charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Week 4 (25 Apr - 01 May 2020)

Movies

1. Love Aaj Kal:  I never thought I will say that, but well done Karthik (don't like the actor otherwise, he is annoying). Imtiaz Ali does what he does best. Randeep owns the film. Throughout the film was imagining SRK playing Raj. I wish he had done the role. Would have said best of Imtiaz but I need to rewatch his stuff. 7/10.
  2. Happy Death Day: Groundhog Day but with a girl who gets murdered. Enjoyed it. 7/10.
  3. Happy Death Day 2 U: The biggest negative of this film was it gave a science mumbo jumbo to the events of the first filmwhich feels out of place. Still enjoyable. A lenient 5/10.
  4. The Lunchbox: Wanted to watch it for long time but never got the motivation, this week gave it. The best thing about film is performances which sells the story, however, we are introduced to Ila as a woman trying to impress her husband but the tifin gets mis-delivered and she is expressly disappointed. What the character would do, the next day itself she will be righting that mistake not send some note or something. A lenient 7/10.
  5. Bad Education: Good. 6/10.
  6. Thappad: The film isn't story of just Tapsee's character, it tries to be story of different women in different classes of society and tells their story well. It isn't about slap, it is about how women are expected for certain behaviour. Must watch. 8/10.
  • Like 1

Hollywood was unevenly good. wasn't sure what to make of the first ep but it picks up quick in the 2nd one, my fav bits was where they were getting the picture made so basically everything in the middle (episodes 3 & 4 were the strongest). highlights was the guy who plays jack & archie and Jim Parson ofcourse! 

for some reason I couldn't take the finale seriously but I guess that's Ryan Murphy's thing and the whole thing has a very cheesy vibe around it which makes it entertaining , I love Oscars btw

Edited by RealLyre
word

I keep intending to watch the It’s but it has happened yet. I want to watch part 1 and 2 back to back but it gets later in day and the task becomes too daunting. 

• Like 1

this week

Movies:

Lorenzo's Oil (1992) - 6/10

Yi Yi (2000) - 10/10

Contagion (2011) - 7/10

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) - 6/10

The Dark Crystal (1982) - 3/10

Babe (1995) - 8/10

To Live (1994) - 8/10

TV:

Mandalorian season finale: It ruled. I had been a bit on the fence with some of it but thought it all came together pretty nicely here.

Normal People: 7 episodes into this I like it OK. the two leads have great chemistry but it's weirdly dour and self-serious for a show that ticks off every teen romance cliche in the book. it's literally about a shy awkward weird girl who's actually hot and a jock who's secretly super sensitive and wants to be a writer. and the whole thing is directed with the severity of the handmaid's tale or something.

• Like 2

6 episodes into Season 2 of Westworld.  Really enjoying Meave and William’s stories.  Bernard and Dolores’ stories starting to feel kind of shaky and WTF is going on, hopefully they course correct soon.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Panda said:

6 episodes into Season 2 of Westworld.  Really enjoying Meave and William’s stories.  Bernard and Dolores’ stories starting to feel kind of shaky and WTF is going on, hopefully they course correct soon.

I wouldn't keep my expectations so high.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, The Panda said:

:hahaha:

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Movies:

Marie Antoinette - 8/10

Back to the Future - 9/10 (re-watch)

Back to the Future 2 - 9/10 (re-watch)

Bad Education - 7/10

Sinister - 6/10

Insidious - 6/10

Miami Vice - 9/10

Love and Death - 8/10

Ouija The Origin of Evil: 8/10

Pan's Labyrinth - 8/10

The Conjuring - 7/10

The Conjuring 2 - 8/10 (re-watch)

Schindler's List - 10/10

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift - 6/10

The Passion of Joan of Arc - 7/10

Malcolm X - 8/10

Throne of Blood - 9/10

Nixon - 8/10 (borderline 9/10)

Tv shows:

Hollywood Episode 1-5: fun show but it starts to get more generic each episode. Not as weird and silly as I thought it would get.

Westworld S3 Episode 7 - incoherent garbage

Mrs America Episode 5 - Really beautiful episode that talks about marriage and sexuality. 

Run Episode 3 - Not much to say tbh. Had fun watching it.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 3

Just finished Hollywood. Definitely has some good stuff (Jim Parsons is clearly relishing the opportunity to play a bad guy part and Samara Weaving is a certified Goddess) and the production values are of course great but for the most part...nope. They had good intentions but they clearly struggled to create a compelling program around them that results in the whole thing having its cake and eating it too, and Rock Hudson would've cringed at this attempt at giving him a happy Hollywood ending if he were alive to see it.

Might've helped if they had gotten stronger actors for some of the "rising star" roles, as they're easily outclassed by the veterans. David Corenswet in particular has little charisma which is a problem because a large portion is devoted to him and his family/financial troubles, someone like Finn Wittrock would've done much more with the part. Also that fake controversial Oscar bait movie Darren Criss makes is fucking terrible from what we see of it. It all makes the whole alternate universe hard to get into.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

Hollywood Episode 1-5: fun show but it starts to get more generic each episode. Not as weird and silly as I thought it would get.

You’ve already seen the best of the series, episodes 2-4 were the strongest imo, the ending was still hilarious though.

overall it’s a good cheesy series but I don’t think it’s Emmy worthy. Netflix have other much stronger limited series that they should campaign harder for like Unbelievable from last year,  I highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it. It’s starring the girl from Booksmart and Toni Collette.   

and we’ll see how good the eddy is this Friday!

Edited by RealLyre

I will say that one of the usual (and sometimes only) delights that come from Ryan Murphy's shows is the completely unexpected guest stars that appear and he certainly continued the tradition here. Pippin Took as Noel Coward? :lol: And I'm just going to assume Phantom Thread was one of his favorite movies of 2017 because the actress who played the passed out socialite shows up as Eleanor Roosevelt. He's got good taste for other people's projects, at least!

Edited by filmlover

26 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

You’ve already seen the best of the series, episodes 2-4 were the strongest imo, the ending was still hilarious though.

overall it’s a good cheesy series but I don’t think it’s Emmy worthy. Netflix have other much stronger limited series that they should campaign harder for like Unbelievable from last year,  I highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it. It’s starring the girl from Booksmart and Toni Collette.   

and we’ll see how good the eddy is this Friday!

Unbelievable was fantastic. First piece of content I've seen in a while that was genuinely tough to watch at points, but just an incredible show. Still feel like it'll be hard to get a lot of nominations; Limited Series feels like it'll be Watchmen vs. Mrs. America for the most part

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Unbelievable was fantastic. First piece of content I've seen in a while that was genuinely tough to watch at points, but just an incredible show. Still feel like it'll be hard to get a lot of nominations; Limited Series feels like it'll be Watchmen vs. Mrs. America for the most part

what about defending Jacob? (haven't seen it yet but heard good things about it) or the new mark ruffalo hbo show that's coming next week

I haven't got to Watchmen yet cus I haven't seen the Snyder movie and I heard it's sort of a sequel to that so it's been sitting on my watchlist for a while.

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

Mrs. America hasn't released all its episodes yet but I wouldn't rule out Collette winning Supporting Actress since it seems like most of the Mrs. America ladies are gonna take up most of the category like most of the Normal Heart guys did in Supporting Actor that year and cancel each other out, allowing someone else to take the award. Limited Series will be Watchmen vs. Mrs. America with the other nominees being Unbelievable, Little Fire Everywhere, and Hollywood (which will probably get in just for being a Murphy show that had a ton of buzz pre-release even if it's a bit floppy) unless I Know This Much Is True's buzz picks up since Ruffalo's double roles and being on a great run are likely to push him to frontrunner status.

Edited by filmlover

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

what about defending Jacob? (haven't seen it yet but heard good things about it) or the new mark ruffalo hbo show that's coming next week

I haven't got to Watchmen yet cus I haven't seen the Snyder movie and I heard it's sort of a sequel to that so it's been sitting on my watchlist for a while.

I've heard... less than positive things about Jacob, haha. The Ruffalo show sounds like an acting play, he'll probably win limited actor, but the reviews are pretty soft so far on Metacritic.

Also, Watchmen's... not a sequel to the Snyder film, not exactly. It's a sequel to the 12-issue comic book, which is an absolutely fantastic read if you haven't had the chance yet. The show stands on its own but I think it's better if you've read the book beforehand.

• Thanks 1