TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

Interesting article about Joker 2's OW prospects trying to gauge the buzz around this, although I'd say it's still too early lol. 

https://thequorum.com/new-to-the-quorum-joker-folie-a-deux/

Spoiler

While Warner Bros. has struggled with its DC properties, this superhero-adjacent property should be immune to the current superhero malaise. In fact, at The Quorum, we assigned DEUX to the Tentpole group rather than the DC/MCU group. That means DEUX sits alongside titles like TOP GUN: MAVERICK, BARBIE, and NO TIME TO DIE.

The average opening for Tentpoles is $77M, roughly $20M less than the opening for the first JOKER. That means DEUX will have to overperform against the group average. Early tracking suggests that DEUX is well positioned to do that.

Currently, interest in DEUX sits at 57% versus 50% for the group average at the same distance from release. Remarkably, DEUX ranks third among all films being tracked by The Quorum, behind DEADPOOL 3 and BEETLEJUICE 2. That’s quite an impressive start. DEUX is also easily outpacing the group averages for the theater and fee metrics. These three metrics suggest that DEUX should easily top the average $77M opening for the group.

At 35%, awareness for DEUX is quite a bit lower than the group average of 41%. How can that be? It seems strange, given that the studio has been aggressively dropping set photos over the past few months. In all likelihood, the title is suppressing awareness. Had the film been called JOKER 2, the score would likely have been higher. That shouldn’t be a problem as the campaign kicks in its first trailer. Over time, people will become accustomed to the title. That’s why we don’t see the low awareness as being a problem. Also, low awareness and high interest is not a bad place to be. That means the people who know about the film want to see it. As awareness grows, the film should be well positioned to rival the first film’s opening.

Screenshot-2024-01-03-at-12.49.14-PM-153

Very excited for this looking forward to the first teaser/trailer! 

Joaquin-Phoenix-Lady-Gaga-Joker-Stairs-S

• Like 1

"After becoming the Joker and murdering Murray Franklin live on television, Arthur Fleck is imprisoned within Arkham State Hospital where he meets Dr. Harleen Quinzel. As the two quickly fall madly in love with each other, District Attorney Harvey Dent begins to build a case against Arthur for his previous actions, forcing Harleen to take action in order to save her new partner in crime."

2 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

"After becoming the Joker and murdering Murray Franklin live on television, Arthur Fleck is imprisoned within Arkham State Hospital where he meets Dr. Harleen Quinzel. As the two quickly fall madly in love with each other, District Attorney Harvey Dent begins to build a case against Arthur for his previous actions, forcing Harleen to take action in order to save her new partner in crime."

Not gonna lie, that synopsis sounds dangerously close to coming across like a Tumblr fanfic. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Not gonna lie, that synopsis sounds dangerously close to coming across like a Tumblr fanfic. 

I think it’ll really come down to how much focus they put on Harley compared to Joker. If she becomes the “true lead” or something then yeah, fanfic territory.

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Except for the Harvey Dent angle, it is pretty much the classic joker

Except for the Harvey Dent angle, it is pretty much the standard Harley Quinn origin story; She is a psychraist who falls in love with her patiant.

And I hope that Bruce Timm gets screen credit for creating Harley for Batman,TAS.

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Except for the Harvey Dent angle, it is pretty much the classic joker

Except for the Harvey Dent angle, it is pretty much the standard Harley Quinn origin story; She is a psychraist who falls in love with her patiant.

And I hope that Bruce Timm gets screen credit for creating Harley for Batman,TAS.

I’m well aware of what the “standard Harley Quinn origin story” is. Even in TAS, her “romance” with the Joker was never meant to be seen as #RelationshipGoals. 

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m well aware of what the “standard Harley Quinn origin story” is. Even in TAS, her “romance” with the Joker was never meant to be seen as #RelationshipGoals. 

No kidding. Remember the episode where Harley sings "Can't we be sweethearts again"?

To clarify my earlier comment, the reason I said this sounds like a Tumblr fanfic is because it makes it almost makes it seem like it’ll be one of those “love redeems” stories. It’s like something a person who felt sad for Arthur in the first movie would come up with. 

I could only hope this’ll be another case of Arthur imagining something in his head, rather than him genuinely finding someone who loves him for who he is or whatever.