Eric the Marxist

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

This movie's whole vibe is much more American though, idk, I still think this does like the same 50-60 range as most blockbusters this year but I don't think international numbers will translate as well.

Not sure about that. Disaster movies tend to have stronger numbers OS (2012, Day after Tomorrow, San Andreas, Gestorm...)
So happy reviews are quite solid for Twisters! It's time for a good comeback for this genre. 

Just come out from the movie. The movie is to me, a step up from the original. A surprise to me is how much Daisy carry this movie. Just where is this girl coming from? She give this movie a heart, a soul. Her performance is well on spot. She is so pretty in every angle and almost become a VFX itself.  The twister is exactly what you need as summer flick. Thrill, fun, loud, old-fashioned romance build-up. My only complain the disaster sequences can be too repetitive going into 2nd half of the movie. I wish the sequences could be more creative and more intense. 

• Like 6

Just rewatched the original for the first time in maybe 20 years. It holds up so well. Those practical effects really paid off.

Most of the blockbusters we’ve seen in the last 10 years will look like shit soon because of dated CGI. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Most of the blockbusters we’ve seen in the last 10 years will look like shit soon because of dated CGI. 

Or the CG gets even worse and more "realistic" and everybody is nostalgic for the blockbusters from 2014-2024.

I still think the visual effects were in some ways more impressive in 2005-2015 than they are today. More seamless and they blend into their environment far more naturally than what we have today.

• Like 3

I have seen nothing FX wise in recent years comparable to what Bay accomplished with Transformers in 2007 and Pearl Harbor in 2001. Avatar is giant cartoon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not great tbh. Brazil opening is downright terrible. Mexico looks ok compared to Top Gun but bad compared to GxK, reverse is the case with Australia.

Gonna need that red-blooded 'murica energy to turn out to be profitable

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Noctis said:

I still think the visual effects were in some ways more impressive in 2005-2015 than they are today. More seamless and they blend into their environment far more naturally than what we have today.

Lots of big 2020s blockbusters look too cartoonish, sterile and fake, It's a widespread problem with some celebrated exceptions.

• Like 4

Good news for Universal at least is they only need to worry about the domestic take. Warner likely gonna be taking another bath though unless Europe really turns out for this.

I am curious where the other $4.8 mil in that $11.5mil estimate came from. It opened in a few smaller European territories as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Good news for Universal at least is they only need to worry about the domestic take. Warner likely gonna be taking another bath though unless Europe really turns out for this.

I am curious where the other $4.8 mil in that $11.5mil estimate came from. It opened in a few smaller European territories as well.

That's not how it works from my understanding. Universal is going to get more relatively domestic and less relatively foreign because of the distribution but it'll still get roughly 65% of foreign

• Like 1

I think this is getting a B+ CinemaScore and the biggest complaint will be its boring.  Maybe, 5 mins of tornado action in the first 1 hour and 45 mins.  The tornado scenes are not very exciting.  I'll be shocked if that reported 200m budget is real.  The movie isnt epic and doesnt need to be seen on the biggest screen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I think this is getting a B+ CinemaScore and the biggest complaint will be its boring.  Maybe, 5 mins of tornado action in the first 1 hour and 45 mins.  The tornado scenes are not very exciting.  I'll be shocked if that reported 200m budget is real.  The movie isnt epic and doesnt need to be seen on the biggest screen. 

lame

3 hours ago, JimmyB said:

Pretty lame if true. How the hell can you mess up a sequel to Twister?.

Even 'Into the Storm' had amazing, and long, tornado sequences, sequences that blew away the orig Twister, and that film had like a 30mil budget or something.