cax16

Kingdom of the Planet Of The Apes | May 10, 2024 | Wes Ball to develop and direct

10 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Reminder that Jeff Sneider humiliated himself last month when he claimed that Sydney Sweeney was going to be in a movie with Johnny Depp, and continued to double down even after Sweeney’s representatives refuted it. 

Getting debunked by the DiscussingFilm twitter account should destroy any shred of credibility a “scooper” has.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I seriously don’t think the WED embargo means anything, reactions are solid

Fox lifted embargo for First Omen on previews THU and it had 81% on RT with 7 average 

I honestly think they have PTSD from last years movies getting bad reviews very early, so they are extra cautios this year.

• Like 1

Variety is forecasting $50-55M OW.

Typical modern Apes film OW. The last 3 were 54-72-56.

Dawn really overpreformed and might be the ceiling for this franchise. Good thing Kingdom has nothing coming out on it's 2nd weekend.

8 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Variety is forecasting $50-55M OW.

Typical modern Apes film OW. The last 3 were 54-72-56.

Dawn really overpreformed and might be the ceiling for this franchise. Good thing Kingdom has nothing coming out on it's 2nd weekend.

Ummm, IF (which is getting at least a share of PLFs), The Strangers: Chapter 1, and Back to Black all say Hi!:)..

• Like 1

I remember the Deadline tracking from a few weeks ago... is this really tracking like a $50m+ opener? That would be good, almost on par with War (yes, I'm aware of the 7 years of inflation in between movies, but still).

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ummm, IF (which is getting at least a share of PLFs), The Strangers: Chapter 1, and Back to Black all say Hi!:)..

Is anyone gonna see Back to Black? There's no overlap with the Strangers audience. IF could pull some families I guess.

Posted (edited)

None of the recent movies have had great legs, even the relatively WOM-driven Rise dropped close to 50% its following week, got a nice boost over Labor Day though which helped it to 3x+

Edited by AniNate

Just now, toutvabien said:

I remember the Deadline tracking from a few weeks ago... is this really tracking like a $50m+ opener? That would be good, almost on par with War (yes, I'm aware of the 7 years of inflation in between movies, but still).

In a post pandemic world, $50M something OW would be excellent for Apes. It's all about retaining audiences and hoping for great WOM to boost legs. I think War was just too dark and slow which explained the decrease from Dawn.

Apes films have never been dumb blockbusters like Transformers with mass appeal, so near 100M OW was never on the table. Goal should be Dawn's total.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

In a post pandemic world, $50M something OW would be excellent for Apes. It's all about retaining audiences and hoping for great WOM to boost legs. I think War was just too dark and slow which explained the decrease from Dawn.

Apes films have never been dumb blockbusters like Transformers with mass appeal, so near 100M OW was never on the table. Goal should be Dawn's total.

If it manages that, then Apes will prove it has some brand strength. I honestly expected that tracking would come in lower than it did. Hope it actually does over 50.

Posted (edited)

165M budget based on Deadlines latest article, much more than the 120M assumed after Robert Meyer Burnett said that it was 30M less than the last one. Still should gain profit if projections hold and wom is okay 

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Is anyone gonna see Back to Black? There's no overlap with the Strangers audience. IF could pull some families I guess.

Apes and Strangers will have overlap of audience 58% of War's audience was men with 64% over 25.  That seems like the same demo for Strangers.

No surprise here in regards to demos. Men turned out repping 58% of War‘s Friday night CinemaScore audience with 64% over 25. Fifty-seven percent attended because they’re Planet of the Apes fans.

Edited by JimmyB

It’s so weird. As one look at my avi should suggest I was a huge fan of the franchise as a kid. Movies, tv, Halloween costumes, lunchbox, the works. But despite my best efforts I can’t get into the new series in the least.

That said I wish it well and hope it blows all predictions away.

IF is the only opener the following weekend that would have any sort of overlap with this. The other two openers are tracking for openings in the single digits area and aren't looking to be threats to anything.