cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

3 hours ago, Avatree said:

Yeah, it’s great, that’s why the review embargo is the day of release…

i predict: 38% on RT.

I mean, that's not true.

Movies have later review embargos now. Barbie released on 7/21/2023 and the embargo lifted on 7/18/2023. Oppenheimer released the same day and the embargo for that was 7/19/2023.

The embargo date is not an indicator for the quality of the movie.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, KGPatt2 said:

I mean, that's not true.

Movies have later review embargos now. Barbie released on 7/21/2023 and the embargo lifted on 7/18/2023. Oppenheimer released the same day and the embargo for that was 7/19/2023.

The embargo date is not an indicator for the quality of the movie.

Let's speak again on Wednesday. :)

9 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Will see. The Fall Guy just proved an early review embargo drop means nothing in the end. Disney may just figure the closer the better which will fuel Walkups and late buys. Or Jeff Sneider will get to crow he was right. 

2 hours ago, Avatree said:

Whether it has good reviews, bad reviews or somewhere in the middle, the date of the review embargo is irrelevant. Both good and bad movies have had review embargo dates all over the place.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Avatree said:

You know WED isn’t even day of release like you said right? If the reviews are bad they have nothing to do with the embargo date 

According to the tracking, the advance ticket sale is just so so. From the point of view of studio, they might need a push by critics unless they think it won't give any help. That's why I personally think RT will be more like 70s level at best.

• Like 1

I feel like they expect good but not great reviews.  I just hope they are good and enthusiastic enough to push it past 50 million this weekend. We really need it right now. And a decent hold for the Fall Guy next weekend also. Might be too much ask for right now but will see.

13 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

According to the tracking, the advance ticket sale is just so so. From the point of view of studio, they might need a push by critics unless they think it won't give any help. That's why I personally think RT will be more like 70s level at best.

Do you think studios actually think critic reviews affect the box office

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

It's about how it could affect enthusiasm. Not just in positive or negative way, but something more complicated. 

For example, Flash never ever has truly great reviews, but Warner Bros insisted to lift the embargo so early. Was that because they thought reviews did not matter? I don't think so. It was because they need a big push for its poor ticket sales. Even though the RT number didn't look well, but at least they could use some words from great reviews to bring more hypes. If studios really believe reviews are totally meaningless, then every movie, no matter good or bad, should hold their embargo until the day they open.

For this moment, the new Apes movie just look average in pre-sale. I don't think Disney won't take advantage of great reviews if they could. It is exactly the studio who knows how to use those numbers. I'm not gonna say the movie would be mediocre or bad, but Disney probably think there is a risk that critics reviews would not be great and hurt the box office.

3 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

Depands on the movie. Some movies are critic proof, others are not.