Eric the Clown

FROZEN II WEEKEND THREAD | 130.26M OW | BLACK FRIDAY WEEK SALE: Gold Accounts 25% OFF | I like warm hugs and I cannot lie | No Knives Out Spoilers :)

3 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

Ugh. Americans. :hahaha:

Never get the hype behind Hunger Games and Shrek.

Shrek at its best (1 and 2) it's a franchise that has a pretty unique blend of kid and adult appeal. You have bodily functions humor for the kids and the fresh-at-the-time meta jokes for adults. The subversion of fairy tale tropes was also quite popular. 

• Like 1

@steve141 if you are linking world of kj for Japan info its realtime local data - I assume from Corpse as I didnt check the link. Long time poster from the old BOM days that lives there and shares local Japanese info. 

The legs of Frozen 1 were mindboggling in Japan so getting a large opening there (which is rare) is a good step to a decent gross. 

Japan was bound to open huge after the original's performance there. Overall, it looks like it will be a massive movie, but... Yeah, hard not to think most people, Disney execs included, were expecting more on the domestic front, after what we've seen some animated sequels are capable of. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Japan was bound to open huge after the original's performance there. Overall, it looks like it will be a massive movie, but... Yeah, hard not to think most people, Disney execs included, were expecting more on the domestic front, after what we've seen some animated sequels are capable of. 

Not really though. Even Shawn (from BO.com) himself talked with the trades about the difficulties they had determining where it could go and its going to come in line with their upper end expectations and they were the high outlier from most of the trades and Disney themselves. 

We have to remember that this particular weekend is the same as if a film opens on December 20th - the grosses are more spread out instead of condensed in just 3 days. There is a reason beyond opening films on Wednesday that Incredibles 1 still had the November family record, especially when its a popular month for animated films in general. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Shame away. I loved the hunger games. Dystopian addiction.

I quite enjoyed them, save Mockingjay part 1. I was just bored during that. The curse of the finale split... 

But overall I would definitely put it amongst the best YA adaptations, possibly second only to Potter. 

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Not really though. Even Shawn (from BO.com) himself talked with the trades about the difficulties they had determining where it could go and its going to come in line with their upper end expectations and they were the high outlier from most of the trades and Disney themselves. 

We have to remember that this particular weekend is the same as if a film opens on December 20th - the grosses are more spread out instead of condensed in just 3 days. There is a reason beyond opening films on Wednesday that Incredibles 1 still had the November family record, especially when its a popular month for animated films in general. 

Yes, yes, I get all that, but we've seen highly anticipated sequels open in this spot to larger results, a decade ago... Obviously this is more family-heavy than Twilight, but I don't think 150 for Frozen 2 was an unrealistic target for OW, even considering its calendar... 

Still a great number, of course. Will be exciting to see its performance this next week. In an ideal world, this beats TLK, so here's hoping we're in for some amazing numbers. 

I set myself to be disappointed with personal expectations for Frozen 2's opening weekend but @narniadis is right. After the Thanksgiving weekend ends is when we should properly assess whether Frozen 2 exceeded expectations, met expectations or went below expectations. I mentioned it in the tracking thread several times about how Frozen 2 isn't just about this weekend but rather next weekend too. Typically movies being released have to play out like a sprint and make money asap but when a film opens up the way Frozen 2 has, it plays out more like a marathon because it benefits from having a holiday weekend (week actually). 

*Despite me knowing all of this, I will still post irrational things about Frozen 2's box office performance. But rest assured my meltdowns will NEVER top those that occurred when Deadpool 2 was released :ph34r:

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, yes, I get all that, but we've seen highly anticipated sequels open in this spot to larger results, a decade ago... Obviously this is more family-heavy than Twilight, but I don't think 150 for Frozen 2 was an unrealistic target for OW, even considering its calendar... 

Still a great number, of course. Will be exciting to see its performance this next week. In an ideal world, this beats TLK, so here's hoping we're in for some amazing numbers. 

Yes but Twilight dropped a hefty amount in its second weekend which is not expected from Frozen 2 *for now* Twilight ended up playing more like a traditional film rather than a film actually benefiting from a holiday weekend (for its 3 day). If Frozen 2 ends up having a similar result then I agree with you. But if it ends up having a great drop next weekend then its a moot point. 

Edited by Nova

33 minutes ago, Menor said:

Shrek at its best (1 and 2) it's a franchise that has a pretty unique blend of kid and adult appeal. You have bodily functions humor for the kids and the fresh-at-the-time meta jokes for adults. The subversion of fairy tale tropes was also quite popular. 

I watched first part last year, it was poorly average.

Funny enough it was frontloaded opening day wise like a Twilight film :unsure: just kidding of sorts. 

I was stubbornly in the 140m train for the last few months so its not like I didnt set my expectations high as well, but 150m always seemed IMO a lot to ask for simply because only 1 film of this sort has ever done it and that one was massively skewed to adults and males. 

We have to remember also that its not easy for family skewing films to overcome lower ticket prices - something Keyser has been talking a lot about - without a major adult audience like which drove I2 and TLK. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

I watched first part last year, it was poorly average.

That is probably part of the reason you dislike it lol - no harm or foul. It was a film that was decisively of its Time and was a breath of fresh air considering the sugar Disney had given us for decades (yes I know not all disney films were that way.) The problem was that Shrek fell prey to the Disney curse that was part of their own DreamWorks dna and they couldnt let their golden goose lay dormant - so they killed it with the turd..... shudders.... 

• Like 3

Frozen and Charlie's Angels both target female audience. The former breaks records all over the world and it shows that the female audience has huge consuming power and is driving force or saving grace for the future cinema.

Yet, Charlie's Angels bombs to the abyss,

WHY? 

9 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Frozen and Charlie's Angels both target female audience. The former breaks records all over the world and it shows that the female audience has huge consuming power and is driving force or saving grace for the future cinema.

Yet, Charlie's Angels bombs to the abyss,

WHY? 

Men didn’t go watch Charlie’s Angels. We were saving our money for the film of our time, Frozen 2. Gave it a $120M+ boost domestically and a $300M+ boost OS :ph34r:

Edited by Nova