TMP

Creed III | March 3, 2023 | MBJ will direct

Zach Baylin, the scripter behind the upcoming Will Smith movie King Richard, has been tapped to pen the third installment of the boxing franchise for MGM.

The movie will continue the story of Adonis Creed, played by Michael B. Jordan, but exact plot details are not yet known. A director has yet to be confirmed for the movie.

It is unclear when Creed 3 will head into production, as Jordan has a packed upcoming shooting schedule. He film the yet-to-be-titled David O. Russell movie before heading into production on the Denzel Washington-directed Sony drama A Journal for Jordan.

8 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Creed II was just too basic. Can't say I'm interested in this unless they get Coogler back, which is unlikely. Or unless he goes to Russia and wins the current cold war after growing a beard and running up and down mountains

Pitbull remix of Hearts on Fire plz

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

On 2/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Creed II was just too basic. Can't say I'm interested in this unless they get Coogler back, which is unlikely. Or unless he goes to Russia and wins the current cold war after growing a beard and running up and down mountains

Ya know, you might be on to something here.

• Haha 1

Honestly I think the only creatively interesting way they could take this is making it a definitive finale (until Creed gets someone to train 20 years down the line) and you have Adonis being at peace with giving up the title to a better fighter and maybe even retiring. 

But it's one of those things that would be so unsatisfying for a general audience (Not seeing your protagonist win at the end) that I don't see a studio biting. 

Long rumored, but now confirmed...

Something disagreeable enough must have gone down on Creed II that they aren't talking about.  I think it has to do with how Stallone somehow wrestled the movie away and turned it into more of a Rocky follow-up than a Creed entry...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sylvester-stallone-will-not-appear-in-creed-iii

Edited by Macleod

7 hours ago, Macleod said:

Something disagreeable enough must have gone down on Creed II that they aren't talking about.  I think it has to do with how Stallone somehow wrestled the movie away and turned it into more of a Rocky follow-up than a Creed entry...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sylvester-stallone-will-not-appear-in-creed-iii

Stallone announced he was leaving before Creed II even released. The ending of that film is definitely a goodbye to the Rocky character. 

The Instagram post itself is a video of Stallone on the Creed II set, delivering a speech to the cast and crew. “This is probably my last rodeo,” he says in the clip, reminiscing about the way the Rocky franchise has carried on over the years. “I thought Rocky was over in 2006, and I was very happy with that,” he says. But then Creed came along and re-lit the torch, taking the series in a new direction. “My story has been told,” Stallone continues. “There’s a whole new world that’s gonna be opening up,” thanks to director Steven Caple Jr. picking up where Ryan Coogler left off, and Creed star Michael B. Jordan. “Now you have to carry the mantle,” he tells Jordan, who comes over and embraces Stallone.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/sylvester-stallone-creed-ii-last-rocky-movie

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

Stallone announced he was leaving before Creed II even released. The ending of that film is definitely a goodbye to the Rocky character. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/11/sylvester-stallone-creed-ii-last-rocky-movie

Yes, I know all this.  And it was odd at the time, too.  Any smart business person/investor would have wanted him back...unless something problematic happened, which clearly did during the making of Creed II.  

Stallone was talking up a solo ROCKY sequel in the past couple of years, has now revealed he's writing/producing a ROCKY PREQUEL, and is finishing his "Director's Cut" of ROCKY IV...so he clearly doesn't want to give up the character... 

Edited by Macleod

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

5 years after the last movie and no Stallone, plus the stiff competition in March... This is going to get crushed.

Underdog situation for a formulaic underdog story franchise? It's fitting. 

I'm curious how MBJ does as director. 

• Like 1

But I’m told exclusively that Stallone pitched a new movie about Rocky running for mayor of Philadelphia, and MGM signed off on a $2 million fee for the screenplay. The deal, they say, never happened because Stallone backed off and didn’t take the money.

Stallone does not appear in “Creed III,” directed by Michael B. Jordan, which was just moved from Thanksgiving to March 2023. Sources say he was offered the chance to play Rocky in the film — this is the first “Rocky” oriented movie without Stallone since the franchise launched in 1976. They say it was Stallone’s choice not to be included.

Even more interesting: now I’m told that “Creed III” is not “locked” as they say in the business. The producers have left a space for Stallone to appear in the film. All he has to do is say the word. “They’ve begged him to do it,” says the insider.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/07/30/stallone-posts-another-attack-on-rocky-producers-but-sources-say-hes-been-offered-the-moon-and-turned-it-down-exclusive

• Like 3