Eric is Quiet

The Marvels | November 10, 2023 | Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter

Kamala is all I care about here. Considering I’d easily call Carol the worst notable protagonist in the MCU so far, I’m looking to Kamala to save this movie. Ms Marvel was one of the only post EG MCU highlights. Though I would much rather she just have her own movie, but that looks like a pipe dream for now sadly with the complete lack of popularity for the show. 

Edited by MovieMan89

The only country with comparable streaming and broadcast numbers as far as I know is the U.K. - with BARB reporting since December both. Below are the only streaming shows to break into the top 50.

Glass Onion (Netflix)

Bank of Dave (Netflix)

Clarkson’s Farms (Amazon)

Luther (Netflix)

We’ll get some numbers once Marvel items release next on D+ but clearly these are all films/shows that traditionally would do well in U.K. TV. Pretending D+ Marvel will magically be the biggest thing watched across the US is quite silly.

Barrier to entry into the top 50 is ~2.9m viewers. Mando did not make it. Unlike the ‘new media’ streaming stats BARB actually provide episodic viewing figures rather than the utterly useless to human kind ‘minutes watched’ stat.

Fair to conculde with the numbers we have that Ms Marvel would not have made it but we have Secret Invasion and Loki this year which will be the first tests of the MCU.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Which, once again, is still higher than most shows on broadcast TV. "Lowest MCU show" according to Parrot Analytics or whatever (which it isn't, What If is lowest) is not the same as "bomb".

Who the fuck would reference parrot, they don't even get actual viewership. I'm referencing Nielsen. Anything MCU will get a baseline of viewership that original shows don't get so that's not a good argument. Sure you can count What If but that's hardly MCU, it's not even live action, but go there if you want to I guess.

Edited by JustLurking

9 hours ago, John Marston said:

750-850m would be higher than what GOTG 3 is looking to make. This seems more like wishful thinking. 

GOTG: 773m

GOTG2: 864m

CM: 1.12bn

And bear in mind GOTG2 was released pretty much as heavily in the middle of Marvelmania as CM was.

I mean, it would seem pretty self-evident that the par for CM2 would be higher than for GOTG3. 

As ever, some seem to have just forgotten that James Gunn is not Stephen Spielberg, nor even Christopher Nolan, slapping his name on something has yet to be proved to mean anything - and quite the reverse if you look at Suicide Squad. The initial expectations that the world has been on tenderhooks waiting for GOTG3 was just daft. Creative side they're very good but finanicially...they were popular films in the MCU, nothing more. They weren't BP or Spidey.

I always though the idea that GOTG3 had any chance of being a billion dollar movie was insane.

3 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

GOTG: 773m

GOTG2: 864m

CM: 1.12bn

And bear in mind GOTG2 was released pretty much as heavily in the middle of Marvelmania as CM was.

I mean, it would seem pretty self-evident that the par for CM2 would be higher than for GOTG3. 

As ever, some seem to have just forgotten that James Gunn is not Stephen Spielberg, nor even Christopher Nolan, slapping his name on something has yet to be proved to mean anything - and quite the reverse if you look at Suicide Squad. The initial expectations that the world has been on tenderhooks waiting for GOTG3 was just daft. Creative side they're very good but finanicially...they were popular films in the MCU, nothing more. They weren't BP or Spidey.

I always though the idea that GOTG3 had any chance of being a billion dollar movie was insane.

If GotG 3 follow AEG more closely and China was still a thing for MCU movies, I think 1B would've happened somewhat comfortably. Their popularity had spiked post AIW and AEG.

Since though, time has passed, MCU has had a handful of films that missed with audiences and they only appeared very briefly in Thor 4 which wasn't all that well received and tarnished the GotG brand a bit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poweranimals said:

They should really just release the trailer with Guardians 3 but whatever.

This certainly will be an attachment with Guardians 3 if they're releasing the teaser now. Expect quite a few big trailer premieres over the next few weeks between CinemaCon and Guardians being the next piece of prime trailer real estate.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it looks cute. i didn't watch ms marvel so i dunno that i fully get what's going on but i'm not mad at the vibe here.

I watched Captai Marvel and loved it, but this trailer Brie has the least lines?

Edited by Maggie

This was a surprise. It looks much better than I expected and I am actually pretty excited for this now, looks like a lot of fun. The colors look so vivid and fun compared to recent blockbusters. 

I thought Captain Marvel and Ms Marvel were just fine but the characters had huge potential, seems like this will be better. I still have doubts in its box office prospects but I can see this being a decent hit if it movie delivers like the trailer. 

• Like 2