Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

15 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Ross is in both, or at least he was when Ford was first announced. They reportedly made the two less connected so idk if he's still in both.

But God it's exhausting right now as a Marvel fan. Film Twitter critic types rooting for it to fail as payback for the Scorsese stuff, racist bigot idiots mad at women and "wokeness", press wanting clicks because after Scorsese and all those director interviews they realized there's clicks in getting people to say Marvel Bad, theres literally someone on tour with a book about Marvels "inevitable downfall", I can't think of any time any series has been under this much public scrutiny and outright hoping for a collapse. Star Wars maybe, but even then it's just the toxic racist morons and not like major trades. Hard to enjoy anything when everything's now a twenty page thread topic or massive publication about how it's a sign Marvel is dead forever every other day.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol even if I wasn't going to be out of town for family stuff around then I wouldn't come here. I wouldn't even if the reactions are positive.

That’s good, you really ought to disconnect from it all for a bit, it’s very obviously unhealthy for you.

Just go offline for a bit, that should help.

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(seriously, feel for you @Cap having been finally dragged in here after avoiding it so long :sadno: :hug::lol:)

I just want to watch my movie in peace.  It's exhausting, boys.  I get it.  There's blood in the waters, and everyone's in a frenzy.  And who doesn't love gossip?  Who doesn't love a good train wreck? And we all love watching the rich and powerful fail from grace.  (We also love watching people claw their way back, so that's why any talk of "Marvel is dead, just go kill it" feels premature.). This is fun.  Meltdowns are fun.

Until they're not.  And it's not fun being the one of the few to not say everything on their mind, at all times.  I have bunch of hot takes on your faves, but those are for me and me alone.  

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

51 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Teyonah Parris deserves a Oscar just for spitting out that dialogue explaining how she got her powers.

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Everything Ms Marvel related is going to be what saves this movie. Kamala’s mom easily stealing that scene even without hardly anything to do. 

For all the snark about them being Disney+ sidekicks, they're both likely going to act Formula 1 race tracks around Brie. I so wish Monica was the main Captain Marvel with Kamala as her plus one.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

By the way (excluding 2020) every year since 2015 has had a movie in December gross over $1 billion globally

This year will (brutally) end the streak

The more sad part of this is that a dismal holiday season is the most likely way the actors' strike finally ends. Hollywood won't budge unless their bottom lines start being hit hard.

30 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

theres literally someone on tour with a book about Marvels "inevitable downfall"

I get how that comes across in interviews but I think the causation is clearly reversed. If there was an inherent teleology to the book, it's clearly building towards a more triumphalist and optimistic stance towards the new generation of MCU heroes taking the lead after Endgame. It's just been in development long enough to be overtaken by events in a way that's written into the book.

The only "inevitable downfall" that's really predictable if you read the book ignorant of what came next was the problems with scalability. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

For all the snark about them being Disney+ sidekicks, they're both likely going to act Formula 1 race tracks around Brie. I so wish Monica was the main Captain Marvel with Kamala as her plus one.

Brie is simply miscast, I remain convinced. We’ll see if this changes that for me. Better material for her this time would at least help. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I get how that comes across in interviews but I think the causation is clearly reversed. If there was an inherent teleology to the book, it's clearly building towards a more triumphalist and optimistic stance towards the new generation of MCU heroes taking the lead after Endgame. It's just been in development long enough to be overtaken by events in a way that's written into the book.

The only "inevitable downfall" that's really predictable if you read the book ignorant of what came next was the problems with scalability. 

Right? Pretty much everything can climb only enough to fall right after 

Nothing stays at the highest position forever, MCU stay there way longer than every pretty much franchise can only dream about it, this is in the book.

It’s absurd to me to hear fans getting mad because people are pointing the obvious: the full cultural dominance is over. 

This is the natural order for everything, it happens, expecting the natural order to not affect your favorite franchise seems such an unhealthy way to like things imo. 

Even the complains about how hard is to be a MCU fan now just reads funny to me considering everything happening in the world.

And it’s not all bad to be in Marvel situation now, there’s a freedom that comes when you don’t have to stay always in the top position anymore. I do think some things about Eternals, MOM, WandaVision are among the most interest ideas and approachs MCU ever had, even if not all land. I like the idea of The Marvels in present itself more as a girl group, with clear focus on womanhood experiences, something that wasn’t possible in the first movie.

And i think this can be good going forward, try new things, with different budgets, different expectations. But you can’t do that and expect that everything will be a huge hit so the fans can brag about it, some things will work and some won’t.

• Like 3

Honestly, it just feels sad at this point. I get the feeling that this going to do what WW1984 did to Wonder Woman. In getting the character cancelled and written off.

Some interesting facts about the lead developers of "The Marvels"

The only thing memorable that the director has to her name is Candyman.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4804442/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr1

The other two writers have at most THREE previous writing credits to their name

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6876585/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr2

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6418980/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr3

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

250 pages and we don’t even have social media reactions out huh? I wonder how many pages this baby can add in the 24 hours following the reactions dropping and then again how many pages we’ll get out of the reviews.

Oh boy, when was the last time a thread was so active before anything was actually out? 

Well..

Abysmal tracking numbers that could leave this as one as one the biggest box office bombs of all time if WOM doesn't  pan out.

Numerous articles including from very high trades and even a book from an insider which are clearly stating issues with the current MCU phases. And yeah most of things in this articles are pointing out are shit some of us were complaining about in 2022 and getting the classic " naysayer,hater,your overreacting" response.

It all makes sense pretty much why this thread is attracting this much traffic.

This thread is pretty much tame and not toxic as some users want us to believe .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Honestly, it just feels sad at this point. I get the feeling that this going to do what WW1984 did to Wonder Woman. In getting the character cancelled and written off.

Some interesting facts about the lead developers of "The Marvels"

The only thing memorable that the director has to her name is Candyman.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4804442/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr1

The other two writers have at most THREE previous writing credits to their name

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6876585/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr2

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6418980/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr3

Yeah, but those credits include the two most successful Marvel shows. They seem pretty reasonable choices.

5 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Probably D'Esposito.

Alonso wasn't fired for Quantumania, she was fired for (per Disney) working on something outside her contract, or (per...everyone else) in response to the way VFX was being handled. Randomly just firing a co president would not make things easier 

5 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Brie is simply miscast, I remain convinced. We’ll see if this changes that for me. Better material for her this time would at least help. 

I think it's less of a miscasting problem and more that Carol Danvers isn't a particularly interesting character that have been pushed hard into the limelight without a solid foundation to work with. I mean, when you have to resort to use Dr. Minerva and the Ronan cosplayer as the antagonists of the duology, it's safe to admit you have a problem with the supporting cast of that character.

Just straight up crazy how different the momentum of the MCU was back when the first film released vs now. Back then, it was an unparalled success, it was at the center of cultural zeitgeist, hype was in uncharted territory, just weeks away from what would become the biggest film ever. A phenomeon like nothing the world had ever seen. The world welcomed Carol's debut to the sound of $455 million! A character most people had never heard about.

Cut to now, with Variety putting out a bullshit hit piece with half their claims debunked as clickbait nonsense, because any traction the MCU gets at this point is about how much of a mess it is behind the scenes and how it's being run into the ground. It's the perfect timing for the perfect negativity storm, as Marvel can't put into work their own hype machine properly. There's never been this much negative buzz on Marvel Studios as there's been these last couple of weeks, it's quite crazy. Loki is getting crazier and crazier and is straight up some of the best stuff they put out, but it's living under the dark cover of this enormous cloud.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2