Eric Lasagna

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

32 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Basically because Oscars are Hollywood's award. Just keep it like that.

When you give Oscars to a foreign film, you are signifying that this film is better than all films in the world. Now that could be true but problem is you are just awarding a one hyped foreign film while there are 10s of Foreign films every year better than Nominated/Winner Hollywood films.

I don't think any of nominated film was better than Super Deluxe (Indian film) this year. There will be other Foreign language films as well.

This is a garbage take. There are also a lot of better Hollywood films than the ones nominated that don't get nominated. I guess Green Book winning told the world that the Green Book is the best Hollywood film of 2018. By your logic, the Oscars shouldn't even exist.

Super Deluxe was also a poor man's Magnolia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If the Academy members saw Parasite and deemed it the best film they saw for 2019 then why should they not vote for it just cause it isn't American? Ultimately it's more a case of access of these international films. Gonna be hard for a US based organisation to see films especially if they don't have screeners or a release in the US.

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Indian films release in US.

Yes, and so what is your point then? Perhaps I have misunderstood. It sounded to me like you were saying that no foreign language films should be nominated or win in any category outside of the International Feature Film category. This to me seems deeply problematic, for several reasons.

If on the other hand you are simply disappointed that Indian films released in the US are not being recognized by the Academy, fair enough. I think a lot of people in most years feel the Academy ignores a lot of the best films of the year, anyway.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The reviews for the telecast are looking poor across the board.

Yeah, expect low ratings. Also expect them to try and go back to a host next year (good luck finding someone who will be willing to do it).

Yeah, I'm expecting them to get a host next year. The hostless Oscars thing was so much worse this year compared to last year. I'd honestly take Jimmy Kimmel's shtick over any of the bits from today (the Rock+Martin, the Wiig+Rudolph, and the Larson+Weaver+Gadot ones were the worst).

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Knock It Off 1

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This is a garbage take.

No it is not. Why else we do need awards and it doesn't matter what you think or what it is even. The public and GA sentiment is that Best Picture winner is actually Best Picture as per Oscars.

Ffs it's in the name. 

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Knock It Off 3

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

No it is not. Why else we do need awards and it doesn't matter what you think or what it is even. The public and GA sentiment is that Best Picture winner is actually Best Picture as per Oscars.

Ffs it's in the name. 

So why are you fine with Green Book winning Best Picture but have a problem with Parasite winning Best Picture? There are so many Hollywood films better than Green Book just like there are, as you say, so many films around the world that are better than Parasite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

So why are you fine with Green Book winning Best Picture but have a problem with Parasite winning Best Picture?

That's Hollywood film. Give it to anyone Idc. Give it to Cats FWIW.

But when you are selectively including a foreign film, that's not right. Either make it a worldwide award or just keep it to Hollywood that's what I say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

But when you are selectively including a foreign film, that's not right. Either make it a worldwide award or just keep it to Hollywood that's what I say.

But, they aren't just selectively including them. The Parasite team and Neon campaigned the film like hell and the movie was loved by millions around the world. If Parasite didn't win the Palme d'Or, if it didn't sell out TIFF and Telluride screenings, if it didn't get the amount of audience and industry love it got, it wouldn't have even been nominated. No one outside of India even knows what Super Deluxe is. 

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

What does this even mean? You know that a number of even English language movies nominated in recent years were made outside the Hollywood system, right? Hell, they even tried to introduce that bullshit "Popular Oscar" category a year and a half ago only because "Hollywood" movies weren't getting recognized for the most part.

• Like 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Mendes probably crying rn that his one shot gimmick didn't work.

On the other hand, another Deakins Oscar (making it two in a row for him). :wub: I'll take him winning an Oscar every couple of years to make up for the fact they didn't reward him much sooner.

I'm wondering if the next Bong film could also be a big Oscar contender too, especially considering that it's supposedly a horror film (which don't do well in the Oscars). I doubt it's going to get the love Parasite did but I do think another one of his films will get a BP nom.

Edited by lorddemaxus

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, I'm expecting them to get a host next year. The hostless Oscars thing was so much worse this year compared to last year. I'd honestly take Jimmy Kimmel's shtick over any of the bits from today (the Rock+Martin, the Wiig+Rudolph, and the Larson+Weaver+Gadot ones were the worst).

Larson+Gadot moment was awesome. Period.