filmlover

92nd Academy Awards Nominations - The Official Thread | Joker leads the pack with 11 noms

21 hours ago, Webslinger said:

If true, those tweets about Parasite are plenty frustrating. Reading subtitles doesn't require an undue amount of cognitive effort anyway, but we're also talking about a movie that's shot, acted, and edited so clearly and precisely that you could hypothetically watch it without the subtitles (and without knowing the language) and still be able to figure out most of what's going on.

I don't get all the complaint to subtitle , isn't subtitle was shown at the same screen as the movie??? It is not like you are given the manual and have to read across the manual while watching the film.

Just watch it as part of the "visual effect". 

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Let's do some reckless prop betting instead of boring stuff like best pic.

Bets on Joaquin Phoenix getting censored during his speech, that's the stuff

Will the Oscars run longer than The Irishman (would've come really close last year at 3 hours and 23 minutes). Place your bets now.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:38 AM, Webslinger said:

If true, those tweets about Parasite are plenty frustrating. Reading subtitles doesn't require an undue amount of cognitive effort anyway, but we're also talking about a movie that's shot, acted, and edited so clearly and precisely that you could hypothetically watch it without the subtitles (and without knowing the language) and still be able to figure out most of what's going on.

Hell the central subplot of the film (Song Kang-ho's character's festering resentment at his employer) is done completely in silence, he never says a word about it until the climax, you just watch his silent acting and it does the explicitly stated synopsis of Joker better than that film in only a few lingering shots of his face.

really want to pick Parasite as a Spotlight/Moonlight-style consensus pick upset in Best Picture, but I think I’ll ultimately be a wimp and go with 1917. Even though Parasite seems like it could be on the verge of the biggest win and 1917 feels like other recent films that racked up impressive win totals without Picture, I just don’t think it’s wise to bet against it with how the precursors have lined up for it.

Final predictions: 

Picture: Jojo Rabbit

Director: Sam Mendes

Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Actress: Renee Zellweger

Supp. Actor: Brad Pitt

Supp. Actress: Laura Dern

Original Screenplay: Parasite

Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit

Animated: Toy Story 4

Foreign Film: Parasite

Cinematography: 1917

Editing: Parasite

Both Sounds: 1917

VFX: The Irishman

Costumes: Jojo Rabbit

Production Design: OUATIH

Makeup: Joker

Score: Joker

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Final predictions: 

Picture: Jojo Rabbit

Director: Sam Mendes

Actor: Joaquin Phoenix

Actress: Renee Zellweger

Supp. Actor: Brad Pitt

Supp. Actress: Laura Dern

Original Screenplay: Parasite

Adapted Screenplay: Jojo Rabbit

Animated: Toy Story 4

Foreign Film: Parasite

Cinematography: 1917

Editing: Parasite

Both Sounds: 1917

VFX: The Irishman

Costumes: Jojo Rabbit

Production Design: Jojo Rabbit

Makeup: Joker

Score: Joker

Didn't know you were such a big Jojo Rabbit guy

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Didn't know you were such a big Jojo Rabbit guy

Jojo is the 2nd worst BP nominee in the past decade but I'm thinking there will be a rivalry between Parasite and 1917 stans causing both films to not win. Parasite stans give Parasite no.1 ranking but give 1917 the lowest ranking and 1917 stans do the opposite.

Edited by lorddemaxus

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Jojo is the 2nd worst BP nominee in the past decade but I'm thinking there will be a rivalry between Parasite and 1917 stans causing both films to not win. Parasite stans give Parasite no.1 ranking but give 1917 the lowest ranking and 1917 stans do the opposite.

I think most Oscar voters are too geriatric to even know what a "stan" is

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the jojo rabbit predictions... that's the kind of thing where you're gonna look pretty smart if you're right but very dumb if you're wrong. good luck.

Yeah, my predictions are a bit risky actually. I'll change Jojo rabbit to OUATIH for production design then I guess.