charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

Movies

Ponyo - 4/5 - Was holding off on this one cause I thought it looked stupid but I actually really enjoyed it so what do I know.

TV

As mentioned earlier, The Last Dance is good stuff. Looking forward to the next two episodes tomorrow.

What We Do in the Shadows coming in with the extended Ocean's 12 reference which is always welcome.

Finished Seven Worlds, One Planet with my man Attenborough. Really good stuff. My mum keeps getting annoyed at them for bummer endings with how everything is fucked and all that but it really do be like that so I appreciate the messaging.

Books

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf - 4.5/5 - Enjoyed this one a lot. Was only peripherally aware of the guy from some other books I read recently but the deep dive into who he was and what he did was really interesting. He had a unique way of approaching the world around us and it's crazy how much his fresh perspectives influenced a lot of the way we generally consider the world today. Huge influence on guys like Charles Darwin and John Muir who went on to have their own huge impacts on the way we consider nature.

Why Evolution is True by Jerry A. Coyne - 3.5/5 - A little preachy but I appreciated how it got into the nitty gritty of the science of evolution. I think Your Inner Fish (which I read a couple of weeks ago) had a more interesting perspective on a lot of the science presented in here but overall they compliment each other quite nicely if you are interested in learning more about how life came to be and all that.

Currently reading Where the Wild Things Were: Life, Death, and Ecological Wreckage in a Land of Vanishing Predators by William Stolzenburg. Another interesting book! Also kind of a bummer but that's just the reality of most ecology related things these days.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, lorddemaxus said:

People should watch The Night Comes for Us (also a Netflix original) instead if they haven't already. It's a much better action film.

Having watched that just now I can safely say that whomever supplied the fake blood for that movie made a killing

• Like 1

Just watched Bad Education on HBO. Drags a bit at the start and some of the filmmaking choices don't work (could've done without a music score completely, for instance), but it's a wild story told well once it gets going. Cory Finley is clearly drawn to twisted tales between Thoroughbreds and now this. Also proves he knows how to assemble a good cast: this is one of Jackman's most nuanced performances (Janney is great as always but disappears for most of the second half), and really good work from the supporting players too (the actress who also played John Cena's daughter in Blockers has a promising future ahead of her).

I saw people comparing extraction to John Wick on twitter so my wife and I decided to watch it. Lol, Not even close. I’m usually pretty easy to please but this just wasn’t very good imo. I didn’t even think the action was that good tbh but people seem to be enjoying it, I’m not sure what didn’t click for me. 

Other stuff I’ve watched this week.

Bad boys for life - good

The Turning - terrible 

Underwater - meh

Mcmillions series - not bad

Better call Saul - great 

The plot against America - pretty good 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I saw people comparing extraction to John Wick on twitter so my wife and I decided to watch it. Lol, Not even close. I’m usually pretty easy to please but this just wasn’t very good imo. I didn’t even think the action was that good tbh but people seem to be enjoying it, I’m not sure what didn’t click for me. 

Action had its moments but more like The Raid than John Wick for me (I think they even stole some of the action set pieces lol). Overall was a solid 6/10 for me but don’t know if I could recommend it to anyone. 

• Like 1

I've continued focusing on watching films I haven't seen from celebrated directors, and this week revolved around Brian De Palma's movies. I pretty much enjoyed every one I caught up with, but what struck me when watching films like Dressed to Kill and Body Double was how sad it was that De Palma isn't even making efforts of that ilk anymore, nevermind the crime epics like Scarface. Both are so entertaining and extremely well-crafted but also resonant commentaries on the state of Hollywood at the time. Even something like Phantom of the Paradise holds up pretty nicely.

• Like 1

MV5BYmE2NDNlMDktOTA5YS00ZmYyLWE1ZjUtN2Qz

This became available here at 1 AM on HBO, exactly the same moment it started to air in America. This is the future of worldwide distribution, and the future is now.

Edited by CJohn
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

Movies:

Spirited Away - 10/10

True Romance - 8/10

Deja Vu - 10/10

Man on Fire - 9/10

Ingrid Goes West - 5/10

The Willoughbys - 5/10 ( Ricky Gervais ruined this movie)

Come and See - 8/10

All the President's Men - 9/10

Extraction - 4/10

Tv Shows:

Plot Against America finale - wasn't as powerful as I expected it to be. Wasn't a big fan of the ending too but I heard the book's ending is worse. Whole show gets a 7/10 but that's mostly because Zoe Kazan's acting in the last two episodes really impressed me.

Mrs America Episode 2-4: Really enjoying this show so far.

Run episode 1 and 2: The first two episodes are hilarious but also kind of tense. There's clearly some Before Sunrise/Sunset influence here but it's nowhere near as introspective.

Westworld season 3 episode 6: meh

Community S5: finished this season and it actually got better as it went along. Loved the hot lava episode.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TMP said:

Saw the new Huge, Jacked Man movie on HBO. Pretty, pretty, pretty good. Ending felt a bit too familiar to 

Reveal hidden contents

though. Jackman's great too.

Really? I completely disagree that the ending...

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

was anything like TWOWS. TWOWS's ending was clearly a meta-joke at the movie's audience. Just like the people in Belfort's presentation at the end, the movie was trying to point out we all want to live a luxurious life as he did throughout most of the movie. Bad Education's ending seemed to be more about how Frank was too caught up with his own goal to make the school #1.

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Really? I completely disagree that the ending...

Spoiler

Advanced issues found

Hide contents

was anything like TWOWS. TWOWS's ending was clearly a meta-joke at the movie's audience. Just like the people in Belfort's presentation at the end, the movie was trying to point out we all want to live a luxurious life as he did throughout most of the movie. Bad Education's ending seemed to be more about how Frank was too caught up with his own goal to make the school #1.

Should have rephrased. I meant that

Spoiler

when they all got busted, it reminded me a lot of the FBI raiding Stratton. The ending ending felt a lot closer to King of Comedy for me

• Like 1

Okay, finished The Boys.  Damn, DC...you need to hire the Amazon people if you wanna do funny and dark.  As an overall season, I'm gonna give it...an A+...I LOVED it.  It just built, and built, better and better...and got you more and more invested.  

No idea where Season 2 will go, but for a great dark comic arc, you can't beat it:).

• Like 2

Brooklyn Nine Nine Season 7.
i enjoyed it like a normally enjoy the show. I will say that the 6 episode “will they won’t they” be able to have a baby storyline was super weird. The actress is clearly 3-4 months pregnant from episode 1. 

Unorthodox Ep 1

This shit is fucking wild. I had no idea people were living like this in America. Very interested to see where it goes.

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Unorthodox Ep 1

This shit is fucking wild. I had no idea people were living like this in America. Very interested to see where it goes.

As a New Yorker it's always interesting to see outsiders' reactions to learning about this aspect of the state.

Movies

Howl's Moving Castle. might not be the best Miyazaki but still love it.

Memories of Murder. still a masterpiece

Eftyhia. Greek historical drama that became a huge hit this year. It was decent.

Burning. Watched it twice this week and I'm officially obsessed with this movie.

TV

Community season 4-6

The seasons I've never seen before despite being a huge fan of the show back in its glory days. It definately wasn't as bad as I feared. Even season 4 (that is pretty much a bust in many ways) has its moments, and after Harmon came back the show got a lot better. But still the constant cast reshuffling and dragging this for #sixseasonsandamovie makes it feel more like a decent spin-off than a continuation of a brilliant show. It's fine but I don't think I 'll ever need to watch it again aside from a few standout episodes. The best way this could have gone was Harmon-Chevy Chase-NBC waiting another year to kill each other and the show being 4 seasons and no movie going out on a high. But it wasn't meant to be. 

And since I've got nothing but time for lists, here's my personal top episodes

Spoiler

1. 3x04 – Remedial Chaos Theory

2. 2x09 – Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design

3. 1x23 – Modern Warfare

4. 2x14 – Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

5. 2x19 – Critical Film Studies

6. 2x11 – Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas

7. 1x17 – Physical Education

8. 3x14 – Pillows and Blankets

9. 2x21 – Paradigms of Human Memory

10. 3x19 – Curriculum Unavailable