TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

This movie's run makes me appreciate Deadpool 2 (2018) more

You mean the sequel  that was still a big hit even if it made a little less DOM than the first  breakout  movie which lot's of the time happens.  Empire Strikes  Back,  Temple of Doom, Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows, The Lost World , Way of Water. 

Edited by emoviefan
  • Like 1

This is once in a decade (if not two) perfomance, it was impossible to predict and even the most delusional worst case predictions were very generous. I don't think other movies should be compared to this because this one is an anomaly, but it does teach that we don't know shit, anything can happen, even the most impossible outcome.

6 minutes ago, Firepower said:

This is once in a decade (if not two) perfomance, it was impossible to predict and even the most delusional worst case predictions were very generous. I don't think other movies should be compared to this because this one is an anomaly, but it does teach that we don't know shit, anything can happen, even the most impossible outcome.

I think many users here tried telling you this outcome was very likely based on pre-sales and a total rejection like The Marvels was very possible and most likely to happen.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I think many users here tried telling you this outcome was very likely based on pre-sales and a total rejection like The Marvels was very possible and most likely to happen.

Not really? Before pre-sales absolutely nobody predicted this perfomance, not even people who wanted it to fail hard, in fact Quorum indicated 100+ mln weekened. And during pre-sales nobody predicted record-breaking second and third weekend drops, even below 40 mln prediction showed up very close to release. Anyone who now claims it was expected or even remotely possible a month before release is lying very obviously.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Go back to the page when reviews dropped from Venice, most were sure it won't hurt that much because the first wasn't well loved by critics as well lol.

And how does it have anything to do with this movie barely crossing 200 mln worldwide with 81+% second weekend domestic drop? No need to play history revisionism, Venice reception was ok, stayed fresh for a while, much much better than when it was released to public. The bottom line is it was impossible to predict 200 mln worldwide with the worst Cinema Score, Post Track and the worst second weekend drop ever weeks before release, anyone who claims otherwise is a shameless liar, this kind of perfomance and rejection is incredibly rare, even more rare for a movie of this budget and expectations.

Edited by Firepower
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mad Max007 said:

Give it a rest dude, you were calling out others then too for "panicking" over reviews. Just take the L.

Over what, dude? Obviously I was wrong, my point is it wasn't normal flop and therefore this result wasn't something that could be predicted weeks before release simply because collapse like this never happens in 99% cases and Venice reception didn't represent the actual reception of the movie. If you're trying to pretend you thought it will do 200 mln worldwide with the worst Cinemascore in the genre when it premiered at Venice, then take the L as well because you didn't.

Edited by Firepower

Inexplicably massive sequel falls like Ted 2 and Alice Through the Looking Glass and The Marvels kind of took the complete shock out of this seeing an ugly fall. That the movie turned out to be such a hated dud that would result in this level of failure was something no one was predicting. In retrospect, that's probably on us for being naive enough to believe that the guy who gave us The Hangover Part III could land this plane.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Usually $200M budget CBMs have $150M marketing budgets but I wonder if this is lower if WB gave up hope once they realized it was DOA. That's probably why The Flash is only $120M and not $150M.

Flash was marketed really heavily with all those advanced screenings, commercials, and a super bowl ad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Inexplicably massive sequel falls like Ted 2 and Alice Through the Looking Glass and The Marvels kind of took the complete shock out of this seeing an ugly fall. That the movie turned out to be such a hated dud that would result in this level of failure was something no one was predicting. In retrospect, that's probably on us for being naive enough to believe that the guy who gave us The Hangover Part III could land this plane.

I can’t believe Warner gave Phillips the power to do zero test screenings. Even James Cameron & Chris Nolan are supportive of test screenings to help improve their movies. Those guys have full creative control but they are not irrational with their behavior while putting together the movies. 

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I can’t believe Warner gave Phillips the power to do zero test screenings. Even James Cameron & Chris Nolan are supportive of test screenings to help improve their movies. Those guys have full creative control but they are not irrational with their behavior while putting together the movies. 

Nolan does not do test screenings. Only screenings for family and friends (including other prominent people in the industry)

• Like 4

come on, everyone here thought this was destinated to be a success. Then a moderate- big or massive? That was opinions but no one thought such a colossal trainwreck was coming. We can blame studios for a lot of epic fails were "on air" for most people but this time it's very surprising you can exactly understand every studio move if you go months backwards...it's easy to say now "why this didn't happen, why that didn't happen, why they did this, why they did that"...

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3

When you consider a lot of the composite aspects of this movie ranged in most reviews from raves to very positive (acting by Phoenix and Gaga, cinematography, score, costuming and even practical effects & CGI) and add in that the overarching concept of a story about those who only support or even take advantage of Arthur when he's acting as Joker being as bad as those who never noticed him in the first place (a pretty bold and a worthy narrative to explore), to execute it this poorly and have it so detested by critics and audiences is quite a feat. 

8 minutes ago, Rusty said:

When you consider a lot of the composite aspects of this movie ranged in most reviews from raves... execute it this poorly and have it so detested by critics and audiences is quite a feat. 

I disagree.  For many people it only takes one scene to ruin or augment a movie.