Eric Duncan

Twisters | Uni/WB | July 19, 2024 | A remake (?) to the 1996 classic

57 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Maybe they have but quietly? I'd say it's possible Powell needs to promote Anyone But You but that's being completely dumped with next to zero promotion so probably not a factor.

I am pretty sure I saw set photos the other day that are current so I they think they have restarted.

The OG has always been one of the point blank dumbest concepts for a blockbuster ever to me, and I will remain bewildered and baffled the GA at the time ate it up. I give a ridiculously small chance modern audiences would go for it, and I also would be shocked if “nostalgia” for the franchise exists today at all. 

The OG is still in the top 100 adjusted for inflation DOM all this time later!! And it was way higher at the time of release. You can point to any other movie in the top 100 and it will make infinitely more sense to me how it happened to be huge at the time, but this one is a total mystery to me. Talk about your epitome right time, right place scenario I guess 

All I know is as a kid I was really into studying extreme weather so this movie was like catnip for me. Begged my parents to order it on PPV.

I think Helen, Paxton, and deBont also had some solid pull at the time between Mad About You, James Cameron movies, and Speed, combined w/ the Spielberg/Crichton brand 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

All I know is as a kid I was really into studying extreme weather so this movie was like catnip for me. Begged my parents to order it on PPV.

I think Helen, Paxton, and deBont also had some solid pull at the time between Mad About You, James Cameron movies, and Speed

The 90s were wild for star power at the box office. Even wilder to think about people like Hunt or Paxton being “stars” by today’s standards. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

The OG is still in the top 100 adjusted for inflation DOM all this time later!! And it was way higher at the time of release. You can point to any other movie in the top 100 and it will make infinitely more sense to me how it happened to be huge at the time, but this one is a total mystery to me. Talk about your epitome right time, right place scenario I guess 

twister_cow_getty_ringer.0.jpg

• Like 2

The fact that they're already trying to explain this movie's apparently convoluted connection to the original in the press (worked out great for Lightyear!) gives the impression they already know they're in trouble from a marketing standpoint. The cast for this is actually pretty good, hopefully the movie itself isn't a dud.

13 hours ago, filmlover said:

The fact that they're already trying to explain this movie's apparently convoluted connection to the original in the press (worked out great for Lightyear!) gives the impression they already know they're in trouble from a marketing standpoint. The cast for this is actually pretty good, hopefully the movie itself isn't a dud.

This article was based on throwaway questions an actor got interviewing for another movie he was promoting,

28 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Because it's easy personal drama in the context of survival

Although I do think the writing of the subplot in twister was pretty lame

true the couple goes through a lot and get back together. 

However I feel this was a simple win, just have helen hunt who pays tribute to bill paxton who died in a tornado and the son or daughter devotes to research. It simple but that would hook in fans of the original 100% 

Edited by Torontofan