filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

16 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The DiCaprio nomination imo is a Joke. I didn't see Pain and Glory so I won't say whether Banderas should be there or not, but Pryce or DiCaprio shoulda been replaced with Taron

Banderas is absolutely wonderful in Pain and Glory; he really creates a singular character and I've never seen him so good. It's real "actor's work", although not on the showy side. My favourite perf this year (along with Phoenix in Joker, Pesci in Irishman, Jeremy Strong in Succession and Jodie Comer in Season 2 of Killing Eve). 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also cool to see that Saoirse Ronan is now up to 4 nominations at just 25 years old. That romantic drama with Kate Winslet sounds like it'll extend it to 5 next year.

Everyone thought that of Mary Queen of Scots early on too but it ended up being kind of a nothing film in a busy category year. So I won't make predictions this far out, but I can safely expect No. 5 (and hopefully an actual win) at some point soon.

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

Everyone thought that of Mary Queen of Scots early on too but it ended up being kind of a nothing film in a busy category year. So I won't make predictions this far out, but I can safely expect No. 5 (and hopefully an actual win) at some point soon.

She's good but she makes boring choices

35 minutes ago, Avatree said:

On which planet is it spelled ax? 

Mars?

Planet of the Apes?

Look it up. 

As for J-Lo,  I didn't think she was that great in Hustlers.  She was good and it's the best performance of her acting career but was it a great performance?  Eh, I don't think it's a snub, really. 

JOKER with another W. 11 noms all well deserved. Wow! DC fans eating good. Thank you Phoenix and Phillips for changing cinema! Of course the West is angry, but true film lovers know that this is the best news in Hollywood history.

Now onto 11 Oscars for DC. Keep hating you only feed this movie. Its truly unstopabble. First Venice. 1 billion. Then the globes. Now Oscars. Accolades speak for themselves. Undeniably one of the greatest films of our time.

• Like 2

I love this thread. Remeber when the media claimed that JOKER was toxic and would lead to mass shootings? Well the movie only led to memes and dancing. The only thing toxic about JOKER is the people who hate on the movie and, subsequently, are toxic towards the movie and its fans ("only incels like JOKER").

Ironic. This says a lot about our society.

Edited by The Chad DC
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

God I love Issa

I was loving the energy she was serving throughout the whole announcement (especially when you consider it was around 5:30 LA time). Hopefully The Photograph and The Lovebirds (ironically both trailers were shown back-to-back at my Just Mercy showing yesterday) are good.

20 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

God I love Issa

Can’t wait for this to happen again next year. Which will be hilarious when like the top 5 at the box office will be directed by women. 

• Haha 1