filmlover

Mean Girls | 1/12/24 | Paramount | based on the Broadway musical based on the movie | Tina Fey to write/produce | moving from streaming to theatrical

23 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

With The Color Purple's unfortunate failure, does this bode poorly for Mean Girls or does this have a lot more going for it?

Mean Girls is at least more “current” and mainstream than TCP, so maybe that helps.

It does look lame though.

• Like 1

The lack of buzz surrounding the quality of this + the fact it was once set for streaming probably means it's of "not great" variety but sales for both Friday and Saturday evening actually look pretty good near me so it appears that it won't be nearly as much of a one day wonder like The Color Purple ended up being. Staying power from there will depend on WOM in addition to how frontloaded it ends up being.

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why would it? The movies don't appear remotely similar.

Both are movie musicals based on Broadway shows based on non-musical films based on books. Obviously they're very different stories but there's skepticism about the movie musical version though for dissimilar reasons. The last few Broadway musical adaptations haven't been box office successes ultimately (TCP, Dear Evan Hansen, West Side Story, In the Heights, Cats). The question is if Mean Girls will go the same way.

• Like 1

I love the original, this doesn't interest me, especially because I've listened to the Broadway songs and for me there's nothing particularly catchy. I don't know if being a musical will hurt it but I like that Paramount decided to move it to theatres after Barbie. There IS a market for content aimed primarily at young women on the big screen and not just streaming. 

Anyone know when the reviews come out? I feel like it should be really soon.

I hope the reviews are good. I love Mean Girls but considering they didn't really start revealing the musical part till like less then a week ago, doesn't give me hope that this is more then just a cash grab. 

36 minutes ago, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Anyone know when the reviews come out? I feel like it should be really soon.

I hope the reviews are good. I love Mean Girls but considering they didn't really start revealing the musical part till like less then a week ago, doesn't give me hope that this is more then just a cash grab. 

Think it's tomorrow 6am pt / 9am et