Eric Loves Rey

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

48 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Dang, you right again.

Was it the first year that it was easily easily streamed for free and not free (it was on youtube and so on) online ?

Wonder if those figure include those, but if it is like the superbowl would not surprise me if they would be quite small.....

Edited by Barnack

46 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw a figure in an article that Netflix spent over $100 million on awards campaigning this year. and well... I hope they're satisfied with that laura dern win!

They also won Best Documentary Feature, and scored 24 nominations (handily the most of any studio), from this campaigning. It was a good year for them, even if definitely weak on the wins relative to number of nominations.

Not that long ago (from 2014 to 2017), Netflix's nominations and wins were confined to the Best Documentary Feature and Best Documentary Short Subject categories. It has really exploded in the last couple years, with a ton of major nominations, and now has some major category wins under its belt (Director & International Feature Film last year, Supporting Actress this year).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they hoped for more this year - so point well taken. But this year is also history making for Netflix - no other streaming service is doing what it's doing right now. Will be interesting to see if it can have another break out year in the near future with a film that nabs multiple major wins, including Best Picture. 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean Oscars aside, everything from the NBA to the State of the Union ratings are dropping.  More and more people are simply cord cutting.

Also, the Met Gala has really stolen the fashionistas and has become the premier red carpet of the year.  I don't care about fashion so it doesn't really affect my viewership, but the Oscar red carpet has taken a serious back seat to that event.

Lastly though I think it's the politics.  Progressives don't like the Oscars because it's not diverse enough (although I also suspect they will never appease Twitter and no matter how much they try they will always find a problem), conservatives don't like the Oscars because it's too liberal, and the rest of the world doesn't like it because they don't like to be scolded by super rich people no matter the political themes.  

If an actor wants to make a statement these days, there are ways to get real skin in the game.  Refuse to work with any director who isn't a POC or a woman, donate 90% of their paycheck *including* their backends to a preferred charity, refuse to wear any jewelry unless it's certified conflict free even if it's vintage, fly coach to their press tour instead of a private jet.  (I'm only doing progressive stances since 98% of Hollywood is progressive).  If anybody, even one actor, did one of the above *and stuck to it* people might treat them as a non-hypocrite and it would make 1000x more of an impact and statement than ranting when you've won an Oscar, because they've actually made a sacrifice.  But of course nobody would ever do that.  They'll fly private to the Oscars, work with the same old white male directors over up and comers to stay in big projects, keep all the money for themselves, and wear fur and conflict diamonds from huge designers, and then lecture average people about making sacrifices with their money and flights.  It's just such a bad look for fans of both political persuasions and I don't know why nobody understands it (or at least the PR people don't understand it).

EDITED: This is why Brad Pitt is a favorite of mine.  Slight political joke last night aside, he works hard behind the scenes with Plan B and is a huge reason, if not the *sole* reason, why a lot of recent films and limited series featuring POC got made.  12 Years a Slave, Selma, Moonlight, Beale Street, Last Black Man in San Francisco, Americanah, The Underground Railroad, etc, Plan B was a part of all of that.  He uses his influence for others to get a voice to tell their stories, and he *never* calls attention to it, instead letting the creators do the talking.  You can agree or disagree with his politics, but he's actually doing work and using privilege to give opportunities and doesn't take any of the credit, vs. all the "for show" posturing everybody else does.  

Edited by murphydog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

TV is oldfashioned entertainment. people are turning to streaming and catching up on social media via clips and gifs rather than sitting through notoriously dull shows. times has changed but many TV show format didn't and they are now paying the price. 

@murphydog

the rest of the world doesn't like it because they don't like to be scolded by super rich people no matter the political themes. 

Amen. Also good call on Brad Pitt. Class act. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

saw a figure in an article that Netflix spent over $100 million on awards campaigning this year. and well... I hope they're satisfied with that laura dern win!

@Blankments made a good point about this yesterday. It's very hard to make Netflix movies get a second wind in terms of awards momentum. Unlike Parasite or Joker or Jojo Rabbit which can keep expanding theaters throughout awards season, Netflix movies are stuck on Netflix. Building momentum becomes very difficult as they have to do it through external means like hosting SNL and the like. Which means it's easier for those movies to just drop off the radar and become "I'll get to it eventually" status.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@Blankments made a good point about this yesterday. It's very hard to make Netflix movies get a second wind in terms of awards momentum. Unlike Parasite or Joker or Jojo Rabbit which can keep expanding theaters throughout awards season, Netflix movies are stuck on Netflix. Building momentum becomes very difficult as they have to do it through external means like hosting SNL and the like. Which means it's easier for those movies to just drop off the radar and become "I'll get to it eventually" status.

That’s true. Both marriage story and Irishman peaked in hype the week they dropped on Netflix and it felt like people stopped talking about them after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

That’s true. Both marriage story and Irishman peaked in hype the week they dropped on Netflix and it felt like people stopped talking about them after that.

this, absolutely this. boxoffice is still a big thing that keeps movies in conversation. streaming not so much  for it seems it's better suited for series buzz than movie buzz at least atm. Also, industry probably doesn't quite trust viewing reports that streaming company issues as opposed to something that could be checked (boxoffice). 

I do think Netflix's methods of releasing their movies on streaming ASAP after just a few weeks in select non-chain theaters isn't helping them. While something like Roma was never gonna be a big player in theaters (Room/Call Me by Your Name-esque numbers were probably the most it would've made even with near-frontrunner status), The Irishman and Marriage Story could've easily pulled $40-50M totals had they gone with traditional releases.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do think Netflix's methods of releasing their movies on streaming ASAP after just a few weeks in select non-chain theaters isn't helping them. While something like Roma was never gonna be a big player in theaters (Room/Call Me by Your Name-esque numbers were probably the most it would've made even with near-frontrunner status), The Irishman and Marriage Story could've easily pulled $40-50M totals had they gone with traditional releases.

I can definitely see Marriage Story doing pretty well domestically with long legs. Irishman's length would have to be drastically shortened to get a long run in theaters though.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

very good point!

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:59 AM, Alli said:

i was so surprised Scarlett didn't win anything this season. She was the best and i wasn't a fan before

Not surprised. I think being nominated for both actress and supporting actress probably split the votes for her.

I always thought Zellwenger was a heavy favorite for this.

Edited by dudalb

Yeah but Netflix has a different battle to win.  It's not about getting additional views for Marriage Story or The Irishman.  They are trying to position themselves as a place where directors can bring their most prestigious pictures.  Regardless of lack of wins, to spend that money to get two prestige films all over the ballot was a good move.  Two years ago they weren't in the conversation for these films, last year Roma was viewed as a one off, now the beacon is lit and any director who wants to make an awards worthy film, *especially* with a big budget and/or difficult concept that might send traditional studios running...I mean, they're at least taking a meeting with Netflix and listening to what they have to say.  That's a tremendous change in just two years where Netflix was producing strictly B-movies.  The money was well spent.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, murphydog said:

They are trying to position themselves as a place where directors can bring their most prestigious pictures. 

If it was about that, again skipping theatrical is probably not helping either.

I think the brand was built originally a lot over removing all artificial reason why you cannot watch something in the most practical and easiest way possible (they working hard on removing regional barrier on their content for that reason as well) being position has a you choose to pay a little bit rather than piracy just because of how cheap and convenient it is.

And they want to keep that part of that branding well alive, saying to paying customer you have to wait for a movie ready to see because of other windows like traditional affair and go download screeners instead goes against that branding.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

I'm still not sure how last night's hostless ceremony turned out so lame with the same creative team involved when they were able to pull off a hostless telecast last year in the wake of the whole Hart mess that forced them to go without a host. One would hope that the low ratings would tell them something but I fear they'll just double down on the "more more MORE!" theme of last night, especially after a foreign language movie just took home the big prize.

The presentation order this year didn't do the show any favours. Handing Brad Pitt his Oscar, followed by Animated Feature and then the Screenplay awards so early in the show meant that there was very little momentum to carry the rest of the show. It felt like everyone was waiting for the Director award to give us an idea of the Best Picture winner. Compare that to last year when they saved the Screenplay and Animated winners for later in the show, and also had the Cooper/Gaga trump card to play which enticed younger viewers. 

https://www.thewrap.com/mtv-movie-and-tv-awards-ratings-2019-sink-46-percent/

MTV Movie and TV Awards Ratings Drop 46% From Last Year

The return of “Game of Thrones” and addition of “Avengers: Endgame” to its categories did not help the 2019 MTV Movie & TV Awards in the ratings department Monday, as the Zachary Levi-hosted show fell 46% from last year’s simulcast among young adults. 

Despite EG MTV film award win, the rating keep dropping, clearly it is an industry issue. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

One of the reason how parasite momentum keep building was its impressive box office run.

Netflix movie will never have that advantage. Once your movie is up there at Netflix, you can watch it anytime. 

But when people tell you a movie is good, you should watch. A person is forced to go theater check it out before it lost the screentime.  

8 hours ago, grim22 said:

Interesting stat

dIhNp3N.jpg

Should have been Zero Oscars, as it has definitely won awards elsewhere.

I mean you can see even there other than Titanic it's been dropping in recent decades in general, as high grossing moved to blockbuster, and blockbuster moved further away from award darling. It was going to happen.

• Like 1