You could have had two musical set pieces without making it a musical and have Gaga front and center in those pieces. Whatever. Not only would you have a much better film on your hands, you would have been able to market it better. I mean, seriously, the fact that Gaga is so fucking underutilized not just in the film but also in the marketing is a travesty.

I'm watching the film tomorrow, and I'm avoiding spoilers, but god damn, this might be one of the most disastrous campaigns I've ever seen for a blockbuster.  

Lady Gaga even made a companion studio album for this and She is  promoting It on TV. In the UK She can was in that famous talk show (and not Phoenix). How is She barely used in the marketing?. Come on!  😅

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

One thing to note: a fair chunk of the US was wrecked by Helene, so *everything* for the next few months will be lower than what it theoretically should.

That said, I don't think Joker 2's massive fall off from Helene was really because of the hurricane. Maybe 5 mil off the opening weekend at most?

Not that much of the US; Only part of the South. I doubt Helene will have that big an impact.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Has there ever been a lightning in a bottle box office run that the sequel replicated or even surpassed? Maybe Frozen, but that's animation. 

Avatar 2 made $2B but that dropped by a lot in terms of admissions 

Joker 2 is collapsing 

Wakanda Forever fell by a lot

Alice 2 collapsed 

Batman Begins was only a modest sucess; no one was expecting Dark Knight to be the massive hit it was.

And to really go back, "Dr. No" the first 007 film was surpassed at the box office by all the subsequent Bond movies.

21 minutes ago, Noctis said:

RT Consensus:

Joaquin Phoenix's eponymous Joker takes the stand in a sequel that dances around while the story remains still, although Lady Gaga's wildcard energy gives Folie á Deux some verve.

Imagine getting the two lead performances right yet the movie being slated. Add in the cinematography and score being praised too and you have to wonder what the hell happened between the original cut and this final product...

Just now, Rusty said:

Imagine getting the two lead performances right yet the movie being slated. Add in the cinematography and score being praised too and you have to wonder what the hell happened between the original cut and this final product...

From what I have read, there is pleny wrong in the film that no amount of additonal footage would fix.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Just more proof the success of Joker was a mystery to everyone including the creators.

I don't get it myself. Todd Phillips made a pretty darn funny movie with the first Hangover movie in 2009. Yet there was zero sense of humor in his 2019 Joker film. It didn't seem like The Joker character to me. I expect The Joker to be a scary AND funny character. 

I also don't really understand trying to turn The Joker into a sympathetic guy. That's not what he is. He's a twisted dude with a very dark sense of humor. I'm afraid this Joker sequel will continue lacking the proper sense of humor and will have a little too much sympathy for this very non-Joker person named Arthur Fleck. 

• Like 2

Another major variable that is not being properly weighed is how quickly word of mouth travels in 2024. Especially for this type of R Rated adult film. This appeals to a certain type of audience. Poor - not average, not, its OK', but poor -  advance word of mouth is, in my view, literally taking $50 million off of the weekend, in my view. 

Had the WOM being glowing ala the initial WOM and reviews for the first film, no doubt in my mind this film is looking low to even mid $100m range. But the audience this type of film attracts absolutely pays attention to reviews and when many of them say "it sucks, don't see it", huge amounts of said audience will listen 

13 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Another major variable that is not being properly weighed is how quickly word of mouth travels in 2024. Especially for this type of R Rated adult film. This appeals to a certain type of audience. Poor - not average, not, its OK', but poor -  advance word of mouth is, in my view, literally taking $50 million off of the weekend, in my view. 

Had the WOM being glowing ala the initial WOM and reviews for the first film, no doubt in my mind this film is looking low to even mid $100m range. But the audience this type of film attracts absolutely pays attention to reviews and when many of them say "it sucks, don't see it", huge amounts of said audience will listen 

Venice was a huge mistake for this. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Definitely agree with this. WOM spreads FAST these days with social media, hence why we see movies collapse so quickly now (Leading to poor IM)

Whereas, a decade ago, it would take until the weekdays when WOM spread that legs would start to crater

$50M might be too much. Venice reviews weren't bad, just average, and still early presales didn't indicate anything close to $100M OW...Maybe toxic WOM is taking off $10M-$20M from OW

• Like 3