cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

I remember when Dawn was filming in my hometown. Ninth grade DAJK was pretty excited about all that. 

Also side note, but in retrospect 2014 was a truly awesome year for movies. The ones I liked/loved have only grown on me (Interstellar, Whiplash, Dawn, Fault in Our Stars, GOTG, etc.) and even the ones I didn't like as much on first viewing have grown on me too (TASM 2, Godzilla, Grand Budapest).

• Like 4

Planet of the Apes is similar to Transformers and Godzilla/Kong in that they're franchises that don't really have massive devoted fanbases (compared to superhero movies and Star Wars, anyway) but do have sizable casual audience appeal; I remember Rise looking like an August non-event until it suddenly blew up with its $50M+ opening and solid legs. Could see something similar here, especially since it'll be the first franchise movie in theaters since GxK.

2 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

Planet of the Apes is similar to Transformers and Godzilla/Kong in that they're franchises that don't really have massive devoted fanbases (compared to superhero movies and Star Wars, anyway) but do have sizable casual audience appeal; I remember Rise looking like an August non-event until it suddenly blew up with its $50M+ opening and solid legs. Could see something similar here, especially since it'll be the first franchise movie in theaters since GxK.

Nah, Transformers actually does have a pretty devoted fanbase. That’s why the franchise has a ridiculously convoluted mythology for something that was made to sell toys. Michael Bay even received death threats back when the first movie was being made. That wouldn’t have happened if Transformers didn’t have a devoted fanbase. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Nah, Transformers actually does have a pretty devoted fanbase. That’s why the franchise has a ridiculously convoluted mythology for something that was made to sell toys. Michael Bay even received death threats back when the first movie was being made. That wouldn’t have happened if Transformers didn’t have a devoted fanbase. 

Transformers used to have a fanbase, it just fell apart after they got rid of Shia, Megan, and Bay. It would be massive if they brought Bay back with the OG cast.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 2

22 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Voldie said this was testing great and Disney was happy with it. To Counter that Jeff Sneider reported a few weeks later the opposite. Who to believe since you can take things both of these guys say with a  grains of salt. 

You're better off believing neither of them about testing, ever. I'm pretty sure both of them always have an agenda to push.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bob Train said:

Transformers used to have a fanbase, it just fell apart after they got rid of Shia, Megan, and Bay. It would be massive if they brought Bay back with the OG cast.

They are NOT the "OG" cast and most actual Transformers fans don't particularly like them.

I DO find it amusing that the Monsterverse fanbase realized people watch these things for the MONSTERS yet the Transformers "fanbase" seems unable to grasp that people watch Transformers movies for the TRANSFORMERS, not for a bunch of hacky shit involving dogs fucking and Romeo and Juliet laws.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

You're better off believing neither of them about testing, ever. I'm pretty sure both of them always have an agenda to push.

They are all paid industry shills trying to sabotage the opposing studio's movies anyway. Only way THAT ends is if we're somehow left with only one studio making wide releases. Ever notice that nobody's talking up Paramount this year?

Rise of the Planet of the Apes was one of the wild cards of that summer considering nobody really knew how much demand there still was for the IP following the meh reception to the Tim Burton/Mark Wahlberg remake a decade earlier (it had lackluster for 2001 staying power after posting the second-biggest opening ever at the time). That it ended up doing as well it did felt like a testament to the movie's surprisingly strong quality. Whether this will live up to that excellent trilogy is probably going to be what ultimately ends up making or breaking this.

• Like 3

Visually this movie looks great. My one concern from the trailers is that apes fighting over the morality of hunting humans seems kind of small potatoes to hinge the entire plot of the film around. Hopefully there's more going on, especially if this movie really is 2.5 hours.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

so happy studios aren’t listening to the whining online complaints about movies being “too long”

Agreed. The last few Marvel movies (besides Guardians) have been too short imo and coincidentally their reception has suffered.

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

so happy studios aren’t listening to the whining online complaints about movies being “too long”

Why would they? Dune was nearly 3 hours and that went over better than virtually anything else this year!

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Agreed. Movies haven't gotten longer, attention spans have just gotten shorter.