Jake Gittes

BOT's Top 100 Films of the 2010s: The Countdown | List complete

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Commentary: A long time ago, they brought Star Wars back. A lot of people really liked it.

We were so naive back there. So filled with hope. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Number 32

Reveal hidden contents

TLJ over TFA. Yayy. :hahaha:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also kinda surprised with Fallout being so low. I mean it topped forum list in 2018. For year toppers, they should be higher in decade list too.

I will be a super honest. I didn’t put any of the mission impossible movie is on my list because I couldn’t remember which one was which. I just know that Tom Cruise did a crazy stunt and there was like a brunette that all looks the same

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

pretty obvious what the film you're referring to here is. But still, I didn't expect Extreme Job to make it so high up on the list.

according to LBD I've seen about 15 korean films or so and Extreme Job is the only one I didn't like, it had a cool premise but the ending felt like something out of a hollywood movie. 

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

I will be a super honest. I didn’t put any of the mission impossible movie is on my list because I couldn’t remember which one was which. I just know that Tom Cruise did a crazy stunt and there was like a brunette that all looks the same

I don't remember if it was on my list but the one with Henry Cavill was the most iconic!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

M:I films are overrated and I love them. Scripts are paper thin. It's always classified agents going public or some bomb to diffuse.

In the end, everyone just remember them by the stunt Tom did in them. Ghost Protocol is the one with Burj, Rogue Nation is one with plane and Fallout is one fighting superman with moustache and Paris chase.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Number 31

Spoiler

BBH5KZ1.jpg

"I can't beat it."
275 points, 20 lists

directed by Kenneth Lonergan | US | 2016

The Pitch: An emotionally crippled handyman returns to the town where he's lived through a personal tragedy to take care of his teenage nephew. 

Top 5 Placements: 2
Top 12 Placements: 2
Metacritic: 96
Box Office: $79m WW
Awards: Academy Awards for Best Actor and Original Screenplay, out of 6 nominations
BOT History: #6, Top Movies of 2016; BOFFY for Best Actor, out of 5 nominations
Critic Opinion: "One of the things that is admirable about Kenneth Lonergan’s Manchester by the Sea – and there are many admirable things about this quietly moving drama – is the way its initial enigma seems to need no explanation; yet, once deciphered, the film does not falter but moves only deeper into the emotional territory it charts." - Kate Taylor, The Globe and Mail

"Opening a window into a wounded soul, it reminds us that beneath even the most brusque, hard-to-approach exterior often lies a human being bearing the scars of real, sometimes devastating human experiences." - Mike Scott, The Times-Picayune

"This is a particularly regional story of mourning and male bonding, and not just because Lonergan makes his gorgeous seaside setting—captured through precise details of language, culture, and punishing weather—as important as his native New York was to Margaret. Lee and Patrick, fiercely loyal Irish Catholics who refuse to wear their deep feelings on their sleeves, connect the film to a storied tradition of Massachusetts movies about guarded men connecting through their defense mechanisms. Their unsentimental sentimentalism keeps Manchester By The Sea in a near-constant state of heightened emotion, while helping it sidestep the obvious cathartic choice at every turn." - A.A. Dowd, The AV Club
BOT Sez: “This was really great. It's pretty much a perfect example of an emotional rollercoaster, but it never felt unrealistic. In fact, it was probably one of the most brutally real films I've ever watched. I was shocked at how funny it was; it probably made me laugh more than a lot of the comedies I saw in 2016. Casey Affleck delivers a mean punch alongside a truly incredible performance. The supporting cast is equally incredible, particularly Michelle Williams and Lucas Hedges. They are all very much worthy of their nominations. 

The scene that stuck with me the most is the scene in the police station, when Lee grabs the Police Officers gun. That was tough to watch, but it was excellent filmmaking.” - @aabattery

"So much subtlety in the writing, editing and directing... a movie so naturalistic  & quiet... Grief is hard... Artistic integrity and profundity." - @The Futurist

Commentary: After barely missing the top 100 on his first try, Kenneth Lonergan is back with a vengeance with the film that finally brought him truly wide recognition. A drama that showcased once again his ability to balance out the harrowing with the authentically funny, it won Casey Affleck a rare Oscar given for a legitimately subtle lead performance, and already serves as a window back to that short-lived period when Amazon Studios seemed willing to throw money at any auteur who needed it and commit to distributing the result theatrically. 

Manchester.jpg

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 16
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2