charlie Jatinder

Name & Rate the Movies/TV You've Watched.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I just watched the Demon Slayer show and movie too. The movie rules, it's a lot of fun but not as good as the best arc in the show (the spider family stuff)

Exactly my thoughts. I did shared same views on WoKJ, there anime fans think this arc was better, me being anime noob just took their word but Mt. Natagumo arc would have been better movie.

I do think they made the right choice making Mugen Train the movie (obviously it's paying off). It's like 90% fighting so it's pretty hype to watch in a crowd. The spider family were more interesting demons but mugen train has more dynamic action. action sequences set on trains are always cool. trains rule.

• Like 1

Army of the Dead - B-

I liked the opening sequence and the 3rd act action was pretty fun but that WHOOOLE middle part was long and dragged. Also, all that in focus/out of focus blurry back ground stuff was kind of annoying. 

• Like 1

May

Movies

The Thin Red Line - 9/10 

Scarface - 9/10 

A Quiet Place Part II - 8.5/10 

Shallow Grave - 8/10 - Danny Boyle’s first film, tight thriller about bad people. Christopher Eccleston is A*.

Do the Right Thing - 8/10 

The Quick and the Dead - 8/10 - I’m always gonna love some Sam Raimi (except for Oz, Oz never happened)

Only the Brave - 8/10 - Surprisingly moved my this, the bromance with Taylor Kitsch and Miles Teller made me tear up. I have much more faith in Top Gun’s dramatic elements after this. 

The Taking of Pelham 123 - 8/10 - The original, was a lot funnier than I was expecting. 

Ed Wood - 8/10 - I miss this Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.

The Mitchells vs the Machines - 8/10

Dead Presidents - 8/10 

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - 7/10 - Beautiful locations/cinematography

The Final Girls 7/10 - Fun. self aware, a little cheap looking, solid character arc.

Clue 7/10 - Get’s funnier as it goes on. By the last act it’s a laugh a minute. Tim Curry is incredible. 

Brightburn 6/10 - Dumb characters, takes a while for the kills to start, but when they do it’s entertaining/gruesome. 

The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It - 6/10 

Stowaway 6/10 - Gravity but not as good, still watchable. Doesn’t earn any emotional beats. 

Army of the Dead 5/10 - Doesn’t live up to the promise of it’s splashy posters and opening. Dull, dreary, liked the Zombie hierarchy. The last half hour where everything goes to shit is pretty entertaining. 

TV

Mare of Eastown - 9/10

Castlevania S4 - 8/10 - Solid finale, series peaks with S2 but really satisfying ending. 

Friends: The Reunion - 8/10 - I have the same pros and cons as everyone else but I just felt so emotional watching this. 

Love, Death + Robots S2 - 7/10

Yasuke - 6/10 

Get out to a cinema to see A Quiet Place Part II if you feel safe enough to do so and cinemas are open. It’s the perfect cinema is back movie (whereas Conjuring let me down a little). Thrilling, tense, heartfelt. Krasinski pulls from the Spielberg bag of tricks so well. That opening was incredible. 

And if you’re at home Mare of Eastown is the one to watch. Loved watching this show week to week, my favourite thing on tv for a while. Masterclass in storytelling, tone, performances etc. What an emotional, entertaining and powerful rollercoaster this was. 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

May

Movies

Clue 7/10 - Get’s funnier as it goes on. By the last act it’s a laugh a minute. Tim Curry is incredible. 

Spectacular take, except your number needs to move up to 9.5 or so...this is a top 10 comedy of all time, and still timeless.

I started watching The OC a bit over a month ago. Just started season 2 and this show just goes wild lmao. There are 3 different love triangles (more like love squares or even love pentagons) going on simultaneously and it's just crazy. Why aren't TV shows this fun made anymore?

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I started watching The OC a bit over a month ago. Just started season 2 and this show just goes wild lmao. There are 3 different love triangles (more like love squares or even love pentagons) going on simultaneously and it's just crazy. Why aren't TV shows this fun made anymore?

Great show, season 3 goes way more of the rails in a bad way but it gets good again in season 4 when they kinda know they are getting canceled. Enjoy.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Great show, season 3 goes way more of the rails in a bad way but it gets good again in season 4 when they kinda know they are getting canceled. Enjoy.

Seems like it suffers from the some of the same problem that the 2nd season of Everwood did (another 2000s teen drama I recently watched and really liked). 

Only the Brave. Very sweet movie and the final minutes hit me like a ton of bricks. It's been a while since I had such a good cry.

Hillbilly Elegy. Well it's trash but there's that one scene of Amy Adams popping pills and roller skating like a maniac inside an ICU that I'll never forget. 

Tenebre. Haven't seen much Argento but this gotta be one of the best ones. Gorgeous and stylish in a breathtaking way. The dubbing was hilarious but at this point it's a feature of Italian cinema of that era.

Invincible season 1. I really liked it. I guess the gore gets a bit silly at times and the general gist of the "mystery" is pretty obvious from episode 2 but as a whole it really won me over by the end. I still think I missed some stuff about the world it takes place in like

Spoiler

-Does it ever explain why the maskless heroes never get recognized? Or are we suppose to take it as a their Clark Kent disguise?

-I get the general setting that Omni is the Superman of sorts and there are a ton of other "lesser" superheores and supervillains of various strenght and there's an alien invasion every other week. But wtf was that Lion-man that shows up and absolutely destroys everyone like it's nothing and then dissapears?

I really enjoyed it all though, even the diversions that slowed down the obvious resolution with Mark and his dad. And even that resolution was only obvious in the sense that you get very early that he was probably send on Earth by his people to take it rather than protect it, but I thought it would go the way of him loving his family and wanting to cut a deal for them or maybe even secretly help the humans or sth but the show went brutal with his character and was all the more powerful for it.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 5

April:

A lot of Mark Wahlberg this month

To Catch a Thief - 8/10

Pain and Gain - 7/10

Wheels on Meals - 7/10. The action in this is fantastic but the comedy is terrible. The last 20 minutes pretty much saves this movie.

Gamer - 8/10

Den of Theives - 7/10

The Last Boy Scout - 9/10

Play Misty for Me - 7/10

The Departed (rewatch) - 9/10

Jackie Brown - 9/10

We Own the Night - 10/10. James Gray is so good at handling family drama and incorporating it into different genres. Would probably put Phoenix's performance here in his top 3 and easily Wahlberg's best and most subtle performance.

Mortal Kombat (2020) - 5/10

Domino (2006) - 9/10. Probably Tony Scott's most Tony Scott film. Equally sincere as it is vile and cynical.

The Happening - 9/10

Dirty Harry - 9/10

Election (2005) - 8/10. Probably the kind of film I need to rewatch after watching more To films. I got way too caught up on the details of the confusing plot here to properly enjoy it. But the ending just shook me to the core.

Mitchells vs the Machines - 4/10. People have such low standards for western animation lmao. Some neat visual ideas but this was so boring. Olivia Colman best part here.

Withour Remorse - 6/10.

TV - 

Falcon and the Winter Soldier - Feige consecutively making the worst shit he's ever made with this and the previous show . Can't believe that finale is real. 4/10

Olive Kitteridge - 8/10

Everwood - A really comforting but sappy tv show. The characters get way too mopey and unlikable in season 2 but the rest of the show is a lot of fun. Hard to find a show that feels lived in like this. 

The OC - Really having fun with this one so far.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 4

May:

Pulse - 7/10

Brother - 6/10. Had to watch this for my Slavic class final. Interesting micro-budget film that like a lot of 70s gangster movie imitations just is more aesthetically interesting than thematically.

The Mortal Storm - 10/10. Probably the best movie I've seen from Hollywood about Nazism.

Taking of Pelham One Two Three - I love Scott's remake and the original is equally as brilliant for different reasons. Matthau is so good in this and it contains the most memorable final shot I've seen in a while.

Badlands - 7/10

Black Narcissus - 8/10

Woman in the Window - 5/10. Somehow better than I expected lol. Would take something like this over almost anything I saw come out of Netflix the year before.

Blood Work - 6/10. Fun low-tier Eastwood. The twist here is pretty easy to predict and it's generically plotted but like with a lot of Eastwood's film, his patient storytelling and the hangout tone is what makes it unique.

Aloha - 9/10. Probably my favourite Hollywood romcom in a decade. A cute, fun, and compassionate romcom that's very very clearly made by someone who is passionate both for this place and these characters. Emma Stone gives her career best performance in this (and so does John Krasinski) and makes the controversy surrounding her casting kinda overblown. And it looks stunning, which is more than I can say for anything else that has recently come out from this genre.

Shooter - 8/10

Army of the Dead - 6/10

Anger Management - 6/10

Sneakers - 8/10. 

Rumble in the Bronx - 8/10

The Year of Living Dangerously - 6/10

Cruella - 3/10

Main Hoon Na - 8/10. The long shot in the first song is completely insane.

Wrath of Man - 8/10

TV:

Futurama - Hilarious show that's unxpectedly more complex and emotional than you'd expect from a show like this. Took a break after season 4 to continue watching The OC.

Bad Batch - First two episodes are really fun but the last two were so boring.

Mare of Easttown - 9/10

More of The OC

• Like 5

May

Dirty Dancing - 7/10

Mortal Kombat (2021) - 3/10

The Long Kiss Goodnight - 8/10

Man with a Movie Camera - 9/10 (would have been 10/10, but the editing was a bit too frenetic for my sensitive eyes :()

The Story of Robin Hood - 5/10

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist - 7/10 (Whee-ooh-whee-ooh-whee-ooh)

A Face in the Crowd - 10/10

The Bishop's Wife - 8/10 (didn't know this was a Christmas movie. Oops!)

True Grit (2010) - 8/10

Doubt - 9/10

Shrek - 9/10

Those Who Wish Me Dead - 4/10

101 Dalmatians (1961) - 10/10

Yellow Submarine - 8/10

101 Dalmatians (1996) -5/10

Friends: The Reunion - 6/10 (James Corden is a disease!)

A Quiet Place - 7/10

A Quiet Place: Part II - 7/10

Cruella - 6/10

Planning to watch a bunch of Pride-themed movies this month! And also Fast and Furious movies maybe I dunno. That...should be an interesting combo

• Like 5

May

Witness (1985) - 6/10

*The Fast and the Furious (2001) - 6/10

Heat (1963) - 7/10

*The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) - 9/10

*Chungking Express (1994) - 9/10. Seen on the big screen twice. Don't watch this new Wong "restoration" if you can help it, it has "Dreams" (the Faye Wong song from the home improvement montage and the end credits) play over the earlier scene of Leung slowly drinking coffee which is a George Lucas-fucking-with-the-OT-level offence. 

You and Me (1971) - 6/10

*The Ascent (1977) - 9/10

Come and See (1985) - 7/10

Byelorussian Station (1971) - 7/10

*The House That Jack Built (2018) - 7/10

Better Luck Tomorrow (2002) - 5/10

*2 Fast 2 Furious (2003) - 6/10

*The Maltese Falcon (1941) - 8/10

*The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) - 6/10

Fast & Furious (2009) - 5/10

*Fast Five (2011) - 6/10

*Fast & Furious 6 (2013) - 6/10

*Furious 7 (2015) - 6/10

F9 (2021) - 6/10

New Order (2020) - 2/10

*Annie Hall (1977) - 6/10

*Saturday Night Fever (1977) - 9/10

Escape from New York (1981) - 6/10

*The Lion King (1994) - 6/10

*The Incredibles (2004) - 9/10

*Dazed and Confused (1993) - 10/10

*Corpse Bride (2005) - 7/10

*Bullitt (1968) - 8/10

*The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - 7/10

Ranking of F&F movies because that bunch of ratings on its own is kinda meaningless and I like some of them notably better than others even if I rate them the same:

Tokyo Drift

[gap]

[gap]

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Joel M said:

-Does it ever explain why the maskless heroes never get recognized? Or are we suppose to take it as a their Clark Kent disguise?

They do sort of address this and make a joke out of it with Eve saying it's a psychological thing that they don't get recognised. Kinda just hand waving it away but whatever.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Main Hoon Na - 8/10. The long shot in the first song is completely insane.

You like Farah Khan films a lot. Wish I could. I liked these films as kid, but recent watches of OSO were ehh. I am interested in seeing your reaction for Happy New Year. It was awful for me. Main Hoon Naa is quite fun, though its been like 5-6 years since I last watched it and my taste has changed a lot since then.

MHN > OSO > HNY 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

You like Farah Khan films a lot. Wish I could. I liked these films as kid, but recent watches of OSO were ehh. I am interested in seeing your reaction for Happy New Year. It was awful for me. Main Hoon Naa is quite fun, though its been like 5-6 years since I last watched it and my taste has changed a lot since then.

MHN > OSO > HNY 

I watched Happy New Year a couple ago. Wouldn't say it's a good film but it's really stupid in a fun way.

Edited by lorddemaxus