Eric Loves Rey

92nd Academy Awards Discussion Thread | PARASITE WINS BITCHESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS #BONGHIVE

23 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

YouTubers who have either comic books or Funko pops behind them possess the worst kind of energy

I’m more concerned and creeped out by what looks to be a life-sized model of Wonder Woman in the back.

• Haha 2

For those who don't understand all the Joker love at Oscar, even EG director, the supposed ”enemy" lover Joker. 

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2489867/why-marvel-avengers-endgame-director-is-ecstatic-about-dc-joker-oscar-nominations

Why Avengers: Endgame's Director Is 'Ecstatic' About Joker's Oscar Nominations

I just saw it recently. Unfortunately I was shooting almost the entire time the movie was out. I loved it. I thought it was a beautiful piece of filmmaking. It was a very tragic, very modern story and really representative of existential isolation and the crisis a lot of people are feeling. The moment in it when he's on the talk show, where it's the idea of everyone in the world right now grabbing their megaphones and trying to shout each other down, and he's reacting against that. It's certainly a dark movie and a disturbing movie with a very important message to it. We're ecstatic that it's being recognized. It broke through the stigma that seems to be against these films, certainly at the Academy.

Edited by titanic2187
    • Like 3
    • Knock It Off 2

I liked that Phoenix won because it was one of the best performances of the year.

I dont think the  genre of the film  should negate or elevate your chances of winning.

I notice in the past a lot of rather average performances won best oscar for simply playing a historical characters. 

So it was nice to see that the audience, critical and oscar choice lined up this year :)

• Like 1
    • Knock It Off 1

21 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think the ratings are going down again despite big movies getting nominated this year. because everything's dropping in ratings these days and last year there was a curiosity to how they were gonna do it without a host.

Dang, you right again.

• Like 1
    • Sad 2

Happiest I've been with the bulk of the wins in a long time.  Very very very happy for Bong/Parasite, Taika/JoJo, Hildur, Joaquin, Elton, etc etc etc.

The ceremony itself was cringe-tastic and doubled down on everything the general public has hated about the Oscars recently.  Ratings will probably be very low.  The GP wants the Oscars to take themselves less seriously (Tom Hanks speech about a museum??!?) and to stop feeling scolded and berated all throughout the show.  But they can't help themselves.

Re: people in here upset that a foreign film won, either because they didn't want a foreign film or because they think other foreign films were more deserving, your faves can follow the tried and true formula if they want.  Step 1) Premiere at TIFF/Venice or if feeling really confident buzz will last awhile premiere at Cannes.  Step 2) Try to get buzz there.  Step 3) Roll it out smartly.  Step 4) Spend shitload of $$$$$ promoting it, especially to get multiple nominations in other categories if you want to get BP.  Step 5) Get those screeners out early.  Oh yeah and it's helpful, but not necessary, if the film is good.  If the film, domestic or foreign, doesn't do the above, the chances go way down regardless of quality.  Lupita should have been nominated, sure, but was never going to happen with a March release date, and Universal clearly spent their promo money on 1917 (plus the whole horror thing).

Despite my cynicism above, I do feel like for the most part, the best won this year.  Which is rare.

Edited by murphydog

I'm still not sure how last night's hostless ceremony turned out so lame with the same creative team involved when they were able to pull off a hostless telecast last year in the wake of the whole Hart mess that forced them to go without a host. One would hope that the low ratings would tell them something but I fear they'll just double down on the "more more MORE!" theme of last night, especially after a foreign language movie just took home the big prize.

28 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Dang, you right again.

😂😂😂

Last year the major thing was Black Panther. 

While Parasite is undoubtedly big, most of the GA cared about Black Panther. 

Black Panther is the important part of history as of now. 

Shuri and Okoye have become a very important part of pop culture. 

It was obvious no movie this year had such a big hook. 

#BlackPantherSoLit

Que surprise that ratings were the lowest ever. Opening was dreadful and then it started to drag til WTF Eminem and then drag all the way to last 17 min when Director upset happened. The only moment when one could wake up from slumber. 

Edited by Valonqar