Eric S'ennui

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I don't take anything from that because the general public largely has not seen this movie.

Letterboxd is international and it's out internationally. Going by the numbers, that lines up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

After reading some reactions from some reactor channels I know, I'm thinking this gets a Rotten Tomato. They're saying they wished they had taken the free alcohol option during their screenings. Shit, I wouldn't be surprised if this goes below Morbius at this point.

Wait…the free alcohol in that other post wasn’t a joke?

If this remains fresh ,it will be barely. As I see more reactions ,even most  the positive ones have asterisks like went in with "low expectations" and like it but  was "messy".

Can see Shazam 2 type reviews happening too. That movie wasn't bad either ,it was just mediocre with solid performances around and the atmosphere around DC didn't help things either. Marvels is sort of in the same situation.

Sure saw some reactions from Rt approved critics but seen nothing ,even cryptic from major publications or top critics. 

Will know in 6 hrs.

Morbius comp is just weird @BadOlCatSylvester being overly pessimistic as usual. 

To be honest these reactions are actually more positive overall than I recall the Captain Marvel ones being, which were a lot more muted.

Though of course there are times where the actual reviews have a very different take than the early reactions, but so far the consensus is a fun but kinda messy in some parts romp.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

were-waiting-angry.gif

I'm working. lol I'll post my thoughts later, but this will divide fans, I think. Very much. I enjoyed this more than QUANTUMANIA, though. So:

GOTG III

THE MARVELS

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Ok some actual critics that usually writes for big outlets

Thanks for posting these, feels like the type of movie I usually enjoy. I lol try to watch it this week

2 hours ago, DInky said:

Based on the social media reactions I think the most positive outcome would be an RT score in the 60s.

66 has been my guess for the past few days.

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Enjoyed this a lot, was shot well, great chemistry between the cast, really great humour. 

Kamala and Family were easily the MVPs! 

Gutted it isn’t going to do well Box Office wise, the showing I went to was only about 10% full which is crazy for an opening night showing, Free Guy at the same cinema/screen during COVID restrictions had a bigger crowd :( 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, happy to hear about her family, they’re awesome in the show!

Sucks about it flopping, but such is life 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Enjoyed this a lot, was shot well, great chemistry between the cast, really great humour. 

Kamala and Family were easily the MVPs! 

Gutted it isn’t going to do well Box Office wise, the showing I went to was only about 10% full which is crazy for an opening night showing, Free Guy at the same cinema/screen during COVID restrictions had a bigger crowd :( 

That right there is a problem. If a fuckin family is the best thing about a SH movie than wires crossed somewhere. It should be dynamic between SHs or SH and the villain not some side family or cats unless cats are the protagonists.

Anyway, main takeaway, reactions are standard bland passing grade gibberish (lots of fun, lots of heart, I went in with low expectations but was pleasently surprised, please stay for post credits cause they make the whole thing important, most hyperventilating character is the MVP, script problems and weak villain but charm did I tell you about charm). Nothing new. All the buzzwords that mean the movie's totally mid without saying it's totally mid. 

• Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That right there is a problem. If a fuckin family is the best thing about a SH movie than wires crossed somewhere. It should be dynamic between SHs or SH and the villain not some side family or cats unless cats are the protagonists.

Anyway, main takeaway, reactions are standard bland passing grade gibberish (lots of fun, lots of heart, I went in with low expectations but was pleasently surprised, please stay for post credits cause they make the whole thing important, most hyperventilating character is the MVP, script problems and weak villain but charm did I tell you about charm). Nothing new. All the buzzwords that mean the movie's totally mid without saying it's totally mid. 

I've noticed a similar situation, since the first review. So far, Kamala/Ms Marvel and her family seems to receive the best reaction.

Not Carol. And she is likely the main reason why most people are seeing this movie.

Not even the team-up between three superheroes seem to receive a lot of praise.

I mean nothing suggests it is boring. Am pretty sure its fast paced but not with much going on.

Social media reactions are just terrible to me. Remain unconvinced they drive anything towards the film. I guess this will be a good test but I think they are so generic and people have been burned reading into them before. I mean one guy is claiming he 'screamed' at the post credits. 

Am doubly cynical because a lot of these people are FUCKED when the MCU train stops rolling (not saying this happens today) so they are deeply motivated to give a positive impression and probably think their 'reactions' are bigger drivers than they are.

Guardians showed reviews and WoM are king. Am a massive cynic but I see my response to social media reactions reflected elsewhere.