TMP

Joker: Folie a Deux | October 4, 2024 | Lady Gaga is Harley Quinn in this 200M+ musical sequel

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Nah whoever approved this budget needs a kick in the shins. The rumored $150m budget was already insane but this is just irresponsible on WB's part.

It’s a sequel to one of the most successful movies of all time, made a billion, and is adding one of the biggest stars on the planet. $500 mil is almost guaranteed which means green lighting at this budget is a safe bet. How would you better allocate $200 mil if you were WB? 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Nah whoever approved this budget needs a kick in the shins. The rumored $150m budget was already insane but this is just irresponsible on WB's part.

This is a sequel to one of the most profitable films of all time. $200m isn't that crazy...

25 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

It’s a sequel to one of the most successful movies of all time, made a billion, and is adding one of the biggest stars on the planet. $500 mil is almost guaranteed which means green lighting at this budget is a safe bet. How would you better allocate $200 mil if you were WB? 

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

This is a sequel to one of the most profitable films of all time. $200m isn't that crazy...

The first film cost $60M, so now this has a much higher threshold to clear at a time where CBMs are no longer a sure thing. And I don't expect this to hit the same reception the first film did (I know several folks who find the reported musical element a turn off). 

7 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Even if this literally made $0 the franchise would still be a net return on investment, so I'm for going nuts. If it kills the franchise so be it but at least it went out with a bang.

That is absolutely in no way true.

I'm not interested in debating the specifics of profit margins but $1 billion would still be considered respectable for even the most expensive blockbuster movies. They clearly have the audience for it, why not do it if you have the ability?

Edited by AniNate

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

The first film cost $60M, so now this has a much higher threshold to clear at a time where CBMs are no longer a sure thing. And I don't expect this to hit the same reception the first film did (I know several folks who find the reported musical element a turn off). 

Joker is not perceived as a CBM by audiences. It is true cinema.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

Makes sense, I'm sure Phoenix's quote went through the roof, same for Phillips, and Lady Gaga couldn't have been cheap.

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

I don't think this is just Gaga, Star is Born wasn't even 40 million.

Sources say Joaquin Phoenix is getting $20 million to reprise his role as the clown prince of crime, while Lady Gaga is taking home about $12 million to play Harley Quinn.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I think it's more superhero movies are no longer a sure thing - and this was greenlit a year and a half ago when comic book movies / superhero movies were a sure thing. Despite the last year Joker 2 still seems like a sure thing.

2 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Joker is not perceived as a CBM by audiences. It is true cinema.

Maybe this one will actually be good and not just whatever Scorsese movie Todd Phillips tries to ape.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 2

I'm pretty interested in 2 Joker 2 Furious. The musical aspect and Gaga Harley are both interesting to me even if I think the first one sucks, let them go crazy with that 200M budget. Imagine a lot of it is for the musical sequences and set pieces.